Lab Mixes?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Sammyshonker wrote:I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:

You sir are the drama queen. Some pose good, honest questions/push back. YOU pose complete bitchery, BS.

Hntfsh, is there ANY chance, even a slim one, that your $hitty attitude brings a lot of this on?

Would you say your guidance and warm personality are factors in making the dog forum the huge success it is today?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 am

TomKat wrote:....Hntfsh, is there ANY chance, even a slim one, that your $hitty attitude brings a lot of this on?

Would you say your guidance and warm personality are factors in making the dog forum the huge success it is today?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Maybe his "attitude" came from multiple attempts to do what can't be done.
Fix stupid.

And BTW, aren't you violating the terms of your parole?
copterdoc
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 am

Stick with purebred for health clearances and bloodlines. Call previous pup buyers from that kennel before buying a pup. Mut breeding is becoming a bigger and bigger problem, its not a good thing to support it. Im all for getting a mutt from the pound for a house dog though. Just refuse to support the breeders of the problem. Ive never seen a litter that was 2 different purebred with health clearances and pedigrees. Reputable breeders do not do this.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Sammyshonker wrote:I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:

Exactly...not the first time this question has been asked, and the result is the same, so why continue to ask the damn question. This isn't a touchy feely ASPCA forum...the OP can do everyone a favor and use the search feature, so the pot doesn't need to be stirred every other day..."do poodles make good...", "silver lab blah blah blah", "thinking about a labradoodel..", "what are your guys thoughts on lab mixes", "what food"....I get it, some people are new to the forum, but for cryin out loud, use the damn SEARCH FEATURE...or do I need to start a thread to tell people about the SEARCH feature??
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:37 pm

TomKat wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

You sir are the drama queen. Some pose good, honest questions/push back. YOU pose complete bitchery, BS.

Hntfsh, is there ANY chance, even a slim one, that your $hitty attitude brings a lot of this on?

Tomkat - leave it alone. You're following me around to poke at me is a childish gesture on your part. Grow up. If you have a viewpoint or help or insight to provide feel free but quit being a complete moron for God's sake.

I speak frank, no bullshit, what I believe to be true. You cannot handle that as you are a nymph and insecure when it comes to hunting dogs. I can't help that - not my fault.

Leave me alone. Your stalking will get you in trouble.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Pot meet kettle...Nice holier than thou attitude you take.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 pm

I've got a Lab/beagle mix rescue we got her at about 3 months. Wicked nose on her, webbed feet, thick coat. Biggest princess I have ever seen. Won't go for ducks more than 15 feet from the boat, if at all... and would rather spend the day in the truck than anywhere else.. and she sorta looks at me like she hates me whenever I pick up my gun.

She's a doll otherwise... but good for nothing other than posing for photo ops and cleaning the floor around the kid.

Go pure bred... I had one years back that was unstoppable. Wish I could find another like him.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Pot meet kettle...Nice holier than thou attitude you take.

And you're the sloppy girlfriend.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby frydaddy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:24 pm

lets see op question is asked, nxt a few opinions are posted, then comes a few backhanded comments, now we are on page two and the full blow chit storm has started again, wich comes from left field and has nothing to do with OP.

and now we see that there is no original post just search for help and avoid pages 2 thru the end. how long is it till hunting season starts again????
frydaddy
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I have what looks like a lab/pit( I call him Pitador) I'm training for a guy. He asked if I could train it to hunt ducks so I said I'll give it a shot. He is about a yr old and is in walking fetch now and picking up 150 yrd marks and delivering to hand. We will start FTP later this week I guess. This dog will surely hunt next yr. Not my cup of tea but it's what the customer wanted.
labman63
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Like has been said - REPUTABLE Breeders with a history of success don't mix breeds. It's not a 'pure' snobbery thing it's common sense. Hybrid is BS and sold to the uninformed that buy the BS easily.

What does a flushing lab and pointer have in common? Which traits will the pup inherit? What will the temperment and ability to handle prolonged redundant training be?

There are breeds bred well for a REASON!

No offense but that there is a lot of BS thinking...

All dogs that are "pure bred" were at some point or another crossed to take the best traits of two or more types of dog. You think God just plopped a Lab out and said go help out that duck hunter?? All the working dogs we use today were all bred to be the way they are from multiple mutts and then refined into what they are today. Look it up. Labs only became recognized as pedigree in the early 1900's.

Personally as I've mentioned earlier, from my experience, and It seems that is what the OP is looking for, my mutt is useless... but she wasn't bred on purpose, she's a total random. My pure bred lab was a champ.

There are many breeders who are crossing breeds looking for the next "perfect" mutt. If the OP should happen on one he'd be damn lucky in my honest opinion.

I just think it's sad when people refuse to read the question at hand and respond honestly without floundering into bottomless judgement.

:beer:
Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Like has been said - REPUTABLE Breeders with a history of success don't mix breeds. It's not a 'pure' snobbery thing it's common sense. Hybrid is BS and sold to the uninformed that buy the BS easily.

What does a flushing lab and pointer have in common? Which traits will the pup inherit? What will the temperment and ability to handle prolonged redundant training be?

There are breeds bred well for a REASON!

No offense but that there is a lot of BS thinking...

All dogs that are "pure bred" were at some point or another crossed to take the best traits of two or more types of dog. You think God just plopped a Lab out and said go help out that duck hunter?? All the working dogs we use today were all bred to be the way they are from multiple mutts and then refined into what they are today. Look it up. Labs only became recognized as pedigree in the early 1900's.

Personally as I've mentioned earlier, from my experience, and It seems that is what the OP is looking for, my mutt is useless... but she wasn't bred on purpose, she's a total random. My pure bred lab was a champ.

There are many breeders who are crossing breeds looking for the next "perfect" mutt. If the OP should happen on one he'd be damn lucky in my honest opinion.

I just think it's sad when people refuse to read the question at hand and respond honestly without floundering into bottomless judgement.

:beer:
Mugz.

Mugz - your entitled to your opinion regardless of how ill-informed. I suggest you speak with the top breeders of this country (any breed) and get educated. Breeds take very smart and dedicated folks. Joe next door breeding mixed breeds ain't that guy.

Your dog was a 'champ'. Right - everyone thinks their dog is wonderful. It's when you insert objectivity that you can learn something.

I posted facts. You posted emotion.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Read a book pal. Educate yourself. You have not posted a single fact here.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm

labman63 wrote:I have what looks like a lab/pit( I call him Pitador) I'm training for a guy. He asked if I could train it to hunt ducks so I said I'll give it a shot. He is about a yr old and is in walking fetch now and picking up 150 yrd marks and delivering to hand. We will start FTP later this week I guess. This dog will surely hunt next yr. Not my cup of tea but it's what the customer wanted.

How long did it take to get the dog through the amount of training you did, compared to, on average, how long it takes for a well bred dog to get through same training? Not trying to backdoor any snide remarks here, I just am curious if you feel there was a different learning curve or different techniques had to be implemented. I know all dogs are different and maturity levels progress differently; just wondering.
cn44
hunter

Postby Collin_CS203 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Seems like every thread I read it seems like HNTFSH is telling someone he is an idiot or to get educated. Hahahaha and then his girlfriend cop jumps in. I used to come to this forum for advice on my new pup but here recently I come here to read all the drama. To funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collin_CS203
hunter

Postby WarbirdWaterfowl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Would you rather have a full blooded pres. or a mix breed!!
WarbirdWaterfowl
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Collin_CS203 wrote:Seems like every thread I read it seems like HNTFSH is telling someone he is an idiot or to get educated. Hahahaha and then his girlfriend cop jumps in. I used to come to this forum for advice on my new pup but here recently I come here to read all the drama. To funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of folks that need an education and get their heads on. You may be one. You can enjoy 'drama' or you can try and learn something. Many great guys on this site but most don't post that often. Tired of newbie BS and wannabe opinions.

I speak the truth I've learned, the facts I have, the objective opinion. I am sorry some people don't like it but I won't post BS. If you want people to pet you that's fine but it won't be me.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Mugzwump wrote:Read a book pal. Educate yourself. You have not posted a single fact here.

Mugz.

lol...you said nothing. Imagine that. Nothing to say intelligent. THAT is your fault not mine.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Read a book pal. Educate yourself. You have not posted a single fact here.

Mugz.

lol...you said nothing. Imagine that. Nothing to say intelligent. THAT is your fault not mine.

I must be talking to a 12 year old. Have fun buddy.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:01 pm

To be honest he went thru just like all the dogs I train. Normal issues...he did try to bite me the first time I put pressure on his ear but we dealt with that pretty fast.

cn44 wrote:
labman63 wrote:I have what looks like a lab/pit( I call him Pitador) I'm training for a guy. He asked if I could train it to hunt ducks so I said I'll give it a shot. He is about a yr old and is in walking fetch now and picking up 150 yrd marks and delivering to hand. We will start FTP later this week I guess. This dog will surely hunt next yr. Not my cup of tea but it's what the customer wanted.

How long did it take to get the dog through the amount of training you did, compared to, on average, how long it takes for a well bred dog to get through same training? Not trying to backdoor any snide remarks here, I just am curious if you feel there was a different learning curve or different techniques had to be implemented. I know all dogs are different and maturity levels progress differently; just wondering.
labman63
hunter

Postby Sammyshonker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:24 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Yup, you pretty much prove the point, you got issues doode, ever consider a shrink? Over 17k posts , 6+ per day for years, really? Maybe you need a little break from your obsession...

Try this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Postby Merganzor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi guys. Uneducated newbie wannabe here about to lay some BS on you. I got a lab/gsp mix because I wanted a dog who would point upland and retrieve waterfowl. I got a dog that flushes birds at 200 yards and can't swim. It also starts shivering at 60 degrees. He is nails on marking and handling when training, but he seems to have another gear when hunting, if 0 can be considered a gear. When I have to walk in in the dark, he always manages to disappear before I get to my spot, only to appear after the first volley (with no idea where any of the birds fell). He is freaking murder on the local squirrel and rabbit populations, though. First day of the season, I set up on the edge of a wood duck hole. Birds landing in the decoys before LST. Finally the time comes and I drop one about 10 yards in front of us and send the dog. He leaps like he is shot out of a cannon...straight into the woods behind us to tree a squirrel, hopping like Pepe le Peu the whole way. I still hunt him if it's just me, but he stays home if there is any other option. Pretty good pet, though.
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
Merganzor
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 am

Sammyshonker wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Yup, you pretty much prove the point, you got issues doode, ever consider a shrink? Over 17k posts , 6+ per day for years, really? Maybe you need a little break from your obsession...

Try this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management

Has nothing to do with 'anger' it has to do with being realistic and not just being a 'cheerleader' to people about to make bad decisions. Frankly I'd always err on the side of caution if someone didn't know the best way to proceed than trying to comfort or be 'nice' knowing their path might bring huge mistakes and disappointment.

Problem is guys like you try to endorse something you know nothing about. You act like your 'rescue' is likely the same the next guy will get. When in fact...while you may be happy with your 1 experience there are probably 5,000 that got toasted with a rescue hunting dog. You really don't have the capacity to think beyond 'you'. Nor do you give a rats azz about the outcome in your bad advice to someone. You just want to cheer lead and act like a nice, knowledgeable guy.

IMO that's cheap and irresponsible.

But in the end instead of debating or defending your point or belief you immediately run to insulting people personally and being a worthless smartarse. Many weak people here do that. They are so frustrated they can't defend or support their claims they get mad and begin insulting. See it all the time.

Try debating dog if you feel you have a point. Other than that you are just a blowhard which does no one any good.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Labs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 am

HNTFSH wrote:Has nothing to do with 'anger' it has to do with being realistic and not just being a 'cheerleader' to people about to make bad decisions. Frankly I'd always err on the side of caution if someone didn't know the best way to proceed than trying to comfort or be 'nice' knowing their path might bring huge mistakes and disappointment.

Problem is guys like you try to endorse something you know nothing about. You act like your 'rescue' is likely the same the next guy will get. When in fact...while you may be happy with your 1 experience there are probably 5,000 that got toasted with a rescue hunting dog. You really don't have the capacity to think beyond 'you'. Nor do you give a rats azz about the outcome in your bad advice to someone. You just want to cheer lead and act like a nice, knowledgeable guy.

But in the end instead of debating or defending your point or belief you immediately run to insulting people personally and being a worthless smartarse. Many weak people here do that. They are so frustrated they can't defend or support their claims they get mad and begin insulting. See it all the time.

Try debating dog if you feel you have a point. Other than that you are just a blowhard which does no one any good.

Got this the other day from a friend...thought it goes well with your post:

Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you.

Proverbs 9: 7,8 NLT

Rings pretty dang true, here...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 am

Labs wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Has nothing to do with 'anger' it has to do with being realistic and not just being a 'cheerleader' to people about to make bad decisions. Frankly I'd always err on the side of caution if someone didn't know the best way to proceed than trying to comfort or be 'nice' knowing their path might bring huge mistakes and disappointment.

Got this the other day from a friend...thought it goes well with your post:

Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you.

Proverbs 9: 7,8 NLT

Rings pretty dang true, here...

HA!! So true. I'd liken that to the many PM's received were the wise man was looking for real help off the record. And happy to help.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum