Puppy hearing concern ?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Puppy hearing concern ?

Postby cyclonefan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 am

Should my 6 week old black lab puppy have good hearing or are his ears still developing. He can hear a really loud clap once in a while but that seems to be it. His ears don't seem to bother him and he is doing great otherwise. I am going to try to get him to the vet this week. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks
cyclonefan
hunter

Re: Puppy hearing concern ?

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 am

cyclonefan wrote:Should my 6 week old black lab puppy have good hearing or are his ears still developing. He can hear a really loud clap once in a while but that seems to be it. His ears don't seem to bother him and he is doing great otherwise. I am going to try to get him to the vet this week. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Puppies are born deaf and hearing is the last sense to develop. They don't have complete hearing until they are around 6 weeks of age, this could be why he hears louds noises but not softer voices yet. Wouldn't hurt to take him in, but I would imagine he is just still developing.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 am

Why do you think he cant hear??

What cant he hear?
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby cyclonefan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Why do you think he cant hear??

What cant he hear?

He doesn't respond to any noises or sounds and he doesn't even look at you if you whistle or holler at him. He might be like my kids and just ignoring me but I have snapped my fingers close to his head and he doesn't even turn to look for the sound.
cyclonefan
hunter

Postby KJV » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:48 am

I'm far from an expert, but a vet trip can't hurt. Then maybe followed by a call to the breeder.
KJV
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 am

Have it checked but 6 weeks is not a recommended age to own a pup and illegal in many states.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Have it checked but 6 weeks is not a recommended age to own a pup and illegal in many states.

HNTFSH is correct and if you read my post above you will see why. The pups are not sufficiently developed at that age. Let us know what you find out.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I had the same concern when I got my pup...

He hears me when he is across the yard, so I know he isn't deaf... However, he can hear a loud bang and wont even budge. Asked my vet about it and she said its hard to truly determine if a dog is deaf. She told me to be happy because he probably won't be gunshy....lol

Hearing has gotten better over the past two weeks... I believe he's just a puppy so he's just taking everything in..

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby cyclonefan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Just giving an update on my pups hearing, it has improved quite a bit in the last week or so. I am sure he can hear me now he just chooses to ignore me. He must get that from my wife. I think he will be fine. :smile:
cyclonefan
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum