first goose

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

first goose

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:10 pm

We're halfway through her first season and all has went great. Shes doing great with ducks on ponds, fields, and from the boat. Finally started getting some geese around just before Christmas. Had a pond holding about 20 geese. All my buddies were working so went solo. Wind was perfect for setting up where they were the previous day. Had a group of 4 come in and lite 10 yards out knocking over 2 duck decoys. Got 3 in 3 shots without reloading which was a first for me. Sent Journey after her first goose and all was great. Except when she got to the bank she dropped it and drug up on the flat by the neck. Which with with ducks she brings em right to me before shaking. She's 53 lbs and I think her body size and mouth are a little on the small side. I know I've seen several dogs that size have no problem. Im hoping after she builds more muscles up and and fills out a little more she'll return to heel with em. Im very pleased with her 1st season performance though. She has been great and made waterfowling that much more fun.
Attachments
20131218_075503.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Re: first goose

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Geese are big! You hold a 3 lb duck in your mouth and a 12lb goose in your mouth... You will have trouble! They have to learn how to hold them, it just takes experience.. Even some of the bigger birds are going to be hard on dogs. My dog is a big 90 lb male and has picked up lots of geese over the last 5 years.. but still the first couple of geese a year he has a little trouble with Like he has to get a couple in his mouth to remember how to handle them!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah that was my thinking also. I just picked it up and rubbed her head. I think she'll be okay with time.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:06 pm

She did great. Bella's first goose she ran out to the waters edge and looked back and forth at me a few times. She then gave me a weird look that seemed to say... What is that? It is huge! My buddies GWP retrieved that first goose.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby RCLCJR » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:58 am

You gotta love the first season with a young dog. How old is she?? I have a black male that is on his first season and he did really \sh
well with geese too. Nothing better than watching a young dog crush a winged goose.
RCLCJR
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:05 am

She's 19 months.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

brsutton86
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum