When to introduce dummys

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

When to introduce dummys

Postby vegardar » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 am

Hi.
When do you guys start to introduce dummys in training your puppy? My pup is now 3 months old, and we only do play-retrieves with a tennisball for now. I only throw the ball 3-4 times before I put it away to keep the pup "wanting for more" and more exited the next day. This beeing said, for the puppy, it is really a great way to get to exercise on a soft surface (soccer-field). So I would like to throw the ball more, or start using a dummy for several retrieves. Of course just for fun and no steadiness. The pup is really doing well, and if I throw the ball, he will run like crazy after the ball, and deliever to hand every time - either with me calling the whistle, or just clapping my hands and commanding here.

When are we "done" building the desire and can start throwing more and more retrieves? :wink:
vegardar
hunter

Re: When to introduce dummys

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 am

Anytime! My pups all start on bumpers .... They look at a ball and say "what's that??" :biggrin:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 am

Started mine on a small canvas pup bumper at 6 weeks. Never to early. Im guessing by asking this question, your not following a program. Research them, pick one and follow it. You'll be glad you did.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby vegardar » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am

brsutton86 wrote:Im guessing by asking this question, your not following a program. Research them, pick one and follow it. You'll be glad you did.

I´m am planing on using Chris Akins program and his "Duck dog basic I and II". Have also used Tom Dokkens "Puppy-training", but I can't remember any of them saying when it is OK to train for longer periods of time with bumpers etc. Its all about building the enthusiasm for retrieving with 3-4 tosses.. ;)
vegardar
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:13 pm

vegardar wrote:
brsutton86 wrote:Im guessing by asking this question, your not following a program. Research them, pick one and follow it. You'll be glad you did.

I´m am planing on using Chris Akins program and his "Duck dog basic I and II". Have also used Tom Dokkens "Puppy-training", but I can't remember any of them saying when it is OK to train for longer periods of time with bumpers etc. Its all about building the enthusiasm for retrieving with 3-4 tosses.. ;)

Wait till after your out of the pup stage to throw more than just a couple. i used Duck Dog Badics too and i liked it. For some reason, alot of guys on here wont talk about it. But it worked great for me. He does a good job explaining what do to, when there are problems too. Follow it step by step, and have fun.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Oh I thought you meant hunting partners. I know a lot of dummies
labman63
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum