Dog acl questions

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dog acl questions

Postby Ace088 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:18 pm

My 4 yr old lab tore her acl the beginning of sept this year and I had surgury done around the end of sept. She seems to be doing well still had her just leash walking as our wonderful Wisconsin weather has ice everywhere and afraid of her slipping. Anyone have any advice or any more info on time frame of close to normal recovery. Thanks
Ace088
hunter

Re: Dog acl questions

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am

Did you get a TPLO or TTA?

I have a dog that has had 2 TPLO's...I would say 6-8 weeks. But then again this dog is a senior (10). Don't rush it, give it time to heal properly. Dog should be kennel bound and walked on a leash to eliminate. That's it for a while. You are probably past that point, but don't let the dog run around etc. until fully healed.

As far as slipping on the ice, definitely watch out for it. Don't take the dog in places like that. Shovel some snow, melt the ice with a propane tank torch (not salt, it hurts their pads).

Good luck
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Ace088 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm

I had the lateral suture done. She seems to walk/trot for a few weeks just fine then the next week she skips once in a while when she starts to move faster than a walk. Tried to avoid as much ice as possible but it is impossible this year.
Ace088
hunter

Postby dkilburn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

You should have had follow ups with xrays. At 12 weeks the dog should have been released from restrictions ( with good judgement until the muscle has developed back) assuming the rehab was done correctly. If the dog is limping still, may need to get a check up to rule out an infection at the surg site.
dkilburn
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum