Feeding dogs in the morning before hunts

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Feeding dogs in the morning before hunts

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 am

I've seen guys that feed their dogs before a hunt and I've seen guys that don't. I even remember reading something about it a while back suggesting not to. The guys that do say it's more calories to help get the dog through the day. Those that don't say the dogs metabolism is to slow to gain that benefit and it actually has an increased risk of dehydration due to the stomach needing fluids for digestion.

So this is more of a general question, for upland or waterfowl hunting. What are some of the opinions here? I just want to be as educated as possible so I'm taking the best care of my dog. Right now I have a Vizsla and her metabolism is pretty damn fast, so I give her about half of a normal feeding before taking her out in the woods.
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: Feeding dogs in the morning before hunts

Postby copterdoc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:57 am

Feed during and after the hunt. Not before.
If you want proof that it works, ask the Iditarod folks.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 am

Don't feed during the hunt you moron. It increases the dogs chances of getting bloat, especially on chesty dogs like labs and pointing breeds. Christ.

Feed the dog before hand if you want but give them plenty of time for the food to digest. If you can't feed them early enough, then feed then after. Keep them hydrated all day though but not too much at once. I've taught my dog to drink water from a water bottle so that she can't gulp down too much too fast.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:51 am

goldfish wrote:Don't feed during the hunt you moron. It increases the dogs chances of getting bloat,
Show me somebody that knows why dogs get bloat, and I'll show you somebody that can prove them wrong.
Nobody knows why dogs get bloat, or how to avoid getting it. Nobody.

And Labs aren't "chesty", you moron.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 am

Here's a link to what seems a good article on the subject: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/NutritionPerformance.pdf

I saw the same information in somewhat different form some twenty years ago and changed over from twice a day feeding of my retrievers and pointing dogs to a single evening feeding then. Couldn't begin to quantify what, if any, performance gain there's been but have seen no downside.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:05 am

Always fed in the evenings, 365 days per year. That said, be prepared of the need for Rover to drop a load in the early/mid morning time frame but likely not on the way to the hunting grounds due to excitement. Especially if at sit in the blind first thing.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby labman63 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:59 am

I fe once a day in the evening. If I have one not holding weight I will feed in the am also but usually after training/hunting.
labman63
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 am

Have given my dog some treats in the blind during a hunt. It's about impossible not to. Something along the line of bits of jerky or a little bacon and an egg nobody ate.
Not what you'd call "feeding".
After the hunt is when I put down a bowl with his daily allotment of chow. He gulps it all down then sleeps.

Wife used to insist on free feeding our dogs. I took over(it was a fight) and started feeding daily at around 4pm and both our dogs lost weight. She had to admit she was wrong finally.
I know it's tough with wives and children around but the daily feeding ritual is the way to go. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 am

Before what type of hunt? I feed twice per day...morning and night. I don't really worry too much about making sure there is enough digestion time when we are watherfowl hunting...there is way too much down time in the blind, and there is plenty of time between set up and shooting time. During upland hunts, I try to get the dogs fed at least an hour before they start putting on miles, and I also feed them less food...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am

Upland mostly. I drug her out a couple times when I was duck hunting on post while day time temps were still mid 60ish. Any colder than that and I start to worry about it being to cold. Next dog will be a lab lol. I'm up at Ft. Drum, and the winters can get crazy. I'll feed her twice a day when the temps start dropping below freezing while we're chasing grouse, after the season is over I back her off to once a day in the around 5 pm. When she gets a morning meal before hunting it is before we leave the house, was just more convenient to let her do that while I got all my crap ready instead of trying to give her something in the woods with her excitement up. I have given her bits of jerky mid hunt. I haven't seen a dog with bloat except for a lab that devoured a rope toy and the fibers clogged him up. Thanks for the replies, and I'll check out that article.

Read the article: Pretty interesting read and pretty simple to understand. Since most of the year she is fed once a day I'll keep to that as long as she maintains weight. Might look into different food as well. Where does one get maltodextrin and glycerol? Anybody have thoughts on using that type of stuff for only a half day hunt?
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:20 am

Jimmy82 wrote:Upland mostly. I drug her out a couple times when I was duck hunting on post while day time temps were still mid 60ish. Any colder than that and I start to worry about it being to cold. Next dog will be a lab lol. I'm up at Ft. Drum, and the winters can get crazy. I'll feed her twice a day when the temps start dropping below freezing while we're chasing grouse, after the season is over I back her off to once a day in the around 5 pm. When she gets a morning meal before hunting it is before we leave the house, was just more convenient to let her do that while I got all my crap ready instead of trying to give her something in the woods with her excitement up. I have given her bits of jerky mid hunt. I haven't seen a dog with bloat except for a lab that devoured a rope toy and the fibers clogged him up. Thanks for the replies, and I'll check out that article.

Read the article: Pretty interesting read and pretty simple to understand. Since most of the year she is fed once a day I'll keep to that as long as she maintains weight. Might look into different food as well. Where does one get maltodextrin and glycerol? Anybody have thoughts on using that type of stuff for only a half day hunt?

Hopefully you have a very well bred Viz.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:32 am

Jimmy82 wrote:Where does one get maltodextrin and glycerol? Anybody have thoughts on using that type of stuff for only a half day hunt?

I've used maltodextrin given within a half hour of the day's last upland hunt with appreciable enough results with a Brittany hunted pretty much daily all season long that I'd not consider making a three or more day upland hunt without it. But I doubt it would provide benefit to a dog only hunted a couple or three days a week and, therefore, given ample time to replace blood glycogen naturally. I've not messed with glycerol.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Hopefully you have a very well bred Viz.

So far so good for the most part. I don't remember her pedigree, as I had no intention on breeding or competing her. First season was great, natural pointer, solid retrieve to hand after only minimal work. I sadly slacked in training during the off season due to work, and it showed in the second season. However, now I'm in Afghanistan and she's seeing a pro trainer to get her steady again. I should be home with plenty of time to take her back to the trainer for a good preseason tune up as well.

I rarely manage more than weekend hunts, except for Christmas vacation and the few four day weekends we get during the fall holidays. I think I'll keep it simple and not worry about the malto and glycerol. Might consult the vet as well, we have a pretty darn good one from what I can tell.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Labs wrote:Before what type of hunt? I feed twice per day...morning and night. I don't really worry too much about making sure there is enough digestion time when we are watherfowl hunting...there is way too much down time in the blind, and there is plenty of time between set up and shooting time. During upland hunts, I try to get the dogs fed at least an hour before they start putting on miles, and I also feed them less food...

This is what I do also.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Based on what I have read and believe, there are no nutritional benefits (for the hunt) gained by feeding that close prior to excersise. All you are accomplishing is taking 1 more step to get ready in the AM and 1 more step you pup has to take care of during the hunt.

Feed promptly after the hunt, given your pip has had enough time to "cool down"
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby Batsto » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

We always feed our dogs when we have a lunch snack. Presently, I have a high energy cocker and I feed her twice if we out most of the day. She needs food and water, burns it up like a machine. Years ago I had a Springer who refused to eat until the hunt was over.
Batsto
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Labs wrote:Before what type of hunt? I feed twice per day...morning and night. I don't really worry too much about making sure there is enough digestion time when we are watherfowl hunting...there is way too much down time in the blind, and there is plenty of time between set up and shooting time. During upland hunts, I try to get the dogs fed at least an hour before they start putting on miles, and I also feed them less food...

Yup! Although when we are upland hunting, due to the time of day the hunt opens (10:00 AM or 12 noon) the dogs have been fed at least 3 - 4 hrs before we start hunting.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm

My general rule is to feed at least 3 hours before, or one hour after hunting/training.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Year # 4 of self feeder.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks again for all the good input guys. And with putting up with talking about upland lol. I'll make sure to bring more questions to you all when they come up. If there's any more feel free to keep going, I'm trying to be the best sponge possible.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 am

TomKat wrote:Year # 4 of self feeder.

yeah....we can tell by the pics.... :wink: :beer:

I was a self feeder, until I met my wife. I think me and your dog could be friends... :thumbsup:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 am

Here's a study those self-feeding their dogs might want to consider: https://www.avma.org/News/Journals/Collections/Documents/javma_220_9_1315.pdf

Interestingly, the company doing the study and widely publicizing its results was Purina, which has a vested interest in selling more, rather than less, feed.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 am

I feed twice daily and don't let hunting season mess with the feeding schedule. By the time we get out, set decoys, build an impromptu blind and the sun is coming up an hour to two have passed since the feeding. If we are upland hunting I make sure to feed at least an hour before she will be working.

The dog hunts 4 to 5 months a year depending on the year and how far we travel, she spends 12 months eating. Having her on a regular feeding, training, and daily schedule has made training and maintaining proper behavior on her part very easy.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm

I've seen no evidence as to why twice daily feeding is beneficial but have to the contrary as to why evening feedings are best.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby 940AC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I feed 2x daily, but if we are hunting that AM I feed once we get home from the hunt. (and then again during evening)
I don't think there is an exact science to feeding. Look at the human race...... :yes:
940AC
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum