UP FOR STUD

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

UP FOR STUD

Postby spyro16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 am

Does anyone know of someone in the Minnesota or North Dakota area looking to breed their female lab? We have a 2 yr old AKC Yellow Lab and want one of his puppies since he has been such an awesome dog. We have his pedigree and his parents were pointers and he points on occasion and he retrieves. We need help finding someone interested.
spyro16
Newb

Re: UP FOR STUD

Postby Labs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

No offense, but everyone's idea of "awesome" is different...and it takes more than a pedigree for serious breeders to consider a stud dog. Any hunt test titles? Health clearances? Elbows, hips, eyes, CNM, EIC checked? I'm sure you have a nice dog, however, without a title (that shows how awesome your dog is), or health clearances (that shows the genetic health of your dog), it greatly diminishes the marketability of the litter.

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby spyro16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for your help. We are new to this and in the process of getting all the health clearances right now but didn't know there were hunt test titles.
spyro16
Newb

Postby GarDuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am

Given the overabundance of dogs in need of a home some would consider it unethical to breed a dog that wasn't proven through health and performance tests.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 am

If he's 2 why do you want a pup now! :huh: The dog will be alive for 10 more years!!!!! How about you enjoy this "awesome" dog for awhile
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 am

So you came on here for no reason other than to look for a female to breed too....ridiculous....
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby spyro16 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 am

We want 2 dogs close in age so they can play together. Also I want to get him fixed because his balls are full so he is constantly leaking sperm cuz he doesn't hump objects and I am sick of cleaning it up but the hubby wants to breed him. So he is working on the health checks. I guess i am on here to see if there is even any interest in the area for stud services if he passes all the clearances.
spyro16
Newb

Postby Labs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:45 pm

This is probably the wrong place for what you are looking for....I would check with folks that run their dogs through the show ring...there are people who would be interested in backyard breedings, but without some sort of hunt test titles, you may be barking up the wrong tree, here...no pun intended. If he is leaking sperm, you could always perform a collection. All the big time stud dogs do that, so they can be bred even after they are no longer with us... :wink:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:33 pm

spyro16 wrote: I guess i am on here to see if there is even any interest in the area for stud services if he passes all the clearances.

Nope! Guess i have to be the one to tell you this but the stud market is a BIG market!!!!!! People that are breeding dogs that are worth their salt arent going to breed to your stud "that points on occasion and retrieves!" People are going to pay money for good studs Especially on any hunting/dog forum Your best bet is to find a neighbor to breed with but still wouldnt advise this! Dont breed dogs because you want your dog to have a buddy.. Be your dogs buddy
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Get him a buddy from the pound. Keep the breeding to the elite dogs with health clearances.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby KJV » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 am

Stop being cheap and go buy another lab. Don't further muddle the breed.
KJV
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum