Pup has overbite

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Pup has overbite

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 am

We took a litter of pups to the vet and he was telling us one wouldnot be able to grip a duck as well because of an overbite. I know nothing about this kind of stuff. Would it not be a good idea to sell this one as a hunting dog?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Re: Pup has overbite

Postby sharris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 pm

The bite might change a bit as the pup grows. My golden developed an underbite that wasn't there when she was picked up as a pup. I think I am the only person that notices. I wouldn't breed a dog that had bad teeth since there are so many good dogs that have good bite. My dog picks up birds fine. How bad is the overbite?
sharris
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I would think that would have to be pretty severe for the dog not to be able to hold a bird. Their noses are elongated and they have those lovely long canines in the front for gripping and holding things for a reason. Biology set them up to be able to grap / catch small prey in their mouths and hold large prey. A slight overbight shouldn't impact a dogs ability to hold a duck or goose. The canines are still going to give it grip, and an offset may actually enhance that. They only way I see it making a difference is for very small prey such as doves or quail that fit all the way in the dogs mouth. They could get beat up a bit with offset teeth if you don't have a soft mouthed dog.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Canine orthodontist.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Takem_Brewer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Puppies bites change a lot within the first 6 months of their lived. Just want to be clear that you mean an overbite and not an underbite? Overbites are less common. How far are the top teeth away from the bottom jaw if clenched?

I wouldn't have the problem selling the pup as a hunting dog as long as I let the owner know ahead of time and the bite isn't too bad.
Hiland Chesapeakes
www.hilandpeakes.com
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby CBRS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

I got a young female cheesie that has a minor underbite, she's retrieved about 75 ducks this year so I don't understand why the vet would say that.
CBRS
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:52 am

Does your vet know anything about hunting? And I don't ask that trying to sound like an azz. I like my Vet a lot and they take great care of my dog but they have no experience with hunting. So, I listen to what they have to say but understand I might be a bit on my own when it comes to things related to hunting. Unless the dog is severely malformed I doubt it will be a problem.
berudd
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 am

berudd wrote:Does your vet know anything about hunting? And I don't ask that trying to sound like an azz. I like my Vet a lot and they take great care of my dog but they have no experience with hunting. So, I listen to what they have to say but understand I might be a bit on my own when it comes to things related to hunting. Unless the dog is severely malformed I doubt it will be a problem.

He's a great and intelligent vet but does not know a lot about hunting. It kind of threw us off when he was telling us this which is why I came on here hoping to get some information from those of you who have had experience. I did verify that it was an overbite. The pups are about 8 weeks old and it's just a minor overbite. Is this something that could be outgrown? I'm guessing it's like a 1/16 inch overbite from where the top and bottom teeth are.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 am

Get out your ruler and look at 1/16th of an inch. That is to small to even begin to worry about. If it bothers you mention it to the new owners when they prospect the pup. I wouldn't even bother mentioning it. If you want to see if you can tell a difference, take two pups and raise the jowl and look at their bites. I will be very surprised if you can see any difference.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Takem_Brewer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Yes, the jaw can correct itself but it also can become worse or stay the same. Dog's jaws usually take about 10 months to set. One thing to keep in mind is that all overbites are genetic whereas underbites are not always genetic. If it does not correct itself, I probably wouldn't repeat that litter.
Hiland Chesapeakes
www.hilandpeakes.com
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby JacksDad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Call him, Bucky
JacksDad
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum