chessie trainability?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

chessie trainability?

Postby lost » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Still doing research into the breed, and I am very interested. For the Chessie owners or trainers, how similar is the training to any other retriever breed? I use Smartwork with my lab, so is that something that could be continued with a Chessie as well?

I am a stickler for obedience, as I have had many hunts torpedoed from shotty dog performance. I follow the programming meticulously, consistently and allow the pup to progress at its own speed. However, my lack of knowledge of the breed is causing some doubt. After talking with several breeders, it seems like several try to talk you out of a Chessie by telling you that it isn't for everyone, it may not be good with children, not many are titled, they are aggressive, etc. It is unfortunate because the owners that have them think this is garbage. Again, I have never owned one, and I know it is not for everyone, but for what I need the dog for, I think this will be a good fit. What is the general consensus on the training of a Chessie?
lost
hunter

Re: chessie trainability?

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:32 pm

A chessies from good breeding is as trainable as any other dog. One of the favorite dogs I ever had on my truck was a chessies.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby lost » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:45 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:A chessies from good breeding is as trainable as any other dog. One of the favorite dogs I ever had on my truck was a chessies.

What makes so many people have negative opinions of them? I actually had one breeder of all people saying that they will not get along with children, can't be force fetched, can't use an e-collar on them, etc. This lady spent more time talking us out of the breed. I feel like that with proper training and expectations, they will do well.
lost
hunter

Postby lost » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:46 pm

And again, I'm uneducated on the breed and learning all that I can. I'm visiting some kennels in the next few weeks, so I can see good chessies in action. I have only trained labs, so I am not familiar with them.
lost
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:47 pm

lost wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:A chessies from good breeding is as trainable as any other dog. One of the favorite dogs I ever had on my truck was a chessies.

What makes so many people have negative opinions of them? I actually had one breeder of all people saying that they will not get along with children, can't be force fetched, can't use an e-collar on them, etc. This lady spent more time talking us out of the breed. I feel like that with proper training and expectations, they will do well.

Mis-information. All of the peake's I trained were forced and collar broken like any other dog. There are breeders out there that do not want their dog's used for hunting or trials. Don't buy from them. Go with a breeder with great hunting or trial lines.

The biggest difference I saw in the breeds was that a chessie needed far more individualized attention than a lab or golden. They did not do as well on a dog truck as the other breeds, so I had to show them a lot more personal attention. Nothin' wrong with that when they're you're own dog.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby CurlyChessie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Chessies can be a handful, take it from my experience. That being said, you will not find a more loyal water crashing duck chasing animal on the planet. Now as far as their training goes, I believe you said you have trained some labs before, excellent your going to need every-bit of that training knowledge and then some to break a hard headed chessie :hammer: ; some of course worse than others. I can go on and on so let me know more specifically what you are looking for or wanting to know, and I would love to help. Videos of specific tasks or manners I can easily do since I work with mine at least once if not twice a day, for discipline and exercise because wow do they have stamina!!! - Mason
CurlyChessie
hunter

Postby click » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:49 am

First off i am on my first and only retriever, A CBR so take my advice with a grain of salt. My guy is progressing very nice using the smartworks program, considering his is my first. We train 5 days a week and at least once a week with a training group.We didn't get him until he was 7 months old and had no manners, so we are behind the curve. The whole thing with CBR's being bad around kids and hard headed is all dependant on the breeding and more importantly socializing them. My boy is just fine around kids, and anything but hard headed. They seem to take some what smaller steps in training than the labs i have seen. Not to say they are slow learners but they will definently learn at their own pace. I will say that my dog is very tough when it comes to being able to handle cold alaskan water, and grueling temps. As long as your willing to slow down in your program with them spend the time on them you should have no problems at all. If your willing to put the time and effort in a CBR the rewards are 10 fold.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:33 am

Did you hit the search button on the top of the forum and type in "chessie training" "chesapeake training" "chesapeake breed"? There is probably over 15 threads on the exact topic last year alone. There is some good information in those threads that people probably won't repost because the topic is very common.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby gock5 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:40 am

My chessie is great around big kids, small kids, crawling kids. The only thing to worry about chessie's and kids is the potential for knocking down "new walkers" while playing (and being "licked" too much). As the other poster stated, socialization is one of the most important things to begin immediately.
gock5
hunter

Postby KJV » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:20 am

lost wrote:

Had the same experience. Didn't happen to be a breeder in NJ? Went elsewhere, should have my pup on valentines day.
KJV
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:26 am

Chessies aren't worth a chidt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390062115.634251.jpg

You'll never get one to hunt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390062175.532975.jpg

They are untrainable.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390062267.099226.jpg

I'd shy away from them if you believe any of what I said.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390062352.866618.jpg

That's us now, going fishing.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby lost » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Duck_Popper wrote:Did you hit the search button on the top of the forum and type in "chessie training" "chesapeake training" "chesapeake breed"? There is probably over 15 threads on the exact topic last year alone. There is some good information in those threads that people probably won't repost because the topic is very common.

I'm bad about doing it on this forum, but I will read my thread, and do a search, but it only searches my thread. After a couple of years, I just figured out that if I go to the general dog forum and search, I will get more than ten results. :eek: :eek:

Technology! :fingerhead:
lost
hunter

Postby lost » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 am

Also, I'm guessing there's plenty of threads on breeder recommendations? I am looking right now, but I need some help. I have only found a couple that had some titles in the bloodlines. I will probably have to have it shipped to OK, but I really don't care where it comes from. Just want the right pup.

Any suggestions?

Also, on taking the training a little slower, you are about the third person that has said that to me, but I have also heard that it also depends on the Chessie.
lost
hunter

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:06 pm

7 or 8 months old here, learning to jump. He grew up going to work with me everyday watering greens, mowing fairways, and swimming every chance he got.
IMG_0112.PNG
IMG_0111.PNG
IMG_0111.PNG (338.08 KiB) Viewed 475 times
CurlyChessie
hunter

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Today...I think he has a little bit of self control and discipline...
Attachments
image.jpg
CurlyChessie
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 am

From a practical standpoint, there is no "Chessies". (Or "Labs" or whatever.) Stereotypes are wasted wind, as everything of real importance is going to depend a lot more on your pup's individual genetics and upbringing than its breed.

That said, Mitch Patterson, who's probably had a hand in as many Chesapeake field trial champions as anyone, as well as several FC Labs, has opined that most of those Chessies progressed better through a regimen weighted more heavily toward building on success than through correction than was the case with most of the Labs.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:40 pm

CurlyChessie wrote:Today...I think he has a little bit of self control and discipline...

what happened to him in the pic?
solway gunner
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 pm

solway gunner wrote:
CurlyChessie wrote:Today...I think he has a little bit of self control and discipline...

'Looks like he has five Wheat-Thins (snack-crackers) lined-up on his snout...
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby CurlyChessie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:
solway gunner wrote:

'Looks like he has five Wheat-Thins (snack-crackers) lined-up on his snout...
--Tim

They are home made treats!
- Mason
CurlyChessie
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 pm

:lol3:
I liked your first posting-the bond youl have with him will be very strong because of how you brought him up from a pup,some elements in his training will be made far simpler as a result of it-great stuff :thumbsup:
solway gunner
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum