Future of Labs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Future of Labs?

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm

So I've been reading up on some doggy history and it looks like many breeds that became popular disappeared from the hunting arena because they weren't being bred for that anymore. Like the poodle for example.

Because the lab is so popular and is bred so much for looks instead of health and hunting ability do you guys see this as a future for this breed? I don't see this happening anytime soon, but there seems to be a connection between popularity and a loss of hunting instincts.
uglymug
hunter

Re: Future of Labs?

Postby goldfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

It's already happening a lot. You are behind on this

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes and no. The lab is by far still the most popular hunting dog in the blind and in field hunting trials. There are still many, many strong hunting lines.
uglymug
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Back in the day I don't think breeding was what it is today. As long as people are willing to pay top dollar. Good dogs will be out there. I just think you will have to weed through more and more backyard litters and show lines.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Luckily, hunting breeds have test/competitions that reward intelligence, drive, willingness to please, scenting ability, athleticism, etc. The Hunt tests and Field Trials, etc.

That said, I don't like the proliferation of breeding designer traits such as "silver" or "fox red" labs.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:19 pm

MNGunner wrote:Luckily, hunting breeds have test/competitions that reward intelligence, drive, willingness to please, scenting ability, athleticism, etc. The Hunt tests and Field Trials, etc.

There are also a variety of health and genetics tests (OFA, CERF, EIC, etc.) to help ensure health offspring.

That said, I don't like the proliferation of breeding designer traits such as "silver" or "fox red" labs.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby RCLCJR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I feel like hunting lines will continue to get better and better and show lines will continue to get fatter and fatter and eventually stray so far away from what a lab looks like that they will be shown under a different name.
RCLCJR
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:50 pm

MNGunner wrote:Luckily, hunting breeds have test/competitions that reward intelligence, drive, willingness to please, scenting ability, athleticism, etc. The Hunt tests and Field Trials, etc.

Yeah because we all know fox reds won't hunt. :no:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:23 pm

What we do know about reds is they don't hunt with safety in mind...

I had to
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:50 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:

Didn't say that-- there are mutts from the pound that will hunt. Most "red" and "silvers" are bred primarily for their coat color and secondarily (if at all) for their abilities. You don't have that problem with say, a black lab.

Just as the show ring has ruined other breeds where they are bred solely for looks.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm

i personally dont see it happening with labs i could see it more with the boykins as they gain popularity mostly because of thier size and they way they look.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm

I don't see it with the labs either. As long as there is such a big group of hunters and breeders looking out for the breed, it will be alright. Buyers already have to beware of hunting and show lines, but it is not hard to find quality dogs anywhere in the US.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Jarbo03 wrote:I don't see it with the labs either. As long as there is such a big group of hunters and breeders looking out for the breed, it will be alright. Buyers already have to beware of hunting and show lines, but it is not hard to find quality dogs anywhere in the US.

This

My guess is the majority of labs people on this forum own are good labs from hunting lines.

Miss Brandy is one example of many.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 am

MNGunner wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:

Didn't say that-- there are mutts from the pound that will hunt. Most "red" and "silvers" are bred primarily for their coat color and secondarily (if at all) for their abilities. You don't have that problem with say, a black lab.

Just as the show ring has ruined other breeds where they are bred solely for looks.

MNGunner,
A fox red is simply a color phase of the yellow Lbrador, much like there are various color phases of chocolate Labs ranging from a liver color to very dark brown, still Labs and not really so called "designer Labs" like the so called silver which is likely to be a mix of Lab and Weimaraner (NOT a purebred Labrador).

Fox reds from good Labrador field bloodlines can make very capable gundogs.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 am

When dogs are bred entirely based on form, the breed is doomed.

The Labrador Retriever absolutely dominates the field in retrieving competition and testing designed to evaluate function.
And that's what it has been, and continues to be, bred to do for every generation since they were imported to England as St. John's Dogs from Newfoundland.

It doesn't matter what happens to the conformation, designer color, or pet lines.
The lines of performance bred Labs will still be just as fit for function as ever.

Because, it's function not form, that Field Labs are selected for.
Form naturally follows function.

No amount of laboratory testing, or X-ray examination can hold a candle to what is demanded mentally and physically during the career of a high level working retriever.

It's the ultimate health clearance.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 am

FowlPwrcat wrote:What we do know about reds is they don't hunt with safety in mind...

I had to

Aren't you a funny one...not. :rolleyes:
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:05 am

MNGunner wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:

Maybe you should look at the hunting lines and pedigrees of some fox reds before talking out of your a@@.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:34 am

uglymug wrote:...it looks like many breeds that became popular disappeared from the hunting arena because they weren't being bred for that anymore.

You've answered your own question. Breeds don't quit hunting because they become popular for other purposes with the general public. They only quit being hunting breeds if they lose popularity with hunters. Labs are the very best example of this: never been a breed more popular with folks who don't hunt or more Labs with little hunting aptitude, yet because they're also enormously popular with folks who do hunt, it's never been easier to find good hunting stock.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 am

TomKat wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:I don't see it with the labs either. As long as there is such a big group of hunters and breeders looking out for the breed, it will be alright. Buyers already have to beware of hunting and show lines, but it is not hard to find quality dogs anywhere in the US.

This

My guess is the majority of labs people on this forum own are good labs from hunting lines.

Miss Brandy is one example of many.

That girl needs some exercise.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:10 am

Now you've gone and done it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:32 am

No, he's right.

Its been very cold here and her owner has not had her out to swim etc in a while. Remember she has lived outside her entire life and has a very thick coat right now. It serves her well as we will be hitting -0 this weekend.

I will get her back in shape when we get closer to freezing. It won't take much as the engine is still running. Its the owner with the lazy problem. I just don't care to get out much when its really cold like this.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:33 am

L&L how do you exercise your dog when it gets below freezing on a regular basis after hunting season?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Griffdom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 am

TomKat wrote:L&L how do you exercise your dog when it gets below freezing on a regular basis after hunting season?

You just do retrieving drills on land. Get you running shoes on and some clothes. It would be good for dog and man. Plenty of good options. Water is not the only exercise for a dog. I'd say most lab owners don't live right next to a pond. They find other ways to get it done.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 am

Griffdom wrote:
TomKat wrote:L&L how do you exercise your dog when it gets below freezing on a regular basis after hunting season?

You just do retrieving drills on land. Get you running shoes on and some clothes. It would be good for dog and man. Plenty of good options. Water is not the only exercise for a dog. I'd say most lab owners don't live right next to a pond. They find other ways to get it done.

Or cut back on the kibble... :wink:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Shes on a self feeder. Never been a problem as long a I do my part.
TomKat
Dorothy

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum