Really nervous about my new pup and gun shyness:/

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Really nervous about my new pup and gun shyness:/

Postby Mikeyford3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm

My pup is about 14 weeks old she's a chesapeake bay retriever. I came home the other day from a walk in the woods with her and my daughter was jumping on bubble rap in the house and I didn't realize when I walked in. My dog mally and I walked inside and she heard the loud noise, she didn't run but she kind of shyd away and tucked her tail a little, I instally starte. Praising her and grabbed the nearest toy and started playing. Do you guys think this is something to worry about? She is still really young and a retrieving machine. I don't want to introduce her to gun until she is older and I want to do it while she is in stride for a retrieve. I'm just hoping it was just cause it was new noise.
Mikeyford3
Newb

Re: Really nervous about my new pup and gun shyness:/

Postby cn44 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Were you surprised when you heard your daughter jumping on the bubble wrap? More than likely just surprised the pup.
cn44
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

You praised her while her tail was tucked? Be careful, or you will be praising the very behavior you are trying to avoid. I highly doubt some bubble wrap ruined your dog. Just continue as you normally would with breaking her to the gun and see how she does. No sense gettin worried until you know there's a problem.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Mikeyford3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Very true I was surprised when I heard it as well. And I didn't really praise her just started playing with her and the toy letting her know the noise was okay.
Mikeyford3
Newb

Postby Max4Holly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 pm

This could be horrible advice but it's worked for me. From day 1 while feeding the puppy I stood at the opposite end of the house and while my wife put food down I shot a cap gun, step closer each day...I now shoot next to him before the bowl goes down.... He could care less, but this 11 week old pup doesn't seemed phased by much. My wife dropped a BIG stew pan the other night while getting it out of the cupboard I cringed and when I opened my eyes the dog had proceeded to drag the pan to a corner and attempt to eat it then hump it....(which most of us males do....just not to pans...)
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 am

If you wait to introduce gun fire while on a retrieve you could be in for a world of hurt. Read the sticky above....thats what its there for.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mtncntrykid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 am

LaRedneck wrote:If you wait to introduce gun fire while on a retrieve you could be in for a world of hurt. Read the sticky above....thats what its there for.

I guess I'm not very bright but I can't seem to find where it addresses introducing your puppy to the gun?

Puppy isn't gun shy yet, so that thread doesn't apply. Training your puppy thread doesn't cover it. FAQ's doesn't get it either. Could you direct us please?
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:35 am

mtncntrykid wrote:....Puppy isn't gun shy yet, so that thread doesn't apply.....
Well, I guess that you must know everything already.

The best time to cure gun shyness, is before you see the symptoms.
And even after you see the symptoms, the prescribed medicine still has the exact same ingredients.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:42 am

copterdoc wrote:
mtncntrykid wrote:....Puppy isn't gun shy yet, so that thread doesn't apply.....
Well, I guess that you must know everything already.

The best time to cure gun shyness, is before you see the symptoms.
And even after you see the symptoms, the prescribed medicine still has the exact same ingredients.

I'm simply trying to find out if I missed something somewhere that addressed this issue that was written and discussed by you more knowledgable people on this forum. Sorry if you got your feathers ruffled!!!
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:49 am

Get your pup on live birds.

That's probably the single most important thing that "hunters" neglect in the "training" of their young meat dogs.

They are never too young for live birds.
And as long as you make it fun (IE no freaking silly Human rules) and quit while the pup is just getting warmed up, it installs a bird powered afterburner in the dog.

That afterburner will later get you out of a lot of jams that would have completely crushed a dog not so indoctrinated.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Mikeyford3 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks for all the info guys.
Mikeyford3
Newb

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:29 am

Throw a couple fun bumpers for the pup. Have a friend stand 100 yards away with a .22 Throw the bumper and have him shoot while in the air a few times. Next day same thing then maybe 3rd throw 75 yards. Keep getting the gun closer SLOWLY. After a few days you'll be sitting on a bucket throwing and shooting yourself. If at ANYTIME the pup cowards or stays looking at the gun, stop. Move the gun back farther away the next day and move slower. Its easy and simple, just dont rush it. When you move from the .22 to a 20 guage and such move the gun back farther away and repeat the process. Have fun!
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102734

Your telling me this thread doesn't help you at all?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mtncntrykid » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 pm

LaRedneck wrote:http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=102734

Your telling me this thread doesn't help you at all?

It's a good thread but it doesn't address a 14 week old puppy and for new puppy owners that are trying to do the right things, it tells them nothing about how to deal with their puppy.

"Read the sticky above....thats what its there for."

Maybe you should try to remember back when you were with your first dog and scared that any little thing you do wrong could ruin your puppy for life. You might not be so quick to flame someone for asking help.

I guess I just expected a little more understanding from a moderator is all.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 am

I'm new to this too. My pup is also 14 weeks old. Just keep things loud around the house randomly, vacuum, pans clanging together, clapping your hands, just anything to make the loud noises used to her so it won't scare her when you do introduce gun fire. Which should be around 5-6 months from what I understand and the guide I'm following.

But you think that's bad.. I went to walk outside today holding my pup and as soon as I stepped out the door my nephew shot his 20 gauge not 20 yards from the door. Luckily it didn't scare her at all.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 am

brsutton86 wrote:Throw a couple fun bumpers for the pup. Have a friend stand 100 yards away with a .22 Throw the bumper and have him shoot while in the air a few times. Next day same thing then maybe 3rd throw 75 yards. Keep getting the gun closer SLOWLY. After a few days you'll be sitting on a bucket throwing and shooting yourself. If at ANYTIME the pup cowards or stays looking at the gun, stop. Move the gun back farther away the next day and move slower. Its easy and simple, just dont rush it. When you move from the .22 to a 20 guage and such move the gun back farther away and repeat the process. Have fun!

Yup .... Realize that it is not always easy for people to get live birds (pigeons are perfect for this) but birds are better for this than bumpers. Introduce the pup to live birds prior to the gun introduction .... Clip wing or lock winged pigeons because they can move about and keep the puppies interest up in chasing. You will then have a pup who is so TOTALLY into live birds and focused on that clip wing bird when it is tossed out in front of them that they will not even notice as you start to introduce the gun at a distance.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am

I was teaching my oldest daughter to drive andhandled gun introduction that way. We put the pup in the rig to come along for the ride on those drives. We made sure to drive by the shotgun range with the windows up. Bella was curious about the noise. The next time we drove by we cracked one window so she heard a bit more noise. She was really curious and whined a bit showing she wanted to go check it out. The next trip we specifically drove by the range three times. The last pass by we stopped in the parking lot with the windows down for about two minutes then left.

The next day we went to the range and parked as far away from the shooting as possible. We left the windows up since it was a cool day and thye family shot some skeet. Bella was sitting in the front seat watching us the entire time. After a couple rounds, my wife went to the truck and rolled the windows down a bit. After a while Tricia leashed her to the bumper and stayed with her. Bella was going nuts trying to get to me. After a few sets of skeet, Tricia brought Bella half way to me and sat her in place for a few sets. We ended the day with her standing at heel while I threw the skeet, with my wife and two daughters shoot about 20 feet away.

Gun shyness is not as big of a deal as new owners often think. As reccomended above, start introducing noises at moderate levels and then increase them with the pup until the are normal. When the pup ignores or is curious about the noise, reward that with a treat. The pup will soon relate loud sounds with positive things. Using this or similar processes should lead to gun familiarization being very painless with your pup.

If I accidentally bang pans in the kitchen, my girl still comes running.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby RCLCJR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Don't worry about it. Just be careful when you start introducing it to louder noises and take slow baby steps. Make the dog confident. A confident dog is a dog that is not afraid. End every session of anything you do with the dog on a good note and like was stated before, don't get over eager and take it too far, just when the dog is getting ramped up on something, take it away and come back to it later, that really makes their desire go through the roof.
RCLCJR
hunter

Postby Mikeyford3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah I'm def taking it slow and loud noises in this house is not a problem my daughter runs around screaming and banging things lol. She's a very confident dog, I was just scared of the thought this incident could have hurt her and wanted to see everyone else's opinion was on my situation.
Mikeyford3
Newb

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

I have found that the way described at starting at a distance ( birds better than bumpers but go with what's accessible) then moving up. Always watch the reaction of the pup because some are more sensitive than others . I have always had my pups associate gunfire with retrieving and birds. Doing random noises in the house doesn't do that. Try banging a pot next to a baby and see what happens. Nothing to associate it with. I don't do the food pan bit either. I don't shoot pans, too hard to clean. Bumpers work because they are being used as artificial birds essentially.
labsforme
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 pm

FYI I have artillery, mortars, rockets, etc always exploding around my house. I live on a marine corps base. Walls shake and it'll scare the crap out of you. Hasn't ruined my dogs yet. Yours will be fine.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum