Amount of Food

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Amount of Food

Postby MOhunter08 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Hey guys, I got a new pup a little over a week ago and she's just over 7 weeks old. I'm not sure I'm feeding her enough. She looks healthy but she just scarfs it down and attacks her bowl like she hasn't eaten in days. I don't leave the food out all day. I've been giving her about 1/2 C. of Science diet (that's what the breeder was feeding her) 3X a day. So totaling about 1 1/2 C. a day. Is that plenty of food for her?
MOhunter08
hunter

Re: Amount of Food

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't know Science diet, but there should be a feeding guide on the bag of food showing how much to feed on a daily basis based on what your pups adult weight should be. What ever that total daily volume is, I would continue to divide that into three meals per day. As you pup grows keep an eye on their overall body structure to make sure they are not being over fed. You should be able to feel their ribs with some visual definition ... You don't want the puppy to look "ribby" or "tubby".
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I think she just really likes her food. I do have some Purina Pro Plan to switch to once she gets a bit older and is more active.
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:50 pm

My pup likes the blue buffalo brand. I only feed him 2x a day though. 1/2 cup each time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:I don't know Science diet, but there should be a feeding guide on the bag of food showing how much to feed on a daily basis based on what your pups adult weight should be. What ever that total daily volume is, I would continue to divide that into three meals per day. As you pup grows keep an eye on their overall body structure to make sure they are not being over fed. You should be able to feel their ribs with some visual definition ... You don't want the puppy to look "ribby" or "tubby".

Yep. A pup that looks healthy with a strong appetite is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks guys. It's reassuring.
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 am

MOhunter08 wrote:I do have some Purina Pro Plan to switch to once she gets a bit older and is more active.

We do know PPP and they do have a feeding chart / reference chart on the bag. If you are going to move the pup over to PPP .... start to slowly mix the PPP into the Science Diet .... 25%/75%, then 50%/50%, 75%/25% then 100% of the new food and stretch this change over over a number of days. Switch to quick and have the potential to have a dog with the runs until their stomach settles on the new food.

If you are moving to Pro Plan, and want to stick with a puppy food, be sure to get the "Large Breed" Puppy versus the "Puppy" food. Your other option with Pro Plan is to move to the Performance food (30/20) if this is going to be an active hunting dog. The Performance food is an "all life stages" food and many breeders who hunt, test and trial dogs and feed Pro Plan Performance, wean their pups directly onto this food.

Good luck with the pup!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

MOhunter08 wrote:Hey guys, I got a new pup a little over a week ago and she's just over 7 weeks old. I'm not sure I'm feeding her enough. She looks healthy but she just scarfs it down and attacks her bowl like she hasn't eaten in days. I don't leave the food out all day. I've been giving her about 1/2 C. of Science diet (that's what the breeder was feeding her) 3X a day. So totaling about 1 1/2 C. a day. Is that plenty of food for her?

I feed Blue Buffalo and my female pup that is only 5 months now did the same thing. I think it is a lab trait, they are very food driven and love to eat. Now that she is 5 months old she sits and waits for me to put her bowl down and has slowed down quite a bit. You can try the Kong or any other slow feed bowls if she is getting bloated due to her eating habits.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 am

At seven to eight weeks, a Lab pup should be eating as much as it wants to. And that's usually about 2.5 to 3 cups a day.
By the time it's half it's adult weight (at 16 weeks) it should be eating about 5 to 6 cups a day.

If you want to determine how much food the pup needs, put down a lot more than you think the pup could possibly eat, and let it eat until it quits.

When it quits, put the remaining food away.
Do this three times a day, with a six hour wait between feedings.

They will build up fat between growth spurts, but when the spurts come the pup will seem to stretch out in all directions at once, and go from plump and chubby to lean and gangly overnight.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. It makes me feel better about how much I'm feeding her and how she reacts to the food when fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MOhunter08
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum