Future of Labs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: Future of Labs?

Postby uglymug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:36 pm

I understand that field-bred bloodlines in the lab are still strong. However, if the perception alters about labs in the general public, wouldn't the hunting popularity go down? That is to say, if the general public no longer views a lab as a "hunting" dog, because the average uninformed person does even if they are from show lines, will this great breed continue to be as popular with hunters?
uglymug
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:26 pm

As long as FT and HT continue, labs will continue to be a strong candidate. The are less moody than some, are more resiliant to mistakes in training, and are probably the easiest of the hunting breeds to train...not saying they are better than any other breeds, but easier for the novice trainer....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 pm

uglymug wrote:I understand that field-bred bloodlines in the lab are still strong. However, if the perception alters about labs in the general public, wouldn't the hunting popularity go down? That is to say, if the general public no longer views a lab as a "hunting" dog, because the average uninformed person does even if they are from show lines, will this great breed continue to be as popular with hunters?

Since when have hunters given a rat's arse what the general public thinks? Them what hunt will know what dogs are hunting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Labs wrote:
dogyak wrote:In the states , we could get a good gundog from a lab with general breeding ( mixed field and show breeding ) into the 50's .
That is generally no longer possible , and has not been for some time . Field dogs and show dogs are bred for different traits , and mixing them dilutes those traits .
Of course they can hunt , they're labs . But that's not always the case . The buyer wanting a true gundog has too do his homework and buy from the right breeding in this day of age , or roll the dice on a backyard breeding which does not turn out for the good most of the time .

I would surmise that this occurred because people's expectations of what is meant by "good dog" has changed over the years. A good dog in the 50's, might only be a marginal one today....Or have the FT rules not changed much in the last 75 years? Hunt tests have only been around since the early 80's, and I believe they have had a tremendous positive effect on the breed.

I also agree with this Labs . Also in the last few years , the level of most hunt test has raise a notch . Don't know if it's due to more pros coming into the game , but the test are getting harder in some areas depending where you go . I don't see the total lost of hunting genetics being lost with the labs where as other gundog breeds like the Irish setter and etc happen .
dogyak
hunter

Postby razorback » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Surely the overwhelming majority of Labs are neither field or show but simply pet bred and wouldn't fair very well on either side of that divide.

Agreed they would not be serviceable in either venue. I was speaking more to the form of future dogs as the two ends of the spectrum drift further apart it makes sense to me that the dogs in the middle will gravitate towards the ends as well.
razorback
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum