Running with a lab?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Running with a lab?

Postby ADF » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:24 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about running with your labs. I run 2-3 times a week for about three miles and once my pup is old enough I would like to take him with me. My only concern is future hip and joint issues. I run in the grass on a golf course so I don’t have those exact problems when I get old. I figure if I could wear him out a couple times a week and keep him in-shape I think we’d both be happier. Thanks for your help.
ADF
hunter

Re: Running with a lab?

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Run with him. Just make sure he is physically mature enough to handle it. Work him up to the distance. My German Shorthair runs 20 miles plus each day we hunt on my all day hunting trips. I wouldn't think that a measly 2-3 miles a few times per week would be anything for a lab. I tired dog is a happy dog.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Since you're running on grass, the biggest possible issue I see with it is whether you're leaving on your runs from home. I never start any walk or run with a dog from our house, as they're trained not to leave our yard, except by vehicle ever. Believe that helps keep that very important rule clear to them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Run that pup hard once it is old enough. Bella loves to go on runs when I bike. I stick to softer areas as mentioned to keep the joint impact down. Doing this makes for a dog that can go all day and not burn out on you on those high retrieve days. I ran her hard for two days this last weekend. She put on a lot more miles than I did and didn't bat an eye due to her conditioning.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 pm

Just be careful in the summer on very hot days. Labs, especially blacks, are quite susceptible to heat stroke.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

How old is the dog? You want to minimize impact on their joints at all times, but particularly in the early years.

Did you get a health guarantee when you bought the pup? If your dog is not yet 24 months old and you start running the pup, you may be voiding the breeders health guarantee with regards to potential hip / elbow issues in the future.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Just be careful in the summer on very hot days. Labs, especially blacks, are quite susceptible to heat stroke.

Good point.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:How old is the dog? You want to minimize impact on their joints at all times, but particularly in the early years.

Did you get a health guarantee when you bought the pup? If your dog is not yet 24 months old and you start running the pup, you may be voiding the breeders health guarantee with regards to potential hip / elbow issues in the future.

Really, if this were the case then no one with such a contract would ever be able to hunt their dog in the uplands until 2 years old, because I can guarantee you that they travel much, much further than a few miles while hunting even for one to two hours. I understand trying to minimize the risk of joint damage by running on softer surfaces. I also understand waiting until the dog is a year or so maybe. But, a few miles on grass a few times per week. A two year old shorthair or versatile would put the hurting on anyone in three measly miles. I think even a lab could run a few miles a few times per week, at an average humans pace mind you. I have to get my running pace down to a 6 minute mile or below before my shorthair even opens up from a trot to a gallop. I have to run even faster for her to stretch out to a run. Most people/American's can't even come close to that pace for long, so I think your fine. Disclaimer: If you are a Kenyan marathoner capable of running sub 5 minute miles for 26.2 miles then please disregard the previous information.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby ADF » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm

I
How old is the dog? You want to minimize impact on their joints at all times, but particularly in the early years.

I haven't even picked him up from the breeder yet haha. You can say I like to plan ahead...but thanks or the advice! I wasn't going to run him at 8 weeks but I didn't know that the early years were so important for joints. He does have health guarantees and I'll check with the breeder on that. Thanks

My German Shorthair runs 20 miles plus each day we hunt on my all day hunting trips.

As a former GSP owner, 20 miles is a warm up for those lunatics! The problem with GSP's is getting them to stop running.

I live in Florida so I only run In the early morning for my own good. Its to dang hot any other time of day. So would 24 months be a good rule of thumb for really starting to run with him?
ADF
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Griffdom wrote:Really, if this were the case then no one with such a contract would ever be able to hunt their dog in the uplands until 2 years old, because I can guarantee you that they travel much, much further than a few miles while hunting even for one to two hours. I understand trying to minimize the risk of joint damage by running on softer surfaces. I also understand waiting until the dog is a year or so maybe. But, a few miles on grass a few times per week. A two year old shorthair or versatile would put the hurting on anyone in three measly miles. I think even a lab could run a few miles a few times per week, at an average humans pace mind you. I have to get my running pace down to a 6 minute mile or below before my shorthair even opens up from a trot to a gallop. I have to run even faster for her to stretch out to a run. Most people/American's can't even come close to that pace for long, so I think your fine. Disclaimer: If you are a Kenyan marathoner capable of running sub 5 minute miles for 26.2 miles then please disregard the previous information.

These can be put into a breeder's health guarantee not to stop the "normal" running that the average hunter /family would put their new family additional through but to STOP that marathoner from taking their new addition on their daily work-out run on pavement at a young age .... And then have the nerve to come back to the breeder to say their pup who is not 24 months old yet has joint issues!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
Griffdom wrote:Really, if this were the case then no one with such a contract would ever be able to hunt their dog in the uplands until 2 years old, because I can guarantee you that they travel much, much further than a few miles while hunting even for one to two hours. I understand trying to minimize the risk of joint damage by running on softer surfaces. I also understand waiting until the dog is a year or so maybe. But, a few miles on grass a few times per week. A two year old shorthair or versatile would put the hurting on anyone in three measly miles. I think even a lab could run a few miles a few times per week, at an average humans pace mind you. I have to get my running pace down to a 6 minute mile or below before my shorthair even opens up from a trot to a gallop. I have to run even faster for her to stretch out to a run. Most people/American's can't even come close to that pace for long, so I think your fine. Disclaimer: If you are a Kenyan marathoner capable of running sub 5 minute miles for 26.2 miles then please disregard the previous information.

These can be put into a breeder's health guarantee not to stop the "normal" running that the average hunter /family would put their new family additional through but to STOP that marathoner from taking their new addition on their daily work-out run on pavement at a young age .... And then have the nerve to come back to the breeder to say their pup who is not 24 months old yet has joint issues!

I can understand this. Makes sense.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Forget about running. Swimming is better exercise with less chance of hip, leg, ankle injuries. You are getting a water dog. Right?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 pm

aunt betty wrote:Forget about running. Swimming is better exercise with less chance of hip, leg, ankle injuries. You are getting a water dog. Right?

It might be kind of cold at times for the guy to swim with the dog.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby ADF » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:41 am

I live on a lake so he'll be swimming whether I want him to or not. Thanks for all your help guys I've learned a lot, that's why I love this forum. I'm going to hold off on running with him until at least 12-24 months and maybe just once a week. I'll ask the vet when the time comes if it's ok to start. I previously owned GSP's and am use to their incredible need to run. This will be my first lab and that's why I asked. Thanks again!
ADF
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 am

Good luck with your upcoming pup.
Griffdom
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum