Creative Lining Drills

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: Creative Lining Drills

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:07 am

For the record, we stay the hey out of the developing rice, other than teal hunting the second crop, to keep on the farmers' good side and do most of our training on fallow acreage and pasture. Are, however, blessed with what the pros who share it tell me is a pretty fair "technical pond":

Though most days after the pups have their legs, I think of it as our after-training (or hunt) "dog wash," rather than training grounds. I'm most inclined to want to roam the countryside with my guys utilizing locations that present concepts we're working on in a variety of settings and manifestations. And that they fit that style of training so well little doubt plays into my love of memories. Not, by any means, the do-all, end-all of our blind line conditioning, but plenty useful.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 am

Rick Hall wrote:For the record, we stay the hey out of the developing rice, other than teal hunting the second crop, to keep on the farmers' good side and do most of our training on fallow acreage and pasture. Are, however, blessed with what the pros who share it tell me is a pretty fair "technical pond":

So you got yourself a technical paddy or two down there, eh? Excellent.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 am

Rick that looks snaky as hell. Thats one way to keep them from docking early.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:58 am

"If you a train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~ Rex Carr
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 am

Right now, your dog doesn't know much about lining. And it doesn't need to.

You need to teach the dog to handle first.
To take a cast, and carry that cast with momentum.

Even if it's initial lines suck, and it over-casts or under-casts by 20 degrees every time, that's just dandy.

However, if the dog is slinking out when you say "BACK", recalling itself when it sees potential trouble, popping, no-going, hunting on blinds, or fighting to return to old blinds/falls you have big problems.

You simply can't afford to nit-pick the dog on early cold blinds.

If it goes when you say go, stops when you say stop, and takes your casts and carries them in the general direction that you give them, that's perfectly okay at this point.

Get the handling down first. Get the dog to be totally confident in you, and your casts.
Worry about precision lining later.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 am

copterdoc wrote:"If you a train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~ Rex Carr

Ahh, some Rex-ology to consume :clapping:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 am

That pond's a borrow pit too clean for much wildlife. Snakes, good or bad, apparently can't make much of a living there and are rarely seen once, much less a second time. More importantly, the same holds true for the alligators, though we did share it for a while last Summer with little fellow:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:30 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
copterdoc wrote:"If you a train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~ Rex Carr

Perhaps a derivative of the Escalon shuffle.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 am

Rick Hall wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:
copterdoc wrote:"If up some decent challengesu a train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~ Rex Carr

Perhaps a derivative of the Escalon shuffle.

:lol3:
Those areas you posted DO look that they'd offer up some decent challenges for a pup. Curious Rick- is it hard walkin' in that? (In the water and around the shore?)
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:35 am

:smile: :smile: :smile: Rex learned that the hard way. His dog's were such pigs, some thought they should be dropped for lack of style. That's where the term the "Escalon Shuffle" came from. I understand that years later, he reversed his theory of precision and his dog's began to look happy and run. Of course, once a dog got a look at CL II, there wasn't much to be happy about!!!!!

The collar would probably have grown even faster in popularity than it did except the belief was, that you created electric pigs with it. All of you have to understand that in those days there was no variable intensity. It took a very good and knowledgable trainer to get the most out of a dog and still run a happy dog when hitting him every correction with 10,000 volts.

But that was the thing about Rex; he invented, he learned, he changed, he corrected. He never stopped the innovations in training. Thank You Major Carr.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

I think the overwhelming consensus is dont pick on small stuff just let them go and enjoy they're casts. I guess the bigger blinds you run the easier it is to let them carry lines for a while. Do you sprinkle the general area with bumpers or do you give a strong over if they're line isn't perfect. If there initial line isnt perfect then eventually your gonna have to cast a time or 2 do you want to hold off as long as possible?
GarDuck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

crackerd wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:...MG- easy to forget where Rick hunts and how he hunts...and trains-
.....in those flooded rice fields..where you really cin an open arean walk the dog to a trailing memory blind in water. After a long time of not really appreciating Mike Stewarts' approach to cold blinds, finally could meet halfway with the concept...the Brit concept that is.. :wink:

Swamp, appreciate the insight, but flooded rice ain't exactly got the factors the OP's looking to integrate into his blinds - points, channels, islands, etc. Which he - the OP - summed up in two words: technical pond.

MG

You're right again MG, they really don't have the ideal factors, but hey- one can still create some suction without all the ideal factors, you can still set up poison birds and PUSH the dog. Tell you the truth, a long line of the same kind of vegetation that presents some good cover that runs as far as the eye can see from left to right can present an opportunity for pup to be successful by taking a decent line, because the (lack of) features making it ALL look the same :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Those areas you posted DO look that they'd offer up some decent challenges for a pup. Curious Rick- is it hard walkin' in that? (In the water and around the shore?)

The land here is a patchwork of hard clay, sand, seemingly bottomless "black dirt" from eons of decaying marsh humus and combinations thereof. Some, like the sand and clay "ridge" where that pond was created digging mounds/pockets of sandy soil for fill down to the clay, is as firm as ground most anywhere, some a miserable mire, some in between. Relatively little of what we hunt is as readily navigated as the hard bottomed, virtually vegetation free, mostly swimming water of that pond, so we use it mostly for basics or the part of each Summer when more applicable training areas are too dang hot to work in. Well, that, and to wash the slop off of the dog after he's been worked somewhere more representative of his job sites.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby fishin444 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:04 am

Here is a drill I use for lining and to teach poison bird. I call it my no no drill
Set a pile of orange bumpers out straight back ( yardage will vary on the pup) I place a row of scented bumpers about every ten yards apart back towards me on both sides of the line to the pile back towards the my starting point (large white or black Bumpers) Start both rows of bumpers relatively wide from the line you are going to run the pup and gradually decrease the width as the pup improves. Send hm to the back pile, if pup goes for anything but that correct. I also will stop my dog en route and do a casting drill to one of the large bumpers. I don't use the word no in this drill I use leave it when my dog goes for the wrong bumper. When starting this drill I set it up on an open mowed area so the dog can see all the side bumpers and I will also use dead birds in place of the large bumpers if available. You can also set this drill up for water along a bank one sided as wind tends to destroy the lining if set up both sides. Don't forget to add in those distractions as pup gets more advanced. Gun shots, tossing that bumper over pup as he brings back a retrieve, and so forth
The object of this drill is to teach pup to go get the bird that I tell him to get not the one he wants to get. It has also improved my dogs ability to run in a straight line, as well as his back, angle back, and over commands either hand.
fishin444
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum