First working lab.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

First working lab.

Postby Coot cluck clan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:36 am

So I'm getting a Labrador retriever in a couple months or so and I'm wanting to train it for waterfowl. I've purchased several books and DVDs. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips. This will be my first lab to train for hunting. I've had two labs but just for family pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coot cluck clan
Newb

Re: First working lab.

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:00 am

Obediance!
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Get a poodle.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby KS_hunting » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I was going to wait a while to start putting this out there, but now seems like it could be the right time. I have a project you might be interested in following... and I hope I don't get in trouble for promoting a business in here, but this might be very beneficial.

I run a small kennel and we have just purchased a new female pup a month ago. The intent of doing so was to add a final breeding female to our group, but more importantly to show the training progression for at least an entire year of 1 dog. That is - how to take an 8 week old pup and turn them into a dog ready to hunt. If your interested, I'll PM you the link as I think posting a unsponsored business is a bit of a no-no. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'll put it up in a new thread.)

Our blog could help give a real jump start to your training when get your pup. Hope that helps!
KS_hunting
hunter

Postby Coot cluck clan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

KS_hunting wrote:I was going to wait a while to start putting this out there, but now seems like it could be the right time. I have a project you might be interested in following... and I hope I don't get in trouble for promoting a business in here, but this might be very beneficial.

I run a small kennel and we have just purchased a new female pup a month ago. The intent of doing so was to add a final breeding female to our group, but more importantly to show the training progression for at least an entire year of 1 dog. That is - how to take an 8 week old pup and turn them into a dog ready to hunt. If your interested, I'll PM you the link as I think posting a unsponsored business is a bit of a no-no. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'll put it up in a new thread.)

Our blog could help give a real jump start to your training when get your pup. Hope that helps!

I'm a little confused on what your saying. I understand that you have a young female pup and going to train her, but I guess my question is what exactly are you wanting lol

Coot cluck clan
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Coot cluck clan wrote:So I'm getting a Labrador retriever in a couple months or so and I'm wanting to train it for waterfowl. I've purchased several books and DVDs. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips. This will be my first lab to train for hunting. I've had two labs but just for family pets.

My suggestion would be read your books and watch the DVD's and then ask some specific questions.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am

KS_hunting wrote:I was going to wait a while to start putting this out there, but now seems like it could be the right time. I have a project you might be interested in following... and I hope I don't get in trouble for promoting a business in here, but this might be very beneficial.

Freddy King did this. To the OP. type in "Feddy King" retriever training. I watched these before I even had my pup and I am going to start watching them again. Freddy king shows you the steps with a dog with zero training. All the way through. Also I have fowl dogs and duck dog basics.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 am

Can't see "Freddy King" without thinking of this one:

Love that pup all you can while you can.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum