Boykin Puppy Questions??

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Boykin Puppy Questions??

Postby JShanks25 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 pm

I've got two questions for the board. I've been feeding my puppy Blue Buffalo puppy food, and he has the worst farts and also soft stools. What kind of food do you all suggest switching to? Also, I've been unemployed for a few months and have been working a little with my Boykin. He is 5 months now, and I would still like to have him properly trained to hunt with me in a dove field. Is 5 months to old for him to start working with a trainer? Appreciate any advice given.
JShanks25
Newb

Re: Boykin Puppy Questions??

Postby dogyak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

My advise is too have fun with your pup and work on basic OB . If you are going too send your pup to a trainer , that would be after he has it's adult teeth . That would be around 6 mos , which isn't too far off from now . The pro would most likely FF your dog than start into it's formal gundog training program from there .
dogyak
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:58 am

Let me know if you ever find something that makes dog fart NOT reek! ;) My dog has some soft stool. I mentioned it while at the Vet for something else and they gave me a probiotic powder to put on her food and that firmed everything up nicely.
berudd
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 am

How big is the puppy? How much are you feeding? Soft stools can be from overfeeding.

It would also be a good idea to find out what the pro trainer feeds at the kennel. Make the switch now, one less stress on your dog when you send him to school.
TCFarmer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum