Feeding your hunting dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Feeding your hunting dog

Postby Duckdon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Here is an article put out by Purina on how to feed your hard working dog.
http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/tip-hardwork.jsp
Believe it or not but it's what they recommend.
I talked with one of the Purina Reps about the subject so I bring it up for consideration.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Re: Feeding your hunting dog

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks duckdon. Consistent with what I've heard, read, and gleaned from folks whose opinions I've come to respect.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm

How much are you guys feeding daily during the season. I know every pup is different. I have been feeding her twice a day about 2 or 2.5 cups each time during season. Out of season is significantly less to keep her body shape where I want it. She's a 50 lb lab and a little over 10 mos old.

This is an interesting article, I had always held off feeding the meal prior to hunting but I think I am gonna start the single meal a day plan. Good info.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby tgs » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:16 am

I feed her 2 cups in the a.m. (3-6 a.m.) and 2 cups at night (4-6 p.m.) or when home from gunning. I would not put her in the elite class of energy expended each day though. I feed a 26% protein and crude fat 12% food. She hunts from Oct through Jan and swims the Atlantic on most outings. She will be two in Feb and this is the only feeding schedule she has known.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 am

Had to fight my wife over this issue. She wants to just keep the bowls full at all times.
She won the argument for years.
I started leaving for the whole duck season and did it my way. The dog lost weight because he had been eating the other dogs food as well. He was fat.

After it got where I put food down, Milo eats it like a wolf, and is done, got her to thinking my way. Finally after three dogs.

Milo is happy eating two of these cups full of Purina One every day at around noon. I'm usually done hunting by 10 AM so noon is perfect feeding time. Every single day...
Last edited by aunt betty on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 am

Image Milo is large. Weighs about 90#.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 pm

The way I feed. This backs up the article I have read before about sled dogs. Yet still people feed there dog food and snacks slightly prior and during hunts to "give them energy"
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:How much are you guys feeding daily during the season. I know every pup is different. I have been feeding her twice a day about 2 or 2.5 cups each time during season. Out of season is significantly less to keep her body shape where I want it. She's a 50 lb lab and a little over 10 mos old.

This is an interesting article, I had always held off feeding the meal prior to hunting but I think I am gonna start the single meal a day plan. Good info.

That is similar to the amount I give my 70 lb female. We use a one cup scope and they might heap at times. Please the treats my wife like to give her. My Labs a pretty energetic 18 month old spayed female and she looks lean and muscular. I tried to put some fat on her for duck season but she burns it off. I will back the food down in a couple of weeks when the season is over. I am feeding Nutro High Endurance which is a 30/20 food. I do feed her in the morning before a duck hunt because most of that is sitting and waiting and I want her to have the calories she needs to keep warm. The breeder recommend raw meat balls of 80/20 beef as treats while we are hunting for this reason as well. If we were to go quail or pheasent hunting I would not feed her before hand.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum