Pup not eating right

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Pup not eating right

Postby kburg » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 am

Ive had my 10 week old pup home for 2 weeks now. I have read (I think in one of the stickies) that you should not let a pup that you are trying to house break, have constant access to food or water. My wife and I both work so I feed and water him in the morning and then when I get home around 6. I know it varies, but the purina puppy chow bag says a young pup should be eating 1 3/4 to 4 1/4 cups a day. Mine is only eating about 1 cup (1/2 each feeding) a day. Sometimes he doesnt eat in the morning at all. Is there something I need to do different? I took him to the vet last week to get the shots and everything started. They said he was in very good health. Whats going on?
kburg
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am


Re: Pup not eating right

Postby sharris » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

How big is your dog? Dog food bags tend to overestimate the amount of food that a dog will eat. If your vet says the dog is healthy at 1 cup, then that is probably the right amount for him at his current size. As he grows he will require more food.

For reference my two dogs (40 and 45 lbs) get 2 and 3 cups of high quality food per day plus some table scraps in the fall/winter to add additional calories. They are both lean and muscular. My 40 lb dog is 12 years old and his metabolism has started to slow down so I adjusted his food quantity down a couple years ago to maintain proper weight. Constantly monitoring your dogs body condition will help you determine if you are feeding the correct amount of food and help you know how to adjust it.
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am

kburg, you need to talk with your vet. I can see feeding a little pup twice a day, I feed little guys 3 x per day. I do restrict water intake in the evening but they have free access to water during the day. I ain't no vet so this is not what you should do. You need to discuss it with your vet. Good luck Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
User avatar
Duckdon
hunter
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am
Location: Chugiak, Alaska

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby kburg » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 am

He is only 16 lbs. I guess hes not too far off if your feeding your 40lb dog 2 cups. I do monitor him constantly. Hes not skin and bones by any means but looks like he could put a few more pounds on.



Duckdon, I will give the vet a shout if it continues. Im expecting him to eat more and more. Its not a horribly big deal. I was just looking for a little advice just incase it gets to that point. Thanks to you both for your replies.
kburg
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby uglymug » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 pm

My vet recommended 3 times a day until 12 weeks 1/2 a cup each feeding. Then twice a day after 12 weeks. 1 cup each time. After a while it depends on the weight of the pup. If you see rib outlines, feed more. See some fat, feed less. I'm not sure how that crosses over into other breeds. Mine is 17 pounds at 3 1/2 months. If she reaches 40 pounds she will be a big female.
User avatar
uglymug
hunter
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm
Location: Columbus, WI

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Just FWIW are you feeding plain ole Purina Puppy Chow? If so - I'd get something with better nutritional value. Plus - maybe it'll tatste better to the little guy.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18887
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby SteveInOR » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

Get that pup on some nutro or blue buffalo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
SteveInOR
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby kburg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Ill check out the different food options. Ive just been using this because that is what its mom was on when nursing so I already had to buy it. I think it is 27% protien and 10 or 11% fat. Not positive on that. He ate about a 1/2 cup last night and another half this morning so things may be looking up. Ill keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info everyone.
kburg
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:37 pm

If your pup is one of the larger breed retrievers (not the smaller breeds like a toller, spaniel, etc) which ever food (Purina ProPlan, Euk, Native, or the other quality foods) look for a large breed puppy food to give your pup the best nutrition value.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 am

X2 on changing foods. Puppy Chow has fairly low value food. Try a high grade food with no grain in it. Avoid wheat, corn, and other grain based fillers. I bet the pup will start scarfing down a higher grade food.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6548
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby kburg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 am

The last visit to the vet they gave me a sample bag of large breed science diet. I gave that to him this morning and he seemed to eat more of that than the puppy chow. The kibbles are alot bigger so it took a little longer for him to eat but he did eat it. The nutrient chart wasnt that impressive but it was something different and he did eat it so thats a plus. Im going dog food shopping and will try a couple different brands to see what works best. Thanks again everyone.
kburg
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby uglymug » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm

I've been using Taste of the Wild Wetlands formula for my pup and she's been scarfing it down like mad.
User avatar
uglymug
hunter
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm
Location: Columbus, WI

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:57 am

kburg wrote:The last visit to the vet they gave me a sample bag of large breed science diet. I gave that to him this morning and he seemed to eat more of that than the puppy chow. The kibbles are alot bigger so it took a little longer for him to eat but he did eat it. The nutrient chart wasnt that impressive but it was something different and he did eat it so thats a plus. Im going dog food shopping and will try a couple different brands to see what works best. Thanks again everyone.


Typically if you can buy it at a grocery store it isn't what you want.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18887
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:14 am

Whatever you do get that dog off store brand dog food ie purina, iams, pedigree that stuff is nothing but cardboard and artificial flavoring. Take a look at Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae, Innova.
CurlyChessie
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:35 am

CurlyChessie wrote:Whatever you do get that dog off store brand dog food ie purina, iams, pedigree that stuff is nothing but cardboard and artificial flavoring. Take a look at Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae, Innova.


Slow down just a bit ..... Not all Purina and Iams is "store brand". Yes .... The larger manufacturers do maintain a "store brand", the OP mentioned Purina Puppy Chow and this does fit your description. But they also manufacturer high end foods - Iams, the Euk line of foods and Purina the ProPlan line.

We personally have fed the ProPlan Performance line for over 20 years with great results for our dogs ... Good coats, small stools, healthy dogs. Purina has spent and continues to spend a tremendous amount of time and $'s research when it comes to feeding dogs. It shows something for the quality of the food when the top pros in the country, like Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy, feed ProPlan Performance to the dogs on their trucks they are running. You can say "oh but they are getting sponsored" but do you think they are going to feed a poor quality food when they are trying to push their dogs to win a weekend trial or a National?

To the OP .... Whatever brand of food you decide to go with, buy the best you can afford, pick the appropriate food (large breed puppy vs regular puppy) one that your pup enjoys AND a food that is fairly easy to find in the area you live!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
CurlyChessie wrote:Whatever you do get that dog off store brand dog food ie purina, iams, pedigree that stuff is nothing but cardboard and artificial flavoring. Take a look at Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae, Innova.


Slow down just a bit ..... Not all Purina and Iams is "store brand". Yes .... The larger manufacturers do maintain a "store brand", the OP mentioned Purina Puppy Chow and this does fit your description. But they also manufacturer high end foods - Iams, the Euk line of foods and Purina the ProPlan line.

We personally have fed the ProPlan Performance line for over 20 years with great results for our dogs ... Good coats, small stools, healthy dogs. Purina has spent and continues to spend a tremendous amount of time and $'s research when it comes to feeding dogs. It shows something for the quality of the food when the top pros in the country, like Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy, feed ProPlan Performance to the dogs on their trucks they are running. You can say "oh but they are getting sponsored" but do you think they are going to feed a poor quality food when they are trying to push their dogs to win a weekend trial or a National?

To the OP .... Whatever brand of food you decide to go with, buy the best you can afford, pick the appropriate food (large breed puppy vs regular puppy) one that your pup enjoys AND a food that is fairly easy to find in the area you live!


I'll agree Purina has gotten better, but that still does not mean they are good dog food. We can focus on Purina and look at their over 60 million food product recalls, with their latest December 2013 Purina Pro Plan that you speak so highly of. Or we can look at a good brand like Fromm that was founded just 10 years after Purina and has never had a recall to date....so yes it is pretty obvious the "top pros" are getting thrown money to push a product, vets are the exact same.
CurlyChessie
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

CurlyChessie wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
CurlyChessie wrote:Whatever you do get that dog off store brand dog food ie purina, iams, pedigree that stuff is nothing but cardboard and artificial flavoring. Take a look at Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae, Innova.


Slow down just a bit ..... Not all Purina and Iams is "store brand". Yes .... The larger manufacturers do maintain a "store brand", the OP mentioned Purina Puppy Chow and this does fit your description. But they also manufacturer high end foods - Iams, the Euk line of foods and Purina the ProPlan line.

We personally have fed the ProPlan Performance line for over 20 years with great results for our dogs ... Good coats, small stools, healthy dogs. Purina has spent and continues to spend a tremendous amount of time and $'s research when it comes to feeding dogs. It shows something for the quality of the food when the top pros in the country, like Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy, feed ProPlan Performance to the dogs on their trucks they are running. You can say "oh but they are getting sponsored" but do you think they are going to feed a poor quality food when they are trying to push their dogs to win a weekend trial or a National?

To the OP .... Whatever brand of food you decide to go with, buy the best you can afford, pick the appropriate food (large breed puppy vs regular puppy) one that your pup enjoys AND a food that is fairly easy to find in the area you live!


I'll agree Purina has gotten better, but that still does not mean they are good dog food. We can focus on Purina and look at their over 60 million food product recalls, with their latest December 2013 Purina Pro Plan that you speak so highly of. Or we can look at a good brand like Fromm that was founded just 10 years after Purina and has never had a recall to date....so yes it is pretty obvious the "top pros" are getting thrown money to push a product, vets are the exact same.



Ok .... Please show me where the recall on Purina ProPlan is. Just googled Purina dog food recall and found a voluntary recall on the FDA website in August for Purina One. As to Fromm ... Also found one for them too. Could not find anything for Purina ProPlan.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
CurlyChessie wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
CurlyChessie wrote:Whatever you do get that dog off store brand dog food ie purina, iams, pedigree that stuff is nothing but cardboard and artificial flavoring. Take a look at Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Evo, Canidae, Innova.


Slow down just a bit ..... Not all Purina and Iams is "store brand". Yes .... The larger manufacturers do maintain a "store brand", the OP mentioned Purina Puppy Chow and this does fit your description. But they also manufacturer high end foods - Iams, the Euk line of foods and Purina the ProPlan line.

We personally have fed the ProPlan Performance line for over 20 years with great results for our dogs ... Good coats, small stools, healthy dogs. Purina has spent and continues to spend a tremendous amount of time and $'s research when it comes to feeding dogs. It shows something for the quality of the food when the top pros in the country, like Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy, feed ProPlan Performance to the dogs on their trucks they are running. You can say "oh but they are getting sponsored" but do you think they are going to feed a poor quality food when they are trying to push their dogs to win a weekend trial or a National?

To the OP .... Whatever brand of food you decide to go with, buy the best you can afford, pick the appropriate food (large breed puppy vs regular puppy) one that your pup enjoys AND a food that is fairly easy to find in the area you live!


I'll agree Purina has gotten better, but that still does not mean they are good dog food. We can focus on Purina and look at their over 60 million food product recalls, with their latest December 2013 Purina Pro Plan that you speak so highly of. Or we can look at a good brand like Fromm that was founded just 10 years after Purina and has never had a recall to date....so yes it is pretty obvious the "top pros" are getting thrown money to push a product, vets are the exact same.



Ok .... Please show me where the recall on Purina ProPlan is. Just googled Purina dog food recall and found a voluntary recall on the FDA website in August for Purina One. As to Fromm ... Also found one for them too. Could not find anything for Purina ProPlan.


My mistake it was Purina One because of the cases of salmonella...for the original poster and anyone with a dog the website breaks down bad ingredients and why...Pro plan: 4 out of their first 7 ingredients are listed as avoid, and of the other three two of those are just grains. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... d_reviews/
CurlyChessie
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

CurlyChessie wrote:http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients..http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/


I finally had a chance to read through the site ...many of the links don't work. It appears to be written by someone who obviously is interested in canine nutrition and has done some coursework in it (her words) but is not a vet nor holds a degree in nutrition. What it apparent on her site is that her real business is selling cooked or raw food nutrition programs for your dog. Do you really think she would be a supporter of commercially available dry food?

To the OP ... As you can see, everyone has an opinion of to what's best, but then what's best for THEIR dog may not work for yours. Buy the best quality food you can afford, pick the appropriate food (large breed puppy vs puppy vs adult depending on the age of your dog), it is readily available in your area and most importantly your pup likes it!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby berudd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm

SteveInOR wrote:Get that pup on some nutro or blue buffalo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My lab loves both and the Nutro High Endurance seems to suite her very well.
berudd
hunter
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby SteveInOR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm

berudd wrote:
SteveInOR wrote:Get that pup on some nutro or blue buffalo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My lab loves both and the Nutro High Endurance seems to suite her very well.

Canidae is another awesome food, we just switched our dogs to it. A 44lb bag is $56 at my local feed store, versus $57 for only 30lbs of blue buffalo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
SteveInOR
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby kburg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

I picked up a bag of pro plan sport 30/20 last night and he loved it. Hasnt ate like that since ive had him. Its amazing the difference it made. Thanks everyone for the advice.
kburg
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Pup not eating right

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:04 pm

kburg wrote:I picked up a bag of pro plan sport 30/20 last night and he loved it. Hasnt ate like that since ive had him. Its amazing the difference it made. Thanks everyone for the advice.


That's great news. Protein might be a bit high for a pup but check with your vet before the next bag. Pro Plan puppy might be better.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18887
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests