Force Fetch?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Force Fetch?

Postby uglymug » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I own a 3 month old American Water Spaniel. She's my first gundog. Training is proceeding well, but I'm looking to the future. To get to the point, should I force fetch her or not? I guess I don't understand the benefits to force fetching and I hear it dulls the natural retreiving instinct though idk if that's true or not. Any advice would be appreciated.
uglymug
hunter

Re: Force Fetch?

Postby dogyak » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 pm

FF is about so much more than force . It molds the way a dog will accept all training and how the pup will accept the trainer for the rest of it's life. It establishes attitude , compliance, and subservience and firmly establishes you as the key figure for the rest of it's life . A good FF program , the dog will learn to hold , drop , and fetch on command .
I strongly recommend when the time comes too FF your dog , you have a mentor that has done this a few times with success . You can watch all the dvd's out there , it's the small things that are not on the vid's that can bite you . The other thing is how too read the dog , they are different . FF will not in what so ever harm the natural retrieving instinct , but a new trainer can . Find a retrieving club or someone who will show you the ropes and get a program . Look at the sticky above on programs , good luck !
dogyak
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Idk if these recent posts are an honest attempt to get info or just a gag, but who is concerned with ff at 3 months and who gives a dog with sore gums and teeth a denta bone? Am I being a fool for responding here? Anyways, there's a ton of stuff to be accomplished before ff. I wish you luck and welcome to the forums.
FFT
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:53 pm

FFT wrote:Idk if these recent posts are an honest attempt to get info or just a gag, but who is concerned with ff at 3 months and who gives a dog with sore gums and teeth a denta bone? Am I being a fool for responding here? Anyways, there's a ton of stuff to be accomplished before ff. I wish you luck and welcome to the forums.

I know Penny (the dog) and I are nowhere near that point. I just wanted some honest opinions on it. This last year is honestly the first time I've ever really come across the term. It seems like a good system, I just don't know much about it. Good luck to you as well.
uglymug
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Find a program and follow it. If they FF then go ahead and do it as well. Most american based programs will use an ecollar and FF.
boykinhntr
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum