Duck Hunting Forum banner

Training program?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  GarDuck 
#1 ·
I'm trying to avoid the whole training professional deal since our next pup will be our family pet and hunter on the side? This will be my first time trying to train a waterfowl retriever and I'm new to the whole thing. Any tips and info will be appreciated on the timeline of what kind of training and when to do it as the puppy gets older. Thanks

#2 ·
it doesn't take that new pup long to figure out where it's food is kept,or the word NO! They are learning as soon as you bring them home. I start serious training at 4 months. OB first then move on with hunting :welcome: Watch out` it can be addicting (15 minutes a day, but don't miss too many days in a row) Have fun :beer:

#3 ·
Basics are basics when it comes to starting out with a puppy ... It does not matter what your end goal is ... Hunting dog, HT dog or FT dog. I would suggest either Sound Beginnings from Jackie Mertins or Bill Hillmans's Training a Retriever Puppy. Both give you a good grasp as to what you should be starting out with when training your pup.

Edit ... Sorry just saw your note "without program" but I would still recommend you get one or the other dvd's that will give you a good timeline for your training.

#4 ·
Theres nothing cheap about duck hunting. Programs will run you from $20-$100, and that's a tiny pecentage of the money your dog cost to maintain with food, vet bills, ect...Not to mention all the money spent on gear. Bite the bullet and you will save headache and have a much better obedient dog as well as hunting companion.

#6 ·
Still recommend Hillman and Mertens for puppies. For complete gun dog programs you could look at Rick Stawski's Fowl Dawg series or Evan Graham's Smart Work series

#7 ·
BRAVO!!!
Congrats for being brave enough to buck the Rex Carr based pressure program trend.
Start with a couple retrieves, a couple times a day. Take your pup afield and run them through woodlots and fields as well as water when weather permits. Get them well socialized by taking them to as many strange places as possible. Let them drag a short piece of rope clipped to their collar. After a few days, to get used to you and your home, start teaching them sit. Try to only call your pup to you when you know they are listening and going to come anyway.
Above all, have fun.
You CAN build a great hunting partner without pinching and zapping.

#8 ·
Train to the highest level ye can, if ye fall short the dog can still be a great family companion. Should ye exceed ye own training goals, ye will only have a better dog to gun over.

Ye see me logic here? Good luck and enjoy ye pup.

Irishwhistler

#9 ·
sgk said:
BRAVO!!! You CAN build a great hunting partner without pinching and zapping.
Have you even watched the Mertens or Hillman DVDs?? No "pinching or zapping" involved!

To the OP ... These programs will give you a great intro into obedience and learning for your puppy.

#10 ·
sgk said:
BRAVO!!!
Congrats for being brave enough to buck the Rex Carr based pressure program trend.
Start with a couple retrieves, a couple times a day. Take your pup afield and run them through woodlots and fields as well as water when weather permits. Get them well socialized by taking them to as many strange places as possible. Let them drag a short piece of rope clipped to their collar. After a few days, to get used to you and your home, start teaching them sit. Try to only call your pup to you when you know they are listening and going to come anyway.
Above all, have fun.
You CAN build a great hunting partner without pinching and zapping.
Nobody said anything about pressure. Or that you have to use an ecollar but 99% of this board will say pick a program and stick to it. If you choose to not use a an ecollar there are ways around it. But the programs still teach OB, intro to gun, intro to birds, and things not to do that start bad habits. Thats the point. I dont know why Duck dog basics dvd never gets mentioned. Its not as thorough as some others like smartworks. But $20 and if you follow it, you'll have a great dog. He does a good a job on what to do when things arent going well too, which isn't covered on other programs. I havent watched fowl dawgs but it and Hillmans gets high remarks. I feel like DDB is a darn good program though. I followed it and I am very pleased with my dog after her first season. I dont see much more progress a man could make unless hes a pro that has everything down and trains twice a day everyday. But for the average how hunts I feel like its a great program to follow. Its very informative even if you plan to procede on with HT or FT. You'll have a blast training man, stick to it. Its a beautiful thing when all comes togeather for the field. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Thanks everyone :thumbsup: :bow:

Do any of them show a way to work around the e-collar because i wont be using that under any circumstances, and i'm not very fond of the pinch collar either? I'm pretty sure a nice attention grabbing and correcting tug with a regular collar is enough over pinching them with a pointy collar. :smile: If none do (which they probably don't) which one is the most in depth and are best for a newbie like me? :help:

#12 ·
All of the programs I've watched use e-collar at a certain step. But you can just skip that section. PM Rick Hall on here, that's his screen name on here. Im pretty sure he trains without e-collar. I know hes written on several threads about training without one. Im sure he could point you in a good direction. All the programs mentioned are good and will make you a good gun dog. Its like trucks, some people like chevy, some like Ford's, and some like Dodges. There are pros and cons to each and a little pricing differences. Theres nothing wrong with not using an e-collar but you should just watch the section on the program you choose. Its not like the old days where you burn the dog and theres very little settings on them. You may still choose not to use it, but at least you'll see how and why some do. I've only trained one dog but from all I've read and watched its nothing like it used to be or even what you think it is if done properly.

#13 ·
brsutton86 said:
I dont know why Duck dog basics dvd never gets mentioned.
The only reason I didn't mention it is because I am not familiar with it! :smile:

#14 ·
A good snap with a "regular collar" is potentially more damaging for various reasons. One when using a "regular collar" the larger surface area produces more of a tug which dogs are much more resistant to and seeing as how this is your first hunting dog your timing will likely be off like all ours when we first started. Meaning that you will most likely do it poorly with a crummy tool causing you to repeat your efforts prolonging the period of needed to jerk your dog in order to see the desired results increasing stress and strain on your buddys neck.

Whether or not you are fired up about an e collar you should do adequate research on the subject to decide if its best for you. The truth about e collars is they are highly adjustable systems and can be tuned to near imperceptible levels if that is your desire. (Put it on my tongue once and my moms neck). That being said the only argument I see against it is the difficulty of remembering to charge it and put it on the dog as well as the potential for it to get hung up on something while hunting. A risk I am willing to take for have the ability to stop my dog any time anywhere no matter what and make corrections instantaneously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.