Feeding dogs in the morning before hunts

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Feeding dogs in the morning before hunts

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm

I guess a lot can depend on the dog too, the only dogs I've seen die young were from cancer. Regardless of feeding habits most I've met have gone well into the 12-14 year old range and hunted up to the last year they lived, if only for one field a day. The only dog I've seen to tear an ACL was my sisters GSP, but I don't know what her nutrition plan was. That dog was 150% every hunt, she would run her self to death if we didn't rotate dogs on fields IMO. My curiosity is mostly for peak performance. So far I have kept her weight stable, but I'm looking to fine tune what I can. My basset hound is another story lol, but he's my floppy eared biscuit eater.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:07 pm

I feed same amount on 365 days a year once at 6pm I will give him about half a cup more on days I feel like he worked extra hard in hunting or training. Probably more for my benefit than his.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:31 pm

In regards to believers of feeding in the PM only, is this recommended for pups as well?

I ask because I'm currently on a 2X/day sched with my pup who is 13 weeks. Just curious when the transition should occur should I choose to take the same route.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 pm

I transitioned at about a year, when I switched her from puppy chow to regular chow. Young pups need that 2x a day schedule, they're growing so much. I definitely consulted the vet. Before that I was feeding the basset 2 times a day too, but she convinced me to drop him down to one as well. I think what she had me do was around the 6 month mark I was still feeding her twice a day, but her evening meal was larger than her morning meal and then later completely transitioned to once a day.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby berudd » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

I agree that it depends on what type of hutning? With duck hunting, there is a lot of sitting around in the cold and a food in her belly give her calories to stay warm. I also give high fat treat during the day. If it was upland, which we have little opportunity to do, it would not feed her before the hunt but would as soon as we got home.
berudd
hunter

Postby DellsDucks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 am

I go by onething and onething only feed before you put them to bed. it puts them on a steady routine then when it is season after a days hunt i feed right after the hunt when i know im done for the day. then before bed again. That way their metabolism starts buring the food and they are ready to rock and roll in the morning.
2013 Waterfowl
Teal: 13
Woodies:3
Mallards:2
Black Ducks:1
Divers: 2
DellsDucks
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

I feed a cup in the morning, and a cup in the evening. Water is available at all times.

On hunts, the pup doesn't eat until we get back. Then she gets a bowl, same size, and sleeps after that.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11 pm

If I dont feed mine first thing when I get up (even to hunt) she acts like an butt all day until she eats. There is no way she could hunt if I didn't feed her. She would not sit, stay and would start barking and wont stop for anything. So yes, I feed mine morning of the hunt. No problems
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm

youngoilguy wrote:If I dont feed mine first thing when I get up (even to hunt) she acts like an butt all day until she eats. There is no way she could hunt if I didn't feed her. She would not sit, stay and would start barking and wont stop for anything. So yes, I feed mine morning of the hunt. No problems

Interesting.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MNGunner » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Once they're out of the puppy stage, I only feed at night (on advice from my vet and several articles I've read). If you do feed in the morning, it should be 3 hours before they are going to run around.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:59 am

Look up what one of the leading causes of death in dogs is.2 hours before strenuous activity and also at least 2 hours after.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:39 pm

I've always fed in the morning after hunting/working the dogs. Once a day. Dogs fuel is fat and it takes a while to metabolize, so I want as much lead time as possible before hunting the dog. And airing out is not a problem when they poop on command. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum