dog is not right!! help??

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

dog is not right!! help??

Postby frydaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm

she is a 3yr old lab. she didn't stay in the water for a long time today but the temp was probably 30 most of the afternoon. she made a few short retrieves like any other day. the ride home inside my jeep was about an hour. but after she ate like normal she just has a distantant look in eye. and she is rocking her head. kinda like when she gets hot and is pantanting, but she is not panting. and it isn't a shiver either. she is laying down now in the house I put a blanket on her which normaly only last a few minutes before she get up. she typicaly doesn't like things over her. im wondering if it is maybe hypothermia but does anybody have any ideas what it may be?
frydaddy
hunter

Re: dog is not right!! help??

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Go buy a thermometer and put it in her butt...not worth guessing, check it and rule it out.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Internet diagnosis is unreliable. Call your veterinarian.
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm

her temp is good. I just thought maybe someone had seen these symptoms(the rocking) before.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Yeah if her temp is good, I'd be headed to the doc man. Keep us updated.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:40 pm

She is obviously a sick dog. TAKE HER TO A VET
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Beaver fever
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:23 am

WOW! Why would you waste what might be precious time on a website when you should be heading to see your Vet with her? You really need to get more responsible with your dog. JMHO. Once they are gone, ye can't bring them back Mate. Get pro-active for the sake of your K9 companion. :thumbsup:

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 am

I hope your dog is ok. I'm sorry if you felt I was rude, but, if you read the following thread on the RTF, it might give you insight to where I was coming from. (No, it's not my dog in the thread, but I've seen dogs go quick.)

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... -dead-quot
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm

first off I asked my question at 10pm when my vet is not open. I asked retriever people because I thought it was worth a quick shot to see if someone had had the same experience not because I don't care about my dog. I didn't take offense to all ur suggestions to go to the vet except yours irirsh mate as for yours I just considered the probable source and let it go.

I did go to an emergency vet instead of waiting until next morning for my vet to open. the awesome and the bad news is they didn't know what it was exactly either but the put her on an IV flushed her system over night and next morning she was fine. I took her to my vet for full blood work and they couldn't confirm anything either. just possible dehydration or she ate something at the lake I didn't see and it gave her an allergic reaction.

mostly she is her bouncy crazy self again. thanks
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Glad to hear that she is well on the way to being her "bouncy crazy self" again!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Good to hear.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Good to hear she's doing better! :beer:

You may have already asked your vet this, but if not, some vets will take after-hours calls if you have a good relationship with them, even if they don't publicize it. Might be cheaper than the emergency vet. :thumbsup:
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:14 pm

frydaddy wrote:first off I asked my question at 10pm when my vet is not open. I asked retriever people because I thought it was worth a quick shot to see if someone had had the same experience not because I don't care about my dog. I didn't take offense to all ur suggestions to go to the vet except yours irirsh mate as for yours I just considered the probable source and let it go.

I did go to an emergency vet instead of waiting until next morning for my vet to open. the awesome and the bad news is they didn't know what it was exactly either but the put her on an IV flushed her system over night and next morning she was fine. I took her to my vet for full blood work and they couldn't confirm anything either. just possible dehydration or she ate something at the lake I didn't see and it gave her an allergic reaction.

mostly she is her bouncy crazy self again. thanks

Aye Mate,

First off, me apologies for perhaps a wee bit o' over reaction, no disparagement really intended. i have owned, trained, and lived with Labrador gundogs for well over three decades. As I read ye post, it sounded not to be related to hypothermia and the symptoms being exhibited as per your description did not sound encouraging for ye dog. I will admit readily that having lost a really amazing Labrador gundog at the way early age of 7.5 years back in September was crushing and still has me on edge. My intent was for the good and welfare of ye dog, not to come down on ye unwarranted. T'was not completely clear to me in ye OP, but having read ye follow up post, I know ye did what was right and given ye options at hand. I know for meself, I have specifically opted to use the services of a veterinary facility that is open 24/7/365 as we all know dogs don't get into medical trouble only from 9 to 5.

As well, my post was in hopes that most realize that sometimes waiting in hope that things will improve can be very detrimental and a death sentence for a dog tha may have survived with quickly administered veterinary attention.

I look not to cause disharmony on the board and with individual members and I hope ye accept me most sincere apology for any misdirected finger pointing.

Good on ye for doing right by ye dog. As I said, once they are gone, ye can't bring them back and so many of us know all to well how awful that can be.

Cheers to ye Mate :beer: ,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 am

Not an internet diagnosis because I agree they are not at all reliable but is there any chance she was just tired? Was her activity level substantially different than it normally is? Just like us, if your dog goes out and pushes to hard they get sore muscles and need to reset and recuperate.
berudd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 am

Glad your dog is OK.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby frydaddy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:31 am

it is all good irishmate apology accepted. the vet tech said she was extremly tired so maybe the cold weather just zapped her energy way too low. i guess bed rest and plenty of fluids did the trick. duck season is over so she will get plenty of rest now before we do any training. honestly my old butt needs some rest myself!!!

thanks again to everyone.
frydaddy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum