Lab Mixes?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Lab Mixes?

Postby HLO_Wes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and am just wondering what experiences you've had with Lab mixes. I have a Black lab right now and he is a great hunting dog, but he is getting older and I will be looking for another pup in a while.

I've seen a few Lab/Brittany Spaniel mixes for sale. Just looking for someone to share their experiences with a Lab mix, or any other suggested mixes that have been good hunting dogs. I hunt in Minnesota so they have to be able to handle the freezing cold late season also.

I appreciate any advice!
Thanks
HLO_Wes
hunter

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:06 pm

A cur is a cur, is a cur.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Considering you already own a lab ... Why oh why would you look to a lab mix??? If you are looking for a lab that "might" be better at upland (due to your interest in a lab /Brittany mix) Why not look into a lab from a pointing lab kennel? At least going in that direction you should be able to get a pup where the sire and dam have the appropriate health clearances.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:25 pm

What the other posters have said is true. Mixes are a crap shoot since they are rarely being bred with specific health and ability traits in mind. That being said, if you are willing to take the risk that all you are going to have is a fuzzy buddy who will love you unconditionally go a head and get a mix.
I am not saying a mut won't hunt many do just fine and make their owners very happy but many more are either just companions or worse yet end up being abandoned.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Run Forest run!

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby HLO_Wes » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm just looking for something a little bit different than a lab, I don't need a lab with champion bloodline or anything. Some say mixes can be smarter, healthier, and live longer. I'm just wanting to hear other people's experiences with a lab mix, my mind isn't set on anything just looking at the option. You guys made a good point about the conditions that they are bred in.
HLO_Wes
hunter

Postby cjad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:39 pm

I have a lab chessie mix came from a mistake from two great bloodlines she has been awsome.
cjad
hunter

Postby duckstruck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:59 pm

cjad wrote:I have a lab chessie mix came from a mistake from two great bloodlines she has been awsome.

I had the same situation when I was in my early teens. Dad got it from a friend who ran field trials. The BLF was in heat in her kennel minding her own business when a chessie thought he would help her out and jumped and climbed into the kennel.

Dog was a good retriever and worked out fine for us as a hunting dog.

Would I advise everyone to go this route- No I would not.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:44 am

another problem with lab mixes out of shelters or backyards is everyone who has a litter that doesnt know what the daddy is calls the litter a Lab mix.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 am

HLO_Wes wrote:I'm just looking for something a little bit different than a lab, I don't need a lab with champion bloodline or anything. Some say mixes can be smarter, healthier, and live longer. I'm just wanting to hear other people's experiences with a lab mix, my mind isn't set on anything just looking at the option. You guys made a good point about the conditions that they are bred in.

This is the worst gundog forum on the entire internet about crap like this.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 am

Last year I had to put down my Lab/Pointer mix as he went into kidney failure at 6 years old. Both lab and pointer were great dogs in their own rights but the two did not produce great offspring. Just my two cents.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:10 am

HLO_Wes wrote:I'm just looking for something a little bit different than a lab, I don't need a lab with champion bloodline or anything. Some say mixes can be smarter, healthier, and live longer. I'm just wanting to hear other people's experiences with a lab mix, my mind isn't set on anything just looking at the option. You guys made a good point about the conditions that they are bred in.

You simply looking to save a nickel on the deal, or what?
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby bakerloo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 am

Mutts are a big time crapshoot. If it's about saving some money up front, that's pure crazy. Save beer cans and water bottles until you can scrape up at least $750 then get a pup with a decent pedigree. It's all about increasing your odds. You have a better chance at having a good dog for the next 12 years if you do it right. Nothing is a sure bet, unless you pay for a started dog, but a good pedigree increases your odds of winning.
bakerloo
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 am

There's plenty of good pure bred dogs with solid working lines that are healthy. And there are good hunting dogs that aren't a lab. I.E. Chessies, Goldens, Boykins, Water Spaniels. It all depends on what you want out of the dog. A mix = mixed results. Don't know what the aversion is to owning a solid lab though.
uglymug
hunter

Postby verg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 am

just remember, when it comes to mutts you can get the best of both breeds or you may get the worst traits of both breeds. Do what you want but be aware of all facts.
verg
hunter

Postby HLO_Wes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 am

I'm not looking to save money. I was just looking for other peoples experiences and opinions of mixes. Saying all mixes are crap isn't true, there are breeders that breed hybrid labs, like German shorthair lab mixes. I'm not interested in hearing you guys bash on "muts". Yes if I'd go get a mut from a pound I know it wouldn't be any good, I'm talking about dogs that are actually cross bred on purpose or are from 2 good bloodlines. Thanks for the opinions so far guys.
HLO_Wes
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 am

verg wrote:just remember, when it comes to mutts you can get the best of both breeds or you may get the worst traits of both breeds. Do what you want but be aware of all facts.

Well put. Good food for thought for the OP and anyone interested in getting all the labra-mutts and stuff you see come up on the forum all the time
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:18 am

HLO_Wes wrote:I'm not looking to save money. I was just looking for other peoples experiences and opinions of mixes. Saying all mixes are crap isn't true, there are breeders that breed hybrid labs, like German shorthair lab mixes. I'm not interested in hearing you guys bash on "muts". Yes if I'd go get a mut from a pound I know it wouldn't be any good, I'm talking about dogs that are actually cross bred on purpose or are from 2 good bloodlines. Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

I think mutts are great dogs. We've owned mutts as family pets for my entire life. The best dog I ever owned was a mutt. I just don't think it's worth the risk to buy a mutt hoping to use it for hunting. To be honest I've never come across a situation where two reputable breeders bred two different breeds with solid pedigrees and working lines. I don't think it happens very often. The point is, getting a dog is always a crapshoot as far as drive and hunting ability is concerned. Solid hunting lines minimize that risk. Most guys choose to go purebred/working lines because they want to know what they're likely getting. You don't get the same assuredness with a mix. It may be a hunting machine or it may be a couch potato. I don't judge either way and I won't bash you for going with a mix (unlike some on here), but I think mixing breeds is a bit risky.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 pm

uglymug wrote:To be honest I've never come across a situation where two reputable breeders bred two different breeds with solid pedigrees and working lines. I don't think it happens very often.

Key word .... REPUTABLE
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:17 pm

HLO_Wes wrote:I'm not looking to save money. I was just looking for other peoples experiences and opinions of mixes. Saying all mixes are crap isn't true, there are breeders that breed hybrid labs, like German shorthair lab mixes. I'm not interested in hearing you guys bash on "muts". Yes if I'd go get a mut from a pound I know it wouldn't be any good, I'm talking about dogs that are actually cross bred on purpose or are from 2 good bloodlines. Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

Like has been said - REPUTABLE Breeders with a history of success don't mix breeds. It's not a 'pure' snobbery thing it's common sense. Hybrid is BS and sold to the uninformed that buy the BS easily.

What does a flushing lab and pointer have in common? Which traits will the pup inherit? What will the temperment and ability to handle prolonged redundant training be?

There are breeds bred well for a REASON!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby wraithen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Sounds kind of like the OP is impatient and wants to justify this backyard breeding. If he really wants to shoot those dice let him. The pups cant be unborn and if the dog doesnt work out it most likely wont be messing anyones hunt up many times.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby HLO_Wes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:47 pm

wraithen wrote:Sounds kind of like the OP is impatient and wants to justify this backyard breeding. If he really wants to shoot those dice let him. The pups cant be unborn and if the dog doesnt work out it most likely wont be messing anyones hunt up many times.

I'm not impatient or trying to justify it at all. I simply wanted to know if anyone has had a Lab mix of some type and what their experiences were. I asked this question because I wanted to learn more about them. I love my purebred Lab and he is a great hunting dog. Everyone is acting like I hate purebreds. I don't, I just wanted to learn more about these "hybrids" or mixes.
I understand that mixes are a huge risk now, and I probably wouldn't want to take that risk. If I wouldn't have asked I wouldn't know.
Thanks for the input guys.
HLO_Wes
hunter

Postby Sammyshonker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Postby wraithen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

HLO_Wes wrote:
wraithen wrote:Sounds kind of like the OP is impatient and wants to justify this backyard breeding. If he really wants to shoot those dice let him. The pups cant be unborn and if the dog doesnt work out it most likely wont be messing anyones hunt up many times.

I'm not impatient or trying to justify it at all. I simply wanted to know if anyone has had a Lab mix of some type and what their experiences were. I asked this question because I wanted to learn more about them. I love my purebred Lab and he is a great hunting dog. Everyone is acting like I hate purebreds. I don't, I just wanted to learn more about these "hybrids" or mixes.
I understand that mixes are a huge risk now, and I probably wouldn't want to take that risk. If I wouldn't have asked I wouldn't know.
Thanks for the input guys.

I wasnt trying to be mean. I didnt realize how many people use this site that dont already know what happens with relatively new crosses. it is true that dogs were bred for a certain purpose and you can still see the genetics being changed based on how we use the animals. Could be that in 40 years some designer breeds will be amazing dogs but I doubt it since the motivation is generally more for looks than health or anything else. Hybrids as you are using the term are most likely going to take on the dominant genes. That being said there is a great likelihood for submissive genes lining up that may give you headaches. Do some research on basic biology in regards to how genes work and you will better understand why many people get pretty up in arms about backyard breeders and accidental breedings. Like I said earlier, these dogs can not be unborn so taking the gamble may work for you, but if not theres really no reason for anyone to be too irritated unless the public buys into some hype and this mix becomes a new designer mutt.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Sammyshonker wrote:I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:

You sir are the drama queen. Some pose good, honest questions/push back. YOU pose complete bitchery, BS.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum