Labs eating grapes

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Labs eating grapes

Postby WarbirdWaterfowl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 pm

My kid feed my dog some grapes today. I did not realize that she had done it. A few hours later the dog puked about 15 times. Still not acting right. He is wheezing and walking with tail down. google said that grapes can be deadly to labs.

Has anyone experienced this before?
WarbirdWaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm


Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby buckmeister » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Grapes are one of the foods that its claimed can be dangerous for dogs, not just labs. However it really depends on the particular dog. my beagle and English setter use to eat a lot of grapes, I would feed them to them a lot and occasionally the setter would hoist the package of grapes of the counter and they would eat them all, probably would eat about 50 grapes with never a single problem.

It is a good idea to keep hydrogen peroxide around the house in case dogs ingest something they should not, I have not doubt I saved my Chesapeakes life with it.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 am

I hope everything is alright it has need several hours since your last post
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
User avatar
Duck_Popper
hunter
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:24 am

I hope she's alright bud. How's she doing?


I'd hate for something like that to happen to my pup and end up being fatal. If she's still not right I'd take her to the vet ASAP. Didn't know grapes were poisonous to dogs, I'll look out for that now though.
User avatar
ChasinTail
hunter
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby richard133 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:58 am

My lab loves grapes. Will go out and pick them as he wants and has never had a problem....each dog is different though. Best of luck to you
User avatar
richard133
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:13 am

They cause acute renal failure. And the poison is especially concentrated in raisins.

I read somewhere that a single box of Raisinetes can be lethal.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5813
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby sharris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 am

The toxin hasn't been identified which is why a toxic dose is unknown. It doesn't appear to be uniform in grapes as some dogs have eaten a ton of grapes without problems and other die after eating a few. The article below from JVDI has some good info on it.

http://vdi.sagepub.com/content/17/3/223.short
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby WarbirdWaterfowl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for all the info. I took him to the VET last night. They induced vomit. Found about 5 grapes still in there. They gave him some fluids. He seems to be fine today. Sharris the vet explained this exactly. It was an odd sequence of events.

I took him to harris lake yesterday to throw some bumpers to him in the water. He was doing fine until about the 5th retrieve. he started choking really bad then vomiting several times, mostly dry heaves. I called the wife and asked her to Goggle if accidently inhaleing water can do this. So that's when she found out that grapes could be deadly. I thought he was just choking from drinking water on one of the retrieves.

Live and learn. Glad nothing happened.
WarbirdWaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Labs eating grapes

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't think giving grapes or raisins to dogs is a good idea.
Heard garlic was toxic to dogs as well but while researching found garlic pills for dogs...
Internet. Bonjour
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9975
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests