I think she might flare birds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Just looking for some help on some things I can do to keep my dog hidden. My girl is solid white. I mean WHITE. I have a vest for her and it helps some. I would get her a dog blind but the places we hunt all are standing water. Not timber but a shallow playa lakes with not much cover. And we walk in about a mile and really can't afford to carry the extra weight.

We just build a small blind out off grass and cat tails to keep us hidden everytime we hunt

I've never hunted with a dog and she is my first pup you think she will be fine with just the vest or are there other things I can try

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm


Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Run her down with mud or camo face paint before the hunt.
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:08 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Run her down with mud or camo face paint before the hunt.


Yeah I was going to try the mud. She likes it any way haha. I just don't want to keep having to rub her down with mud after every water retrieve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Not sure why you bought a white pup but think about training a remote sit. Get the dog outta the way.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18932
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby mtncntrykid » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 pm

"We just build a small blind out off grass and cat tails to keep us hidden everytime we hunt "

Build her one!
User avatar
mtncntrykid
hunter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:30 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Not sure why you bought a white pup but think about training a remote sit. Get the dog outta the way.


Just fell in love with her at the breeder. Originally went to look at a chocolate but I just loved her and her disposition. Thought she might yellow up a little but she hasn't at all.

I would do that but to be honest I want her next to me. I know lots of guys do a remote sit but I enjoy being able to watch my dogs reactions to things. I can't wait to see her reaction when she starts to figure out the game and sees the birds before I do.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:31 pm

mtncntrykid wrote:"We just build a small blind out off grass and cat tails to keep us hidden everytime we hunt "

Build her one!


I'll probably just cover her in mud and build her a blind in our blind haha I'll figure something out


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Collin_CS203 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Not sure why you bought a white pup but think about training a remote sit. Get the dog outta the way.


Just fell in love with her at the breeder. Originally went to look at a chocolate but I just loved her and her disposition. Thought she might yellow up a little but she hasn't at all.

I would do that but to be honest I want her next to me. I know lots of guys do a remote sit but I enjoy being able to watch my dogs reactions to things. I can't wait to see her reaction when she starts to figure out the game and sees the birds before I do.



Well - once you grow tired of mudding and unmudding your dog you can then try a remote sit.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18932
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby buckmeister » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Get the sugar coat, or make something like it, it will cover everything but the dogs head and will drop off when dogs make retrieve, you will still need to rub mud on the dogs head somewhat. Good news is you are ready to hunt when it snows.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Birds get shy of things that frighten them and ignore things that don't. Most white objects are benign, so it may not be an issue, particularly if hunters she might draw attention to are well hidden. Know I'd rather hunt with a white dog in the open than a black one in our area, which is chock full of white things that don't have guns and black dogs that do.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13565
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:09 pm

By a momarsh invisilab dog blind/marsh stand
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
User avatar
FowlPwrcat
hunter
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

FowlPwrcat wrote:By a momarsh invisilab dog blind/marsh stand


You miss the mile walk in can't afford the weight comment? Haha, a momarsh blind weighs a lot more than just a field blind.
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm thinking about buying a sled for this next year. I usually haul 3 dozen decoys, gun, and blind bag on my back. I about stopped hunting all together after doing that for a month and a half haha. If I get a sled I will look into a dog blind. But like I said don't know if that will work either due to the standing water we hunt in


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Hell may even buy a boat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:24 am

Collin_CS203 wrote:Hell may even buy a boat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's just crazy talk

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 am

A sled has improved my hunts SOOO much. I only went duck hunting twice before I got one. You arrive with much more energy, you don't sweat as much and you can navigate the water much easier without a bunch of stuff hanging off of you. Got mine for $40 at Gander Mtn. and sprayed it up to camo it up.
User avatar
Jimmy82
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am
Location: FT Drum, NY

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 am

Just thought of something while eating lunch. You wouldn't have to break the bank, or your back, get the smallest pop up kennel your dog will fit in and cut slits in it and shove some grass and stuff into the slits. Those little nylon ones that fold flat. Weighs less than half a pound, cheap, and you can customize it as you see fit. Maybe even spray paint it.
User avatar
Jimmy82
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am
Location: FT Drum, NY

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby frydaddy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 am

I think ducks flare more from movement than anything else. if you build a blind and she sits still the only birds that will see her will be ones than come over you. im sure you have been standing in your decoys and had ducks try to land. yes your not snow white but you stood still and they came anyway. my dog is a light yellow and doesn't blend into anything until late season. she has been on her way back with a bird and more ducks coming, I hit my whistle and she sat on bank outside blind while birds worked. the other thing I wish I had put more attention to my dog in her first season and less on killing ducks for training purposes.

my last thought is and that is all this is is my opinion if you put her in a mutt hut and put it behind a brushed blind to hind her and keep her close then how will she see the birds at all? let her sit next to you have a buddy do most of the shooting on a trip or too and if that doesn't work then hide her with some camo netting.
frydaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:32 am

frydaddy wrote:I hit my whistle and she sat on bank outside blind while birds worked. .


Ducks seem fickle. :lol3: Over the last few years I've found I kill more birds the less hard I try to make things 'perfect' via extra 'stuff'. Stuff includes mutt hutts, portable ground blinds, etc.

Much depends on how you hunt, what you hunt, and where you hunt. Love training dog huts and remote sends to a 'place' for remote sit. In many cases the dog has better marking opportunities when in a remote sit (I can see dog, dog can see fall) than when buried behind even makeshift blinds.

Bright white dog? I don't know many in any color that sit like statues and not craning their necks with birds circling over-head. I'd avoid the movement when you can, albeit indiscernible when a dog is at sit 35 yards off the landing spot. Perhaps preference but always a helluva lot less crap to carry in.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18932
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby frydaddy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:20 am

HNTFSH wrote:Bright white dog? I don't know many in any color that sit like statues and not craning their necks with birds circling over-head. I'd avoid the movement when you can


no she didn't sit like a statue but her head craning didn't flare the birds any worse than my buddies head craing to see what they where doing. but I wouldn't place her there for the hunt. you are right about fickle ducks. more than once a yr we are picking up decoys standing in the water and have a raft of teal or ringnecks almost sit down with us standing there especialy after we limit out. every time I joke with my son why did we bother to build a blind and hide we should just stand here like 2 trees.. I spent a few years accumulating stuff I NEEDED and now the more I walk the more stuff I leave at home because I don't need it!!! LOL

when walking in less is better!!!

to the op I still wouldn't worry about hiding your young dog I wld spend more time on training her to sit with as many distractions as possible so that if she is in a remote position or beside you when the excitement level goes up she remains in a sit position limiting movement.
frydaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 am

frydaddy wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Bright white dog? I don't know many in any color that sit like statues and not craning their necks with birds circling over-head. I'd avoid the movement when you can


no she didn't sit like a statue but her head craning didn't flare the birds any worse than my buddies head craing to see what they where doing.


That sure resonated with me. During the years when we frequently hunted over the Brittany, more than one fellow who just couldn't stand to follow my advice to watch out from under his hat bill with his head low and near the front of the pit suggested it was the white dog pushing birds off. And I wasn't shy about pointing out that we'd killed thousands of birds with the white dog laying beside the blind, but were struggling with his bobbin' noggin' in it. Mostly as a bow to our paying guest's concern, I'd put a lightweight camo vest on him any time it was cool enough to and we were working, but seldom bothered unless it was cold enough to need to when it was just us play hunting. Just laid him down and tossed a little natural cover on him if he was otherwise in the open. Still wonder if a little white movement didn't sometimes even act as a confidence decoy in our white bird rich environment.

Starting out accumulating "must have" waterfowling gear and ending up seeking ways to make do with less and less of it also sounds mighty familiar.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13565
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Collin_CS203 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 am

frydaddy wrote:I think ducks flare more from movement than anything else. if you build a blind and she sits still the only birds that will see her will be ones than come over you. im sure you have been standing in your decoys and had ducks try to land. yes your not snow white but you stood still and they came anyway. my dog is a light yellow and doesn't blend into anything until late season. she has been on her way back with a bird and more ducks coming, I hit my whistle and she sat on bank outside blind while birds worked. the other thing I wish I had put more attention to my dog in her first season and less on killing ducks for training purposes.

my last thought is and that is all this is is my opinion if you put her in a mutt hut and put it behind a brushed blind to hind her and keep her close then how will she see the birds at all? let her sit next to you have a buddy do most of the shooting on a trip or too and if that doesn't work then hide her with some camo netting.

Yeah I'm not taking the gun till January probably. I enjoy shooting ducks but I just want y dog to be successful the first year. I'll cover her in burlap while we are in the blind. I just have to figure out a way to make a hole in the blind for her to make her retrieve. It's kind of hard to do because we are using all natural cover every hunt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Collin_CS203
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby FowlPwrcat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Collin_CS203 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a sled for this next year. I usually haul 3 dozen decoys, gun, and blind bag on my back. I about stopped hunting all together after doing that for a month and a half haha. If I get a sled I will look into a dog blind. But like I said don't know if that will work either due to the standing water we hunt in


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



The momarsh has legs to get out of the water. Look it up. I'd sacrifice 1dz decoys and take the blind instead
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
User avatar
FowlPwrcat
hunter
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby ira » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 pm

FYI, the Invisilab weighs 13#'s... Comfortable, concealed and mobile- it's just as important for our retrievers as it is for us!
ira
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: I think she might flare birds

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Has anyone mentioned hair dye?
User avatar
Duck Diver
hunter
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 am

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BooneVFL88 and 10 guests

cron