New pup and new to training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I just got a new black lab she is 8 weeks old. I know she is too young to start training hard. I have her started with a sit command and I would say it is stuck. She is potty trained and plays hard. I have been taking her in the yard and throwing dummies (10 yards) and I'll have her sit and hold her collar then tell her to fetch and she'll watch them fall and run to them then just start playing. I feel like this is a good start but with me being new to this whole training idea is there any other tips to get her started retrieving and being obedient? Also she is a big biter any tips to help me get her to quit biting.

Thanks for any help!
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Re: New pup and new to training

Postby cn44 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Get the video Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillmann. I followed it step by step with my pup and by the time they are finished with the video they are ready for formal training and it transitions nicely to a more advanced program.
cn44
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm no expert, and I definitely recommend you picking up some kinda puppy program. I was in your shoes a few months ago and wish I would have.

BigShotOutdoors wrote: I'll have her sit and hold her collar then tell her to fetch and she'll watch them fall and run to them then just start playing

Don't worry so much about steadiness now that will come later. The anticipation to get to the bumper is so high she's not thinking about bring it back to you cause your just gonna take it and make her wait to play again lol. You want to find a hallway or somewhere the only option is to run back towards you. Get real excited when she brings one back and make the reward for bringing bumpers back another throw. Throw it immediately when she brings it back. Let her get real excited and break to go get it. Keep it short, 3-4 throws, then end the game at the peak of the excitement to keep her wanting more.

BigShotOutdoors wrote: Also she is a big biter any tips to help me get her to quit biting.

Plenty of chew toys and band-aids. Puppy's have to learn how hard they can bite and what is/isn't acceptable. Often they learn this from their litter mates and mother, but if separated too early then you have to teach them. Allow mouthing but if she starts to bite too hard yelp or say oww in a loud voice. It may startle the pup and hopefully she will back off if she doesn't just ignore her, stand up, walk away, ect so she gets the idea that you won't play if she's gonna bite. It's how she'll grow to understand her bite strength. In general just try to avoid the situation if possible put a toy in her mouth if she starts trying to nip.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 pm

SC_YellowDawg wrote:I'm no expert, and I definitely recommend you picking up some kinda puppy program. I was in your shoes a few months ago and wish I would have.

BigShotOutdoors wrote: I'll have her sit and hold her collar then tell her to fetch and she'll watch them fall and run to them then just start playing

Don't worry so much about steadiness now that will come later. The anticipation to get to the bumper is so high she's not thinking about bring it back to you cause your just gonna take it and make her wait to play again lol. You want to find a hallway or somewhere the only option is to run back towards you. Get real excited when she brings one back and make the reward for bringing bumpers back another throw. Throw it immediately when she brings it back. Let her get real excited and break to go get it. Keep it short, 3-4 throws, then end the game at the peak of the excitement to keep her wanting more.

BigShotOutdoors wrote: Also she is a big biter any tips to help me get her to quit biting.

Plenty of chew toys and band-aids. Puppy's have to learn how hard they can bite and what is/isn't acceptable. Often they learn this from their litter mates and mother, but if separated too early then you have to teach them. Allow mouthing but if she starts to bite too hard yelp or say oww in a loud voice. It may startle the pup and hopefully she will back off if she doesn't just ignore her, stand up, walk away, ect so she gets the idea that you won't play if she's gonna bite. It's how she'll grow to understand her bite strength. In general just try to avoid the situation if possible put a toy in her mouth if she starts trying to nip.

Nice post.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Update on Teal:
Looking at my post five months ago.. 1) I feel like an idiot from expecting that much from a pup 2) I realize how much both of her has learned. I started her at 3 months with the bill hillman's starting a retriever program and that was great help. After completing the program I tailored my own more advanced training session for Teal.

Teal is now 8 months old. She is completely off lead with sport dog e-collar with heel (walking heel), sit/stay, place, and here commands. She is doing great with retrieves singles, doubles, & sometimes triples (bumpers & birds). She's great in the water and in field. I worked through her barking with a garmin bark shock collar while kenneled. Next week hopefully she will start force fetching.
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Proud of my pup
Attachments
Teal training.jpg
Teal training.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Teal retrieving.jpg
Teal retrieving.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 711 times
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Gotcha
Last edited by Bluesky2012 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Think he's coming back to a post from December. :lol3:

Bur OP - is that a pinch collar on the dog or what?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Bur OP - is that a pinch collar on the dog or what?[/quote]

Yes, that's a pinch collar... I think it worked a lot better than a traditional choke chain
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:41 pm

BigShotOutdoors wrote:Bur OP - is that a pinch collar on the dog or what?

Yes, that's a pinch collar... I think it worked a lot better than a traditional choke chain[/quote]

I just wondered why it was still on given your progress off lead. An older picture I assume. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Yea that picture was from about a month and a half ago
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 am

BigShotOutdoors wrote:Update on Teal:
Looking at my post five months ago.. 1) I feel like an idiot from expecting that much from a pup 2) I realize how much both of her has learned. I started her at 3 months with the bill hillman's starting a retriever program and that was great help. After completing the program I tailored my own more advanced training session for Teal.

Teal is now 8 months old. She is completely off lead with sport dog e-collar with heel (walking heel), sit/stay, place, and here commands. She is doing great with retrieves singles, doubles, & sometimes triples (bumpers & birds). She's great in the water and in field. I worked through her barking with a garmin bark shock collar while kenneled. Next week hopefully she will start force fetching.

are you getting a new program before you FF or just making it up as you go?
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:23 pm

are you getting a new program before you FF or just making it up as you go?[/quote]

I'm getting help from a local trainer.. Should go a lot smoother than if I did it myself!
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:55 am

Good move getting help from a trainer. You should be able to learn something from their mentoring and it will overall be easier on your dog and you. F.F. can be a real chore.
Good luck.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:05 am

Update on teal: she has officially completed Force fetching she was on the table for about a week then we moved to the ground and this is a video of her doing a walking fetch. Finally we did a stick fetch (I never heard of before) where we would tell her to fetch and give her a little tap with a stick on the rear (distraction) and continue her stimulation whether be an ear pinch or e-collar.
(I got help from a local training to help with the force fetching process. I feel like I couldn't have done it myself)
This next month we're going to work on continuing her steadiness and working around guns. And get her ready for teal season.. It'll be here before we know it!!
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 am

Sorry it wouldn't let me post the video from my phone
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum