Your joking right.....

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Your joking right.....

Postby hockeynut » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:23 am

This is a very bizarre and rewarding situation I encountered yesterday and it has been on my mind ever since and thought I would share. Yesterday, I was wrapping up my training session with my puppy and I noticed a guy up the way training multiple dogs. As I was putting gear away he drove up to me and we got the talking. He is a field trail trainer, nice guy and gave me some pointers. He asked where we were in training and asked if he could see how my puppy (18 months old, FF, CC, JHT) handles. Of course – I was an eager beaver and agreed and she lined everything great out to 150-200 yards and handled great when necessary. This little “test” of his went on for about 30 minutes. Long story short, after my puppy was thoroughly exhausted, he offered to buy my puppy right there on the spot! My reply…”your joking right…….” He was dead serious and I respectively declined and we went our ways.

My question – is this normal for pro trainers/non pro-trainers to offer to purchase your dog? I remember a couple threads back this happened to another guy. It wasn’t a big deal at first but last night and this morning it’s really got to me that this guy would have the “berrys” to even flirt with the idea that I would let me puppy go. I think everyone on this forum would agree that our dogs are more than just dogs – they are a part of our family’s and who we are!
hockeynut
hunter

Re: Your joking right.....

Postby Leonardo1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 am

Doesn't seem out of line. I am fairly new to this game but it seems to me the trainers and HT are just like horse traders. Dogs get moved in and out. Make $500 here or $1000 there.

My thought is he already had a buyer in mind so he tried his luck.
Leonardo1
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 am

One of our clients got asked the same question by the judge of a junior test before the series was even over.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Very normal and you should be honored, not offended that a pro thought that much of your dog. I may have done the same thing had I been him. Remember, "When someone offers you a good price for a dog, sell it, because you're only a heartbeat away from nothin'" (Warren Grimsby).
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:45 pm

gonehuntin' wrote: Remember, "When someone offers you a good price for a dog, sell it, because you're only a heartbeat away from nothin'" (Warren Grimsby).

............. :lol:
"And a dog that can take an OVER and a BACK can find most birds"
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Should have responded with I'm not ready to sell him but would love to train with you. Could have been a great training partner
cn44
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm curious how much was the offer? Maybe is was low and that offened you? If it was 200k would you have sold him the dog? I sell 5 or 6 a yr and as soon as I sell one I buy another pup and start again.
labman63
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 pm

I guess I am very new to this and was a little thrown back by him. I actually ended calling the guy today and we did some more training together this afternoon. He is a really nice guy and I may have been a bit aggressive with my initial opinion of the situation. I think Leanaodo01 was right in thinking he was hoping to get lucky with me since we had just met. This guy will def be someone I will be tagging along with. His offer of 4 grand didn't offend me at all. I don't think I would have it in me to let my pup go at any price - not to mention my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I didn't show up with the dog after training!
hockeynut
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:28 am

hockeynut wrote:I guess I am very new to this and was a little thrown back by him. I actually ended calling the guy today and we did some more training together this afternoon. He is a really nice guy and I may have been a bit aggressive with my initial opinion of the situation. I think Leanaodo01 was right in thinking he was hoping to get lucky with me since we had just met. This guy will def be someone I will be tagging along with. His offer of 4 grand didn't offend me at all. I don't think I would have it in me to let my pup go at any price - not to mention my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I didn't show up with the dog after training!

Wow that's tough to turn down 4 grand. Sheesh. Especially if you did all the training yourself
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:30 am

Duck_Popper wrote:
hockeynut wrote:I guess I am very new to this and was a little thrown back by him. I actually ended calling the guy today and we did some more training together this afternoon. He is a really nice guy and I may have been a bit aggressive with my initial opinion of the situation. I think Leanaodo01 was right in thinking he was hoping to get lucky with me since we had just met. This guy will def be someone I will be tagging along with. His offer of 4 grand didn't offend me at all. I don't think I would have it in me to let my pup go at any price - not to mention my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I didn't show up with the dog after training!

Wow that's tough to turn down 4 grand. Sheesh. Especially if you did all the training yourself

Not really. My dogs are part of my family and I owe it to my dogs to provide a stable home since they give so much for so little. I have turned down offers to have my dogs be stud dogs several times. Not worth it.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:31 am

It all depends if it's a pet or a tool. If they have the contacts and outlets to sell dogs, then it's a business to them. He might know someone that wants a dog at that level. My buddy got offered 15k last year, but was in the same boat as you. Whether the dog was "worth it" or not, his dog was not for sale at pretty much any price.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:42 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
Duck_Popper wrote:

Not really. My dogs are part of my family and I owe it to my dogs to provide a stable home since they give so much for so little. I have turned down offers to have my dogs be stud dogs several times. Not worth it.

I understand. I love my girl. I have a thread dedicated to her and her progression. My daughter loves her too and same with my fiancé. It's just tough, if someone offered me 10k or like the last post, 15k, I don't think I could turn it down. To each their own.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:17 pm

I you're a young person with a family and not a lot of money, you really have to think hard about the value of that dog. That dog is only going to last 10-12 years as your hunting companion, and 10-15K can do a lot for a young family.

I've told this story before on here. A client of mine owned a nice young dog is Wy., not a great dog, just a good dog. We had won a Qualifying with her and other than an Am. Jam, that was probably as far as she was going. Another trainers client fell in love with her, and offered ten grand. This back in 1984. Lot of dough for a marginal dog. My client didn't sell. Two weeks later she was dead of a brown recluse spider bite.

You're only a heart beat away from nothin'.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't think I could sell my personal hunting dog I trained to hunt. She is part of my family as well.

I could probably sell a started pup if it went to a hunter that I felt good about.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:48 pm

I know what folks are saying on both sides. My girl is no way on sale now or ever. She failed FF at a Kennel, I worked her up from a complete epic failure to a pretty good hunting dog. I am super excited about next year and expect her to be performing as well as any other trained dog would at 3 years old. The process and the bonding that has gone on cannot even begin to have a monetary value placed on it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 am

Scaup, Bella wasn't an epic fail on her part but on the part of the trainer that couldn't adjust to her. Lets see how she can progress after goose season is over. I'll be getting back into regular training then.
To the OP I have sold dogs that didn't work out for me but only to homes that passed the good owner test. It would be hard to sell a dog I have had for years. Please PM me who the trainer is.Curious as I field trial too.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby DCronk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm

I'd take it as a compliment if someone offered me 4k for my dog. I still wouldn't sell her for that though.

Heck my mom offered to buy my dog and buy me a new pup as well (she has never had an obedient dog). I figure it better be a life changing amount of money to even consider selling her. Plus with all the headaches she has given me so far, I better get my use outta her.
DCronk
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:14 pm

as a few others have said i would be honored that someone thought that highly of my dog but since the one i have now is the first one i have ever trained i couldnt sell her she has taught me way to much but the next one i get if someone offers to buy it it may go just has to be to the right place or person.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:14 pm

labsfin therme wrote:Scaup, Bella wasn't an epic fail on her part but on the part of the trainer that couldn't adjust to her. Lets see how she can progress after goose season is over. I'll be getting back into regular training then.
To the OP I have sold dogs that didn't work out for me but only to homes that passed the good owner test. It would be hard to sell a dog I have had for years. Please PM me who the trainer is.Curious as I field trial too.

Jeff

You know Jeff- that's some dang good words of support- and of encouragement for 'ole Scalp :clapping:
We talk about Pressure Conditioning a lot on here, and contrary to what many may "think", not all dawgs on this planet handle pressure as others do- they very well may not be good candidates for Conditioning.
But however, in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing, and who can truly read a dog, there's those " soft" dogs who- if properly Conditioned, don't leave the process still- " soft" :smile:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby southernwoody » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:49 am

To each his own. I would never sell my dog. He's my best hunting partner and friend and I will not duck hunt with out him. I've had offers on him before from other hunters seeing him in action but the answer is always no thank you. Also like stated earlier on this thread my wife and daughter would kill me if I were to let anything happen to him. He's as much a part of our family as anyone else is in our house. I've been honored by offers but could never sell in a million years.
southernwoody
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:24 am

Other than family (blood or marriage), everything has a price.

I have to side with the OP... couldn't justify selling for 4k... but it still has its price.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:55 am

We all have too understand that to a pro , it's business . That's how it was with my grandfather , but too me that has no kennel and don't make and living doing this . Well I have a well trained dog for myself that's not worth the cost too keep turning over pups . So too me it's different . Trust me , I love working with pups and help my friends with theirs . Tknight006 , I'm helping him with his pup and that's my fix for staying in the game . So their never should be any thing taken wrong when you have a good offer for a dog . Take it as a honor for doing a great job of training your dog :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby loner » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

anybody that says not at any price has not been offered enough! krazybronco if someone offered you $150,000 for your dog would you take? :grooving:
loner
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 pm

dogyak wrote:We all have too understand that to a pro , it's business . That's how it was with my grandfather , but too me that has no kennel and don't make and living doing this . Well I have a well trained dog for myself that's not worth the cost too keep turning over pups . So too me it's different . Trust me , I love working with pups and help my friends with theirs . Tknight006 , I'm helping him with his pup and that's my fix for staying in the game . So their never should be any thing taken wrong when you have a good offer for a dog . Take it as a honor for doing a great job of training your dog :thumbsup:

I will toot dogyaks horn for a minute since he didn't mention it.... he was offered a lot of money for his dog and he turned it down.... would have been hard

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:35 pm

loner wrote:anybody that says not at any price has not been offered enough! krazybronco if someone offered you $150,000 for your dog would you take? :grooving:

I watched a friend turn down that kind of money for his dog. Keep in mind not because she isn't for sale, but because she has a higher earning potential (barring incident) over the next 3-4 years.
razorback
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum