Lab Mixes?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby BigRiver » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 am

Had a Lab/GSP. Great dog. Loved him very much. Super with the family. All I wanted was a duck dog. I was young and broke and thought as long as he knew Sit Stay Come I would take him hunting as he loved to retrieve already. Once we got to live situations the last thing he wanted to do was go get birds. Took him Pheasant hunting and that was his thing. He would would point and hold the point, I actually got a beeper collar for him in the end. It was a lot of fun but the thing is I go Pheasant hunting twice per year. I duck hunt all season. So when someone says it is a crap shoot, I would believe them. That said all dogs are a crap shoot. I would just choose to go where my odds are better.
User avatar
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am
Location: SE Minnesota Not SEMN


Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 am

BigRiver wrote:Had a Lab/GSP. Great dog. Loved him very much. Super with the family. All I wanted was a duck dog. I was young and broke and thought as long as he knew Sit Stay Come I would take him hunting as he loved to retrieve already. Once we got to live situations the last thing he wanted to do was go get birds. Took him Pheasant hunting and that was his thing. He would would point and hold the point, I actually got a beeper collar for him in the end. It was a lot of fun but the thing is I go Pheasant hunting twice per year. I duck hunt all season. So when someone says it is a crap shoot, I would believe them. That said all dogs are a crap shoot. I would just choose to go where my odds are better.


Odds are always better over your handmade dekes. Still enjoy the deke you sent - floats great. :thumbsup: No swatters in my camp except the occasional land owner kid and the duck hs to swim off your mallard before shooting. :lol3:

Plenty of us have had inexpensive or not well thought out dogs. Not many buy their first dog young and know the ropes.

God forbid we share any actual experience/advice being houlier than know with some miles under us.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18854
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:21 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Sammyshonker wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Sammyshonker wrote:I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:


You sir are the drama queen. Some pose good, honest questions/push back. YOU pose complete bitchery, BS.



Yup, you pretty much prove the point, you got issues doode, ever consider a shrink? Over 17k posts , 6+ per day for years, really? Maybe you need a little break from your obsession...

Try this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management


Has nothing to do with 'anger' it has to do with being realistic and not just being a 'cheerleader' to people about to make bad decisions. Frankly I'd always err on the side of caution if someone didn't know the best way to proceed than trying to comfort or be 'nice' knowing their path might bring huge mistakes and disappointment.

Problem is guys like you try to endorse something you know nothing about. You act like your 'rescue' is likely the same the next guy will get. When in fact...while you may be happy with your 1 experience there are probably 5,000 that got toasted with a rescue hunting dog. You really don't have the capacity to think beyond 'you'. Nor do you give a rats azz about the outcome in your bad advice to someone. You just want to cheer lead and act like a nice, knowledgeable guy.

IMO that's cheap and irresponsible.

But in the end instead of debating or defending your point or belief you immediately run to insulting people personally and being a worthless smartarse. Many weak people here do that. They are so frustrated they can't defend or support their claims they get mad and begin insulting. See it all the time.

Try debating dog if you feel you have a point. Other than that you are just a blowhard which does no one any good.



Do you have trouble reading? holy moly... this guy is special.

I did NOT say I was happy with my "rescue" as a hunting dog. She's a miserable brat and never did I say she was meant to be a hunting dog in the first place.

After 17k posts I guess there is only one of two ways you would come off... either knowledgeable or knuckle-headed. Everyone here but you knows which of the two you are.

Wait before you skip over half of what everyone has written and make assumptions on what kind of people are legitimately attempting to have a discussion about topics that interest them...
:fingerhead:

FYI since you can't read a full sentence without barfing bullshit, my advice WAS to go with a pure bred. Though I DO respect the OP's interest in alternatives and unlike people who can not comprehend that thought or any thoughts past farting, I don't pass judgement on those who are only curious.

Sorry guys but this thread has been hijacked and has crashed and burned.

Good luck to the OP on his quest for a dog that suits him.

:beer:

*ripcord*

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

I hope everyone gets the dog they want.
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Sammyshonker wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Sammyshonker wrote:I think it's incredible how some have their panties in a wad just because you posed the question... Not the first time it's happened here, Amazing- :rolleyes:


You sir are the drama queen. Some pose good, honest questions/push back. YOU pose complete bitchery, BS.



Yup, you pretty much prove the point, you got issues doode, ever consider a shrink? Over 17k posts , 6+ per day for years, really? Maybe you need a little break from your obsession...

Try this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger_management


Has nothing to do with 'anger' it has to do with being realistic and not just being a 'cheerleader' to people about to make bad decisions. Frankly I'd always err on the side of caution if someone didn't know the best way to proceed than trying to comfort or be 'nice' knowing their path might bring huge mistakes and disappointment.

Problem is guys like you try to endorse something you know nothing about. You act like your 'rescue' is likely the same the next guy will get. When in fact...while you may be happy with your 1 experience there are probably 5,000 that got toasted with a rescue hunting dog. You really don't have the capacity to think beyond 'you'. Nor do you give a rats azz about the outcome in your bad advice to someone. You just want to cheer lead and act like a nice, knowledgeable guy.

IMO that's cheap and irresponsible.

But in the end instead of debating or defending your point or belief you immediately run to insulting people personally and being a worthless smartarse. Many weak people here do that. They are so frustrated they can't defend or support their claims they get mad and begin insulting. See it all the time.

Try debating dog if you feel you have a point. Other than that you are just a blowhard which does no one any good.



Do you have trouble reading? holy moly... this guy is special.

I did NOT say I was happy with my "rescue" as a hunting dog. She's a miserable brat and never did I say she was meant to be a hunting dog in the first place.

After 17k posts I guess there is only one of two ways you would come off... either knowledgeable or knuckle-headed. Everyone here but you knows which of the two you are.

Wait before you skip over half of what everyone has written and make assumptions on what kind of people are legitimately attempting to have a discussion about topics that interest them...
:fingerhead:

FYI since you can't read a full sentence without barfing bullshit, my advice WAS to go with a pure bred. Though I DO respect the OP's interest in alternatives and unlike people who can not comprehend that thought or any thoughts past farting, I don't pass judgement on those who are only curious.

Sorry guys but this thread has been hijacked and has crashed and burned.

Good luck to the OP on his quest for a dog that suits him.

:beer:

*ripcord*

Mugz.


You're only point seems to be my post count since 2006. Please don't attempt to debate me if all you have is insult and innuendo. It's boring and I don't have time. I read and comprehend fine. I actually put effort in posts and do my homework on the topic.

It's THIS thinking (YOUR WORDS) which are nonsense. As if any dog talked about on this thread of a breed master defining the new well thought-out - well paired mixed breeds with demonstrable 100 years goals of creating a 'new breed' of great dog.

You know an ounce and pronunce a mile. Nobody has any use for you.

Mugzwump wrote:

No offense but that there is a lot of BS thinking...

All dogs that are "pure bred" were at some point or another crossed to take the best traits of two or more types of dog. You think God just plopped a Lab out and said go help out that duck hunter?? All the working dogs we use today were all bred to be the way they are from multiple mutts and then refined into what they are today. Look it up. Labs only became recognized as pedigree in the early 1900's.

Personally as I've mentioned earlier, from my experience, and It seems that is what the OP is looking for, my mutt is useless... but she wasn't bred on purpose, she's a total random. My pure bred lab was a champ.

There are many breeders who are crossing breeds looking for the next "perfect" mutt. If the OP should happen on one he'd be damn lucky in my honest opinion.

I just think it's sad when people refuse to read the question at hand and respond honestly without floundering into bottomless judgement.

:beer:
Mugz.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18854
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Sorry I didn't get that on account of all the banjos playing every time you post.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby BigRiver » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:57 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
BigRiver wrote:Had a Lab/GSP. Great dog. Loved him very much. Super with the family. All I wanted was a duck dog. I was young and broke and thought as long as he knew Sit Stay Come I would take him hunting as he loved to retrieve already. Once we got to live situations the last thing he wanted to do was go get birds. Took him Pheasant hunting and that was his thing. He would would point and hold the point, I actually got a beeper collar for him in the end. It was a lot of fun but the thing is I go Pheasant hunting twice per year. I duck hunt all season. So when someone says it is a crap shoot, I would believe them. That said all dogs are a crap shoot. I would just choose to go where my odds are better.


Odds are always better over your handmade dekes. Still enjoy the deke you sent - floats great. :thumbsup: No swatters in my camp except the occasional land owner kid and the duck hs to swim off your mallard before shooting. :lol3:

Plenty of us have had inexpensive or not well thought out dogs. Not many buy their first dog young and know the ropes.

God forbid we share any actual experience/advice being houlier than know with some miles under us.



Good to see you are still here. Iv'e been gone for a while now. Seems some things never change at DHC. Everyone gets quickly butthurt and goes on the attack. Forums are a funny thing, everyone is there own expert witness and no one listens. Funny how "misunderstanding" like these almost never happen face to face. Everything gets twisted and misconstrued when written. Happens all the time via email/text at work, why should a Duck Hunting forum be any differnet.

I wish the OP the best. I loved Max but he had no interest in being a duck dog. This can happen with Lab/Brittany cross as well.

Anyone else think it funny that a purse dog cross is a hybred and has its own name like puggle and mutt hunting dogs are just mutts?

Glad the deek is still floating on the Plond :lol3:

Hope all is well with you.
User avatar
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am
Location: SE Minnesota Not SEMN

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Mugzwump wrote:Sorry I didn't get that on account of all the banjos playing every time you post.

Mugz.



Hey now!! I like banjos!!
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:40 pm

TomKat wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Sorry I didn't get that on account of all the banjos playing every time you post.

Mugz.



Hey now!! I like banjos!!


haha... I've been known to play one here and there! Actual banjos... not my cousin. Just so we are clear. :lol3:

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:30 pm

For a while the dog forum seemed to be getting more enjoyable, I see now it has turned back to its douchetastic ways.
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby buckmeister » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 pm

I have a cross between a French St. Huberts water dog and a Greater Newfoundland, could have been a decent duck dog but I never force fetched it.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 am

buckmeister wrote:I have a cross between a French St. Huberts water dog and a Greater Newfoundland, could have been a decent duck dog but I never force fetched it.



How dare you make that mistake! :thumbsup: I didn't FF either, nothing against it, it has its time and place.
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Sammyshonker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 pm

I crossed a bull dog and a Shitzu and came up with a breed that smells alot like the advice from a couple of the computer experts here :grooving:
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
User avatar
Sammyshonker
hunter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 pm
Location: timbuc3

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby HLO_Wes » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks everyone for you input. I learned a lot and got a few laughs out of it too. :lol3:
User avatar
HLO_Wes
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm
Location: Mankato, MN

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Cboettcher12 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 am

I know that my lab/pointer mix is one hell of a duck dog! She is only 40lbs and she walks all over my buddy's lab. The only issue she has is she won't sit still. Always walking around the decoys, blind, field, chewing on sticks, wants to be pet, get bored and whines uncontrollably, etc. The pointer in her makes her want to go, go,go!!! But when the action is good, or when we have a few hour training session, she listens and is the best dog in the world. She started on singles and doubles, and now she uses 4-6 dummies plus a launcher!!! It's getting rediculous, we are never going to shoot that many at one time, but this year she grabbed 3 cripples, all divers in about 6 - 12 inches of water!!! She clamped on there heads and waited for the feet to go and went to the next one. Then she brought them all back!!! But like I said, super unsteady, but she will stay even when birds are locking up in the dekes. Just have to know your dog!!!
Cboettcher12
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Labs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:37 am

I bet the whining uncontrollably is a treat in the blind, however, there are some labs out there that do it to


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mayer, MN

Re: Lab Mixes?

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

My mutt doesn't bother with the whining. She just ups and leaves... as soon as she's not having fun she says "the heck with ya'll" and heads back to the truck... it is nice to have a warm seat at the end of a long day though! lol.. silly dog, not much of a worker that one.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests