Gumbo gets his first goose

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Gumbo gets his first goose

Postby solway gunner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:18 am

In a recent article ive read published in the shooting media,i thought some of you would enjoy the following...
"Most shooters think that classing the American cocker spaniel is a joke-but Gumbo can prove them wrong.
For the first 18months of his life he was a showdog and qualified for Crufts.But this year,he will be appearing at Crufts in the gamekeepers ring.Owner Pam Whyte who has never trained a gundog before,told us "We started training for field work with a well respected gundog trainer and we both loved it and never turned back.
Gumbo is keen to try everything and at a little over 20lbs+ is capable of retrieving pheasants down to woodcock and he will retrieve fur as well as feather.He has been described as having the heart of a lion and willingness to try."
"We are nearing the end of our first season and are proud to have been asked back to several shoots.On the beating line he hunts well and stops to flush and i can hold my head high at the end of the day knowing that i have a dog that can do his job well.We have come a long way but our journey is not finished ;I intend to enter a few tests over the summer are entered at Crufts again this year-in the gamekeepers ring."
The article shows a picture with little Gumbo carrying his first goose-a Greylag- which average around 7-8lb.
solway gunner
hunter

Re: Gumbo gets his first goose

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:00 am

Always good hear about folks giving whatever dog they have a chance to enjoy the field.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby crackerd » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 am

Solway, that's our good buddy over at Polmaise Gundogs -

- came by at least some of his training pedigree via Avery Island (well, at least as a near-direct descendant of Dave Elliott). We're trying to get a little "repatriating" (to the US) out of him for the training heathens hereabouts. :wink:

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:34 am

crackerd wrote:Solway, that's our good buddy over at Polmaise Gundogs -

- came by at least some of his training pedigree via Avery Island (well, at least as a near-direct descendant of Dave Elliott). We're trying to get a little "repatriating" (to the US) out of him for the training heathens hereabouts. :wink:

MG

crackerd
now why didnt i think of that -wouldve saved my typing finger :yes: ..its a great story though -and good luck with the training.. :biggrin:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:00 am

Kevin - what's your uptake there on young guys entering the working dog venue? I had the wrong crowd this last week being mostly in London and surrounding area, only made it as far north as Manchester. I would imagine further north and nearer the coast boasts more dog men?

Did note a few old men walking blacks and yellows across the property.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby polmaise » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Should have travelled another 4 hours north HNTFSH ! Much friendlier bunch :biggrin:
polmaise
Newb

Postby buckmeister » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm

HNTFSH did you go across the pond looking for a Britt Lab? :yes:
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 am

Indeed he did - almost caught hisself one, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:25 am

Hold on - upon closer review of the Zapruder film of Fenton the Richmond Park Labrador, looks like this Polmaise chap was on the verge of tackling HNTFSH from behind to enlighten him about British gundogs...

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:52 am

polmaise wrote:Should have travelled another 4 hours north HNTFSH ! Much friendlier bunch :biggrin:

No doubt Sir. Somehow thinking another 4 hours North would have made for a great week. The old gal from Wick on the train was a pleasure to speak with albeit she could used a little shave on her chin. :lol3: No doubt a wonderfully rowdy sort when a youngin.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:56 am

buckmeister wrote:HNTFSH did you go across the pond looking for a Britt Lab? :yes:

Can't catch 'em!! They are all chasing herds across the highway. Somehow the chap in the utube sounded mighty familiar, somewhat like the local guys with great dogs and self proclaimed fire-breathers. But who says them Labs ain't versatile!!?? :yes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby solway gunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:12 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Kevin - what's your uptake there on young guys entering the working dog venue? I had the wrong crowd this last week being mostly in London and surrounding area, only made it as far north as Manchester. I would imagine further north and nearer the coast boasts more dog men?

Ive just caught up on the thread-Young dog handlers ?where do you mean exactly-Crufts?in what capacity were you over here?
You were mixing it with the money men in London?-bet that was an experience- whatever you were doing.. :rolleyes: You shouldve said you were coming -couldve gone for a few beers :yes:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 pm

solway gunner wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Kevin - what's your uptake there on young guys entering the working dog venue? I had the wrong crowd this last week being mostly in London and surrounding area, only made it as far north as Manchester. I would imagine further north and nearer the coast boasts more dog men?

Ive just caught up on the thread-Young dog handlers ?where do you mean exactly-Crufts?in what capacity were you over here?
You were mixing it with the money men in London?-bet that was an experience- whatever you were doing.. :rolleyes: You shouldve said you were coming -couldve gone for a few beers :yes:

:lol3: :lol3: I was with VERY big money men. As in meet with senior Parliament change-the-world men. Beyond my pay grade mostly. Next time I'll build a Virgin Atlantic trip up your way. Here Thursday nights are most commonly Pints night.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:34 pm

solway gunner wrote:where do you mean exactly-Crufts?in what capacity were you over here?
You were mixing it with the money men in London?-bet that was an experience- whatever you were doing.. :rolleyes:

Ssshhh, Solway! HNTFSH was over on a super-secret export-import trade mission.

See, you lot don't have any water retrieving in your field trials - and seem quite adamant in wanting to keep it that way. Thus HNTFSH's trade mission to bring the finest quality plonds direct to your doorstep in the UK. And if successful, the next trip calls for HNTFSH exporting not coals to Newcastle, but

Boykins to the Hebrides. :welcome: But that's only if Scotland opts for independence. Otherwise, no plonds but your "plastic" will see you drowning in a sea of red ink...

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:44 pm

HNNFSH :bow: no way...next time stick some of the latest choke tubes in yer briefcase for the boys-(wel see you all right in the bar )and head north ,its much nicer,has less restrictions (if you catch my drift :wink:) and who knows you could even end up being a chessie convert :biggrin:

Crackerd
You guys are on some kindve move arent you.. :lol3:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Hah, wait'll you guys see HNTFSH's crown green bowling plond, his Ibrox Stadium penalty area plond, his Stephen Hendry snooker plond, and his piece de resistance Edinburgh Military Tattoo plond for amphibious vehicles.

The man is simply revolutionizing the disdain for H2O when it comes to any kind of retrieving over there.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Damned straight and all funds owed in GBP's!!! :beer:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby solway gunner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Sorry-i dont trial-i got enough on my plate dealing with the everyday trials in life without adding hounds into the equation :wink:
But we got plenty big tidal water to hunt over further north,which could prove testing for a flash southern trial mutt..

or was it trial by water..
solway gunner
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum