Wanted too buy my dog today

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Wanted too buy my dog today

Postby dogyak » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Had a guy at the ramp and offer too buy my dog , let me think about it . No Way dude !
Attachments
12 duck hunt 2 (248x330).jpg
12 duck hunt 2 (248x330).jpg (97.52 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
dogyak
hunter

Re: Wanted too buy my dog today

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm

only way my dog would be sold is if someone offered me 5 million dollars and then I would still have to think about it. wait thought about it and nope couldn't sell the little girl.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

If the price was right he'd be sold. I can make another one just like him.
labman63
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 pm

When someone offers enough money for your dog, sell, sell, sell!
He could die tomorrow.

We get emotionally attached to these animals, and it clouds our judgement to the point of being irrational.
I guess that's part of what makes us Human.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 pm

I've always said everything I own is forsale except my wife and my dog.
And sometimes I question myself.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:I've always said everything I own is forsale except my wife and my dog.

Spry
What if she says; "It's me or the dog!"?
copterdoc
hunter

Postby click » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:21 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Spry Yellowdog wrote:I've always said everything I own is forsale except my wife and my dog.

Spry
What if she says; "It's me or the dog!"?

I may be single if the wife see's this but, if i had to choose.....I'd help her pack.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:08 am

Guess I would have to lock the wife and the dog in the trunk of the car for a hour.
Which ever one was happy to see me when I opened it. Keep that one. :thumbsup:
Seriously my wife would never let our dogs go anywhere. I walk in the door from hunting,
and the mutts muddy, bloody, frozen and wet she just says come to mommy she will take care of you.
She could care less if i'm ok.....

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby tgs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 pm

labman63 wrote:If the price was right he'd be sold. I can make another one just like him.

I knew that one was coming :lol3:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby Takem_Brewer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm

copterdoc wrote:When someone offers enough money for your dog, sell, sell, sell!
He could die tomorrow.

We get emotionally attached to these animals, and it clouds our judgement to the point of being irrational.

To me, that is irrational. Who is to say that not selling your dog for any amount of money is clouded judgement? Just because you say so? Some people, including myself, have the one dog that they would never contemplate selling for any amount of money.
Hiland Chesapeakes
www.hilandpeakes.com
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

There's days it would take a pretty hefty sum to get me to part with my dog but there are other days I would pay someone to take her to end my frustration with her. All in all, I'm glad I've never parted with her. We're a pretty good match, she's just as stubborn and hard headed as I am...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
skelso98
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 pm

Takem_Brewer wrote:
copterdoc wrote:When someone offers enough money for your dog, sell, sell, sell!
He could die tomorrow.

To me, that is irrational. Who is to say that not selling your dog for any amount of money is clouded judgement? Just because you say so? Some people, including myself, have the one dog that they would never contemplate selling for any amount of money.
Believing that your dog is priceless, is as irrational as believing that your pick-up truck is priceless.

The rational way to look at dog ownership, involves placing a reasonable value on the animal.
That value will change throughout the dog's life.

If you can't assign a dollar value to your dog, it's because you are being irrational and unreasonable.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm

I guess everything's for sale then as long as you get your price. Great society we live in........
don novicki
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:11 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Takem_Brewer wrote:
He could die tomorrow.

Believing that your dog is priceless, is as irrational as believing that your pick-up truck is priceless.

The rational way to look at dog ownership, involves placing a reasonable value on the animal.

If you can't assign a dollar value to your dog, it's because you are being irrational and unreasonable.

I'm pretty sure his point isn't that his dog is priceless, it is just that it isn't for sale. You can assign a monetary value to just about anything you own, but that doesn't mean you are willing to voluntarily part with it for that price. That makes perfect sense to me.
sharris
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm

copterdoc wrote:
Takem_Brewer wrote:
He could die tomorrow.

------------
Honestly, I look at these "traits" associated with dog-ownership and bonding as a positive. This is the drivel spoken by folks that are not what I would call true "dog people."
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:32 pm

He could die tomorrow.

and so could I...and I would die being the guy that sold out his beloved dog to some lazy and rich d bag. i just couldnt do it. i dont knock people that could.
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:39 am

Are your children for sale? Or any family member for that matter? My dogs are part of the family.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:11 am

Tyler Radke wrote:Are your children for sale? Or any family member for that matter? My dogs are part of the family.

Exactly. My dog lays at my feet every night until its time for bed, Then locks the house with me, and when I finally go to the bedroom she follows me, stays beside me until I crawl in bed, then she crawls in bed.

I aint saying there isn't an amount of money a guy could give me for her, but the guy wouldn't give me the amount of money it would take. Guaranteed. That pup is part of our family. I guess if it just lived in a kennel run out back and the only use she was was chasing the feathered creatures, maybe, but that's just not the case for our family.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:35 am

krazybronco2 wrote:only way my dog would be sold is if someone offered me 5 million dollars and then I would still have to think about it. wait thought about it and nope couldn't sell the little girl.

Wow. I would definitely sell at that price. That would allow me to quit working for the rest of my life so I could spend my days hunting and training my next beast. It would also set up my family tree and future generations of my family to prosper beyond my wildest dreams. I would never be willing to shortchange my family to such a great extent for my dog. :wink: That is just me though.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

A friend of mine has two different mentalities. He owns Bluetick hounds for bear hunting. They are kept in a kennel apart from his home. He views these animals as tools, and treats them as such. He's invested a lot of time and money into them, but he would definitely sell one for a decent price and not look back. He knows he can replace one.

He also owns a GWP. This is his duck/upland/family dog. This dog stays in the home with him, sleeps in his bed, plays with his kids. I don't think there's a price anyone could pay that would persuade him to get rid of that dog. I think this neatly shows the two different perspectives of dog ownership.
uglymug
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:00 am

uglymug wrote:I think this neatly shows the two different perspectives of dog ownership.
Not really.

My dogs live in the house, and are companions in the home, as well as working dogs in the field.

However, a part of the Family they are not.
They are animals that I own. Not Humans, that I am related to.

When people lose that distinction, they are not merely being irrational. They have completely lost their minds.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:43 am

The truest words ever spoken about dog ownership were by Warren Grimsby of Warcon Kennels. He used to say "Whenever someone offers you a lot of money for a dog, take it because you're only a single heart beat away from nothing".

A client had a mediocre dog (we had to qualifying wins on her but I knew she'd never be an Open dog) and a lady offered him $10,000.00 for her. I told him to sell, he didn't. About three weeks later he found her dead in her kennel, killed by a brown recluse spider.

I had a great youngster of my own I was bringing along. He was a year and a half and finished every derby and qualifying he ran, never winning, only jamming or placing. I loved him. He was a Honcho pup, huge, smart as his dad, and a character. I was at a trial in Billings, Mt. and he jammed a derby and qual. A person came up to me and offered me $8,000.00. I told him to double it and I'd think about it. He wouldn't go that high so I took him home. Two weeks later he started limping on a hind leg. I took him to the vet and he was riddled with cancer. The dog was put to sleep and died in my arms. I buried him on the face of a mountain overlooking our kennel. Only a heartbeat away from nothing.

I personally have mixed emotions on this. If you don't have a lot of money, and someone offers you enough money that it could change your life, you probably have an obligation to your family to sell that dog. You can always train another one, maybe not as good, but functional.

If the money would not make a huge difference in your life, I wouldn't sell. Nobody could buy the dog I have now. At my age, she may be my last dog and it's worth it to me to keep her. I think of the great dog's I've sold, anywhere from $7000.00 to $15,000.00 and at the time I needed the money and any dog I had was for sale. There are nights that I lay in bed, remembering those dogs, remembering what and how much they gave for me, and I think that if there is a Hell, I'm living in it now.

So once again I find myself very much at odds with Doc; these dogs, they become a living, breathing, part of us and selling one is like tearing a small piece of your soul away. It is nearly as painful as losing a loved one, because really, you are. I've lost enough loved ones in my life.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 am

copterdoc wrote:
uglymug wrote:I think this neatly shows the two different perspectives of dog ownership.
Not really.

My dogs live in the house, and are companions in the home, as well as working dogs in the field.

However, a part of the Family they are not.
They are animals that I own. Not Humans, that I am related to.

When people lose that distinction, they are not merely being irrational. They have completely lost their minds.

Well.....I would guess that just about everyone that has a dog has lost their mind. Including myself. What makes your opinion the end all be all about a dogs value to its owner? I've learned the distinction between things that can be replaced and things that can not. My dog's personality and love for me and my family can't easily be replaced. Her drive and ability aren't just common traits that are found or developed in every dog. This makes her unique and a special part of my life.

My truck on the other hand, they're making hundreds as we speak that are exactly the same in every way shape and form.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby labsforme » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

I have sold pups that didn't work out for me but I never sold to a home or person that wouldn't give them a good home. They would have to be companions and couch potatoes first. I turned down people that would have made them kennel dogs.
Gonehuntin' the first lab I owned was by NAFC Trumarc Zip Code x Warcon's Tickled Pink. As in WARren and CONnie .I knew them when I lived in Sacto. Are you still trialing? Are you here in the NW?

Jeff G
labsforme
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 pm

labsforme wrote:Gonehuntin' the first lab I owned was by NAFC Trumarc Zip Code x Warcon's Tickled Pink. As in WARren and CONnie .I knew them when I lived in Sacto. Are you still trialing? Are you here in the NW?
Jeff G

Warcon's Tickled Pink; PINKY!! Geeze, you must be old! I spent a couple of winters with Warren and John at Warcon. He was training Pinky and Gator Bait then. Connie was a jewel, what a great lady. We trained together daily for the winters, then Warren and Connie would visit us in the summers at our kennel in Idaho. Do you remember Peter Jones, Warren's client running a dog, probably his last named Buckwheat's Cassinova (FC-AFC). I trained that dog, or should say finished him for his owner then sold him. I also sold a dog to T.J. Lindbloom (owner NFC McGuffy) Dartmoor's Jericho Queen. I derby listed her then got her ready for Qual's. Her owner sold her to T.J.. I know he finished her in some Amateur's but don't know if she ever made her FC. He compared every dog to McGuffy so it was hard to please him with a dog. In his mind, none lived up to McGufy but "Jerri" was one hell of a dog.

The winters I wasn't in Ca. I spent in Arizona and trained a lot with Doug and Jackie Orr. Doug was a truly gifted trainer and Jackie a wonderful lady. Doug trained for Carnation Kennels when they were into Field Trialing and had a dog for them called NFC Butterboy, a great yellow. Judges would try to set tests just for Butterboy that he couldn't do. Doug was a fantastic person to be around. Coming in from the Ca. circuit one spring, we got marooned in Sacramento at the foot of Donner pass. All passes were closed from Ca. except Tehachapee (sp) to the south. Doug spent several days in his Airstream in a parking lot and that pounding rain on the roof of the trailer non stop, nearly drove him nuts. We were supposed to guide waterfowl together one fall (I taught him to call duck and geese) in E. Oregon but I couldn't go. Doug begged me to join him but I didn't. I didn't know he was dieing of cancer of I'd have gone.

I am in Wi. now and no longer trial. I understand Warren is still alive and run's training groups but Connie has passed. Too bad. They were some of my favorite people I have ever been priviliged to know.

Great times, great people.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum