PUP or started dog?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

PUP or started dog?

Postby MountainDucks72009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 am

I am looking for a dog, but just got out of college and trying to make a little money to get one. Any thoughts on if I would be better off buying a pup and paying for it to be trained or buying a started dog. My $$$ is fairly limited right now.
MountainDucks72009
hunter

Re: PUP or started dog?

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 am

either way if your money is super tight and you dont know if you can afford one... You probably shouldnt get one! Especially if you are starting from ground zero!!! They are expensive

The choice between pup or started dog is one you have to decide on! PUp are ALOT of work!!! You got that kind of time Right now i have one.. I'm up at 12:00 2:30 and 6:00 AM to let pup out and play some... Mrs is home during the day to let pup out several times as well, and I go home on lunch to let pup out.. And it will be like this for probably a month or two and that before any training starts!

Started dogs are ready to go BUT you have to keep their training up... In the end the $$ is about the same actually just depends on you! I would never buy a started dog i like training from ground zero So people perfer started.. Pro's of started dog you pretty much know what the dog will physically look like, their size, and their ability Pups are a gamble
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Leonardo1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

Puppies are a gamble for sure. If nothing else you could look for an older pup but one that is not necessarily a "started dog." That way you have a pretty good idea exactly what you are buying. I did my research on my last dog and still ended up with a semi dud. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a dog.

With that in mind I can't imagine buying a true 10 week old pup again. Too many unknowns and they take a lot of work when they are small. I just picked up my new dog at 4 1/2 months old and we will proceed from there. Still small enough to enjoy but I manage to miss out on some of the "not so fun" parts of raising a puppy.

In the end it is personal preference.
Leonardo1
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm

There is no way I would miss out on the all the headaches and deep bonding that comes from having a pup from 8 weeks on. The puppy smell, the joy of watching them grow, the deep bond that forms between you. Handled properly you create an incredibly close bond with the dog. Bella was a FF wash out and came from hunting stock. Through a mix of methods and training her myself she is turning into a hunting powerhouse. It took a bit longer than expected, after two years she is absolutely on fire in the field. It was worth every second of lost sleep, frustration, and at times futile searching for techniques to get her on track. In the end I am going to get another 8 or 9 years of hunting over her and the pleasure of knowing we did it together.

Spend your money on a pup. Before you buy the pup do your reasearch and buy an entire training series of videos and books. They are not that expensive. Read and watch them. In less than a year you can have your own started dog that is deeply bonded to you as it's pack leader and owner. As mentioned, pups are bloody expensive. Vet bills, innoculations, unexpected vet visits for bowel obstructions, etc......
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MountainDucks72009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Thank ya'll. I'm leaning toward getting a pup. I have the time but just curious on a couple other opinions.

Thanks
MountainDucks72009
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Sent you a PM
labman63
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum