Kennel Labs ?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Kennel Labs ?

Postby aaron » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:38 pm

Anyone keep labs in kennels ? I know they are great pets and house dogs but I'd like to get another dog or two and just don't have anymore room in the house with my big male and wife's two cats. All that said, I have 4 great kennels out in the backyard that were built by the previous owner. How do labs do in kennel life ?
aaron
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Aaron,
I have a choco. lab and she's ben in her kennel since day one. She dose great out there. But make sure that it's a well built kennel. Also provide PLENTY of shade for them and a large watering tub, so they can take a cool bath on hot summer days. A dog house is also a good idea. And when it gets down in the 30's during the winter. Fill it full of hay, put ALOT in there they will smash it all down and make a cozy nest. Hope this information proves helpful.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:41 am

Overhead screening to cut the sun in the summer and plywood sides to cut the north and West winds in the winter is important too. And clean the kennels florr regularily.

Just let them out at least once a day to get some excercise for at least 15 minutes. and Give them attention too. I've seen too many attention deprived dogs where they are ignored-that is not fair to the dog. So make the decision to spend quality time with the kenneled daogs and they should do OK .
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:53 pm

I agree with H2O, I've had a couple good kennel dogs.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:39 pm

YES..... Make sure you give them LOTS of attention... During January and Febuary my dog is Very lonely... I can't spend an hour out there playing with her in the single digit blizzards. So it's basicly giver her food, break her ice, give her fresh water. And by that time I'm frozen... But during the hunting season she gets tons of attention, out hunting 3 or 4 times a week and such. Then in the summer when she has pups, she gets attention agian but her pup's get more than her... Poor thing. My Avatar is last years litter... Some how we got yellow in there. When we bred a choco and a black... They might have got it from there grandparents... Well hope this info proves helpfull.......

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:22 pm

We kept our dog outside ever sice we got it and it works just fine. Just make sure it has enough fresh water, and stays out of the sun.
mallardhunter
hunter

Kennel Labs ?

Postby Duckhunter16 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:02 pm

I keep my lab outside but sometimes during the summer I'll bring his kennel in and let him in for the after noon. He just can't take that 100+ degree heat. But thats just me he seems to really like it though.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:22 pm

Just say no to the kennel. The fact that your other dog is inside means you have already experienced the true companionship of a lab. Labs are wonderful companions and being a hunting dog is just a bonus. We have two in the house and while it is one more body, it is not that big of a deal. In fact, the dogs tend to keep each other company making everyone happier.

Going out in the rain, heat or cold is no fun. Imagine living in it. Inside is just a better quality of life for them. I fully expect an attack from the outdoor dog crowd telling me that having them inside makes them soft, ruins their nose, makes they coat thin, etc., but it is all wives tales and I have the dogs to prove it. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:58 pm

I think being inside might make their coat thinner, but you shouldn't deny yourself or your dog the company, even if it's just at night that they come in, there well worth the trouble, usually. I kinda think kennel life is kinda abusive in a way, dogs need to get out at least once a day, and not sleep in their own crap. :thumbsdown:
phillipstd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum