German shorthair

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: German shorthair

Postby Tanner01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:40 am

My dog's parents are also both show champions in AKC. It's like you read on the forum all the time- find the best breeding you can, even if you have to wait and or save for it. You can find a retrieving crazy nut if you are careful during your search. Then you have a great start on a water loving duck dog. I have seen some great field dogs that hate to retrieve. Know what you want before you start looking. I have a LAB a GSP and a WPG. The best retriever is my GSP. It's because she has more desire and drive,not training. Hope when you get one you get a good one.
Tanner01
hunter

Re: German shorthair

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Agreed with tanner. My GSP has more natural retrieve than the labs my buddies often bring, but that is not always the case. Find a good breeding with parent that retrieve and love water and you'll have a great shot at making a good duck dog.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum