What e-collar to buy?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

What e-collar to buy?

Postby just.learnin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey guys and gals, I am getting a puppy at the end of the month and I am starting to get all the equipment I am going to need rounded up. I have been looking at e-collars and am having a hard time figuring out what one would be best for me, as I have never had a hunting dog or used an e-collar. I was wondering what you have found to work the best and why? How long of range? vibrate and shock? Any brands that are just junk? I waterfowl 99% of the time and upland hunt 1% of the time if this makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!
jehler wrote:
jrockncash wrote: it was to big.
that's what wackems wife told me...but i still managed :hammer:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Re: What e-collar to buy?

Postby j.digiacomo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 am

TriTronics Pro 100. Never look back.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am

I have to say the tri tronics pro series is the only collar I would consider. Too often the cheaper models are inconsistent and poorly built. By a promodel and use it for the next 15 years happily.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:02 am

Ecollars is one of those things that you get what you pay for!!!! Stick with name brand and try to find a good $300 range one
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Leonardo1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:44 pm

I was able to find a good price on factory re-conditioned collars in Cabela's Bargain Cave. Even came with some warranty.
Leonardo1
hunter

Postby just.learnin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm

I had heard that Tri-tronics made some of the best collars, I just didn't know why they were so much more expensive than other brands that have the same features. So they are more durable and produce a more consistent shock?
jehler wrote:
jrockncash wrote: it was to big.
that's what wackems wife told me...but i still managed :hammer:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 am

My vote is Tri-tronics :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 am

I am going to throw in the Dogtra T & B 2500. Bella's trainer uses this collar. I have one for field work and love it. Great battery life. Quick recharge. 1 mile range. Simple stimulus power level control with a dial. No flipping buttons for up and down, levels, etc..... High and low level tone control. It is a very simple system design that performs well and is easy to use in the field. The remote is very small and I hang it on a lanyard around my neck. The small remote doesn't get in the way like a larger remote can.

I like that the collar has tone as an option. I hunt some very large water in some rough conditions. Being able to call the dog back on a dangerous or overly long retrieve when she can't hear a whistle is important for where and how we hunt. The collar has 3 different automatic tone settings for when we hunt upland. In tall cover I use a double beep setting to track her location. You can also set it to beep when she is moving and stop when she does. Or set it to beep when she stops moving on a point.

I paid $349 for mine with free shipping.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

just.learnin wrote:I had heard that Tri-tronics made some of the best collars, I just didn't know why they were so much more expensive than other brands that have the same features. So they are more durable and produce a more consistent shock?

Historically better materials, engineering, and electronics.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mtncntrykid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
just.learnin wrote:I had heard that Tri-tronics made some of the best collars, I just didn't know why they were so much more expensive than other brands that have the same features. So they are more durable and produce a more consistent shock?

Historically better materials, engineering, and electronics.

Can't be historically since Tri-tronics no longer is the same company but a new company owned by Garmin. Product now comes from oversea's markets.

I also would suggest a Dogtra collar in this new era.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:55 pm

mtncntrykid wrote: Can't be historically since Tri-tronics no longer is the same company but a new company owned by Garmin. Product now comes from oversea's markets.

I also would suggest a Dogtra collar in this new era.

Of course it's historically. That has been the TriTronics history. You are projecting the present not accounting the past.

I can't make a claim about TT moving forward just because Garmin purchased them, you can? I've read 100's of posts on the topic and spoken with large scale users of TT products for years and get varying opinions. Although most opinions are about the Influential Membership and not product quality. Buy a stock Pro 100 today and I bet it weren't made elsewhere.

Hell - Honda, Toyota, and Nissan kicked our ass awhile back - still do. Not made in America then and now not wholly owned here now.

So yes - historically TT has been the champion of Quality, Engineering and Electronics. They may stay there.

Nothing wrong with Dogtra. I just don't care for the transmitter as much or the ergonomics. Everything but those two are kinda junky. Nor do I like the Garmin unit.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mtncntrykid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Simply stating that the history of Tri-tronics no longer applies as the original company no longer exists. Moving forward with a new company is taking a risk and I thought the OP just needed to be aware of that.

I have had issues with Garmin on 2 different occasions that I was left less than satisfied and therefore choose to recommend a company that has a proven track record.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

mtncntrykid wrote:Simply stating that the history of Tri-tronics no longer applies as the original company no longer exists. Moving forward with a new company is taking a risk and I thought the OP just needed to be aware of that.

I have had issues with Garmin on 2 different occasions that I was left less than satisfied and therefore choose to recommend a company that has a proven track record.

Garmin Training collars? As I said, HISTORICALLY the reputation is second to none. I have no reason to doubt it won't continue with Pro series collars. I can see Garmin dropping the cheaper lines. I have seen more issues with Dogtra collars than TT but believe Dogtra makes a good product, albeit I don't prefer them.

If you know specific parts or manufacturing differences between ole TT and newly Garmin owned, please share.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mtncntrykid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:21 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
mtncntrykid wrote:Simply stating that the history of Tri-tronics no longer applies as the original company no longer exists. Moving forward with a new company is taking a risk and I thought the OP just needed to be aware of that.

Garmin Training collars? As I said, HISTORICALLY the reputation is second to none. I have no reason to doubt it won't continue with Pro series collars. I can see Garmin dropping the cheaper lines. I have seen more issues with Dogtra collars than TT but believe Dogtra makes a good product, albeit I don't prefer them.

If you know specific parts or manufacturing differences between ole TT and newly Garmin owned, please share.

No, not Garmin training collars. GPS units.

Try purchasing a replacement battery for a Pro 500 G2 unit.

And I never said you weren't entitled to give your opinion here but can't I give mine too?
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:34 pm

mtncntrykid wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

And I never said you weren't entitled to give your opinion here but can't I give mine too?

I didn't say you couldn't. You tried to correct my use of 'historical' and you were incorrect.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mtncntrykid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
mtncntrykid wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

I didn't say you couldn't. You tried to correct my use of 'historical' and you were incorrect.

I was trying to communicate that TT's history (reputation) doesn't apply as it is now a new company, but your right that I didn't word it right by denying that they do have a history, just not with the new company.

I think that the OP probably understands now though, so thanks for correcting me.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm

just learning, are you taking your dog to a pro trainer later? if so ask them what they use and get one similar if not the same. if your going to trust them with your dog then why not trust their advice on other things pertaining to your dogs training.

if going on your own then I agree with going with the concept of you get what you pay for> but be realistic you probably don't need a collar that you can run mutyple dogs and track them. unless that's what you want !!! LOL
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Hairy Dawg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 pm

I have a Tri-tronics flyway g2 that has been flawless for nearly 6 years. Unfortunately, the transmitter battery is on it's way out. I called them this morning attempting to find a battery. They told me that the g2 batteries have been discontinued, & that the solution to my problem was to upgrade to a g3 transmitter for $207.00 :huh: . I asked her what was going to keep them from discontinuing the g3 batteries, then recommending me upgrading again in the future. She said that was definitely a possibility. I informed her that when this battery finally dies, I'll be going to dogtra. I no longer trust them not to force upgrades by discontinuing parts.
Hairy Dawg
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 am

Hairy Dawg wrote:I have a Tri-tronics flyway g2 that has been flawless for nearly 6 years. Unfortunately, the transmitter battery is on it's way out. I called them this morning attempting to find a battery. They told me that the g2 batteries have been discontinued, & that the solution to my problem was to upgrade to a g3 transmitter for $207.00 :huh: . I asked her what was going to keep them from discontinuing the g3 batteries, then recommending me upgrading again in the future. She said that was definitely a possibility. I informed her that when this battery finally dies, I'll be going to dogtra. I no longer trust them not to force upgrades by discontinuing parts.

Hairy - I'm on the fence per this honestly. Six years of good service, 6 years of battery use. Offer to upgrade for $207.00 and likely get another 6 years. That seems (these days) like a pretty good deal and product for electronics. Doubt you'd get the same out of a PC.

Math wise - G2 flyway say $350 + upgrade G3 $207 at 12 years. That's $557 which equals $3.86 per month for an electronic Training collar?

I'm just not sure any manufacturer won't be upgrading and not carrying parts for years on end. The whole electronic equipment market becomes more disposable every day. Cell phone and PC's the worse.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Hairy Dawg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:18 am

Ok, sure. The math works out where it doesn't sound too bad when figured on a monthly basis. The problem I have is that this issue could be solved with a $40 battery, instead of a $207 transmitter. I'm sure that with a new battery, I'll get another 6-7 years out of it for $170 cheaper. I haven't checked with batteries plus to find out whether they can rebuild the pack yet, but since the batteries are encased in a plastic welded enclosure, I have my doubts.

Most of the other guys I train with use Dogtra. They are just as happy with their units as I have been with my TT. As far as quality goes, I have little doubts that Dogtra can match TT. If I am forced into an upgrade, I don't plan to reward the ones who forced it.
Hairy Dawg
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 am

Hairy Dawg wrote:Ok, sure. The math works out where it doesn't sound too bad when figured on a monthly basis. The problem I have is that this issue could be solved with a $40 battery, instead of a $207 transmitter. I'm sure that with a new battery, I'll get another 6-7 years out of it for $170 cheaper. I haven't checked with batteries plus to find out whether they can rebuild the pack yet, but since the batteries are encased in a plastic welded enclosure, I have my doubts.

Most of the other guys I train with use Dogtra. They are just as happy with their units as I have been with my TT. As far as quality goes, I have little doubts that Dogtra can match TT. If I am forced into an upgrade, I don't plan to reward the ones who forced it.

I hear ya. In some worlds having a product last that long is tremendous and comes with an internal revenue model that must support the ongoing quality. Hence - no business likes to sell a competitively priced unit and see no (or marginal) revenues over the next 10 years from said buyer. Which, would be the case in 10+ years of ownership with a measly $40.00 revenue expectation. If Dogtra ain't there, they will be.

I never saw TT financials but it seems they didn't have the profit needed to continue. So they sold.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby 11-87 Va » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am

Tri-Tronics EXP Classic 70 G3. This collar has done an outstanding job so far.
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Just a note on the Dogtra T & B 2500. It comes in two models. One runs one collar, and the other can run two. The single dog collar was online for $318 last night. The average price I have seen and paid was $345. The two dog collar is usually over $500.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Hairy dog you should have done a little searching and found u a tri tronics rep (there quite a few that are close) and they can get u transmitter for a lot less than $207. I have asked around and can get a tri tronics remote release receiver for less than $150. And I am upgrading my g3 sport basic for a flyway very soon as soon as I get a quote from a rep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum