Constant barking....

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Constant barking....

Postby Max4Holly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:33 pm

12 week old pup is doing well in all aspects except 1 thing, if he's in the kennel and can't see us he's fine but if we're in the living room and he know we're in there it's constant barking and yelping...it's been going on since day 1 and I'm about to the breaking point. We have not rewarded the behavior by yelling, letting him out etc...we've ignored it but something has to be done ...
Max4Holly
hunter

Re: Constant barking....

Postby Collin_CS203 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:37 pm

My girl did the same thing. I just weathered the storm until she stopped. I know that probably doesn't help to much but it took her about 2 weeks to stop wining if she knew we where there and she was in the kennel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collin_CS203
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Clock that ticks, cover the kennel up with a blanket...weather the storm. Don't give in or you're owned.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Tried the clock...little fool barked over it, tried music barked louder than it , tried the blanket...ate that through the kennel...he's a crazy little son of a gun....
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Got him at 7 weeks... He seems to get crazier by the day...
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Part of puppy life. I know the feeling.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Have you tried shaking him like a baby until he stops crying? Just don't hang out in the living room. J/k. Does he keep barking when you renter the room or stop immediately?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

I've shaken him like a baby, threw the kennel across the room, tied his mouth shut, hung him upside down, rang his neck and cut his vocal chords out.....lol j/k...some of those have crossed my mind but just tried to ignore it so far. He shuts up when you enter the kitchen where his kennel is at....
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Dogs are pack animals and want to be with the pack, its not easy to be taken from their litter mates in the puppy pile and then isolated. I think people try to isolate them way to quickly when they are that age and should ease them into it much slower.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 am

buckmeister wrote:Dogs are pack animals and want to be with the pack, its not easy to be taken from their litter mates in the puppy pile and then isolated. I think people try to isolate them way to quickly when they are that age and should ease them into it much slower.

I agree with this. try moving the crate to a place where he still sees you. by sending him in you are still pack leader and he wont feel punished or isolated. I don't mean move it from room to room just where you spend most of your time.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:33 am

Max4Holly wrote:12 week old pup is doing well in all aspects except 1 thing, if he's in the kennel and can't see us he's fine but if we're in the living room and he know we're in there it's constant barking and yelping...it's been going on since day 1 and I'm about to the breaking point. We have not rewarded the behavior by yelling, letting him out etc...we've ignored it but something has to be done ...

Dude. It's a puppy. Get used to it.

Move the kennel to where it's within arms reach from where you are sitting. Have a bowl of treats/kibble next to you to readily access it. Puppy starts barking. Don't say anything, don't yell, don't do dumb stuff. If you have to, wear ear plugs (I'm serious). When the dog stops barking, give him a treat and say "Quiet, good boy" or whatever you wanna say to associate this quiet behavior. Dog will eventually start barking again. Repeat when the dog starts barking again and is quiet. Give it a week or so and the dog will start to associate the command quiet with being quiet, and the command with treats. It's all about perspective, the dog is 12 weeks old.

Things you don't want to do: yell at the dog when it's barking. Say quiet and expect the dog to be quiet - you are associating the behavior with a word, make sure it's the behavior you want to associate.

Eventually once you can tell the dog gets what quiet means, and you have collar conditioned it, you can step up to enforcing the behavior with an ecollar (but not before!).

Really it's on you to be consistent and thorough, it's not on the dog.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby labman63 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 am

Grab his muzzle and squeeze until he wines then say QUIET! As soon as you walk off he will bark,go back and do it again and again and again. I don't put up with barking in the crate. I know people that use water and vinegar in a spray bottle and they swear by it but I have never had to try it yet. I have probably raised more pups in the house than the average guy. (15 in 9 yrs) and this works for me. Don't be afraid to inflict a little pain, show him you mean business.
labman63
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 am

labman63 wrote:Grab his muzzle and squeeze until he wines then say QUIET! As soon as you walk off he will bark,go back and do it again and again and again. I don't put up with barking in the crate. I know people that use water and vinegar in a spray bottle and they swear by it but I have never had to try it yet. I have probably raised more pups in the house than the average guy. (15 in 9 yrs) and this works for me. Don't be afraid to inflict a little pain, show him you mean business.

This!!!! Not a sound allowed!!! They learn i make a noise he opens crate and i get the business!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 am

I am kind of curious why you are kenneling him all the time anyway? I kenneled Bella as a pup when it was nap time, bed time, etc.... otherwise she was inside the house running around and getting used to the place. I kept her in a large metal dog pen for varying lengths of time and just ignored any barking and whining until she got past it.

One thing I did not want to do is make the kennel a negative place. From day one I never had problems with her kenneling since everytime she went in it was positive. To this day she loves to hear the word Kennel. I use it to put her in the truck, in her kennel to travel, and she really loves it when the kennel is in the back of the rig. She knows that means a hunt is about to happen and she gets all revved up.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:26 pm

If an early form of separation anxiety scolding the dog won't help and you've got issues. Try and figure out the behavior and how to best calm it (without giving in) and give it a few weeks. Gotta out think a dog but knowing what's it's thinking helps.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Max4Holly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Got him some bully sticks yesterday to give when he goes into the crate.... Problem solved
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Nevermind, got bored with bully stick...back to barking. Tried the squeezing muzzle trick....he thought was just a freakin blast..... Moved kennel into living room...got worse...let him run around the living room...ate couch...any other suggestions?
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby Collin_CS203 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:30 pm

Max4Holly wrote:Nevermind, got bored with bully stick...back to barking. Tried the squeezing muzzle trick....he thought was just a freakin blast..... Moved kennel into living room...got worse...let him run around the living room...ate couch...any other suggestions?

Hahaha ohh the joys of puppy days. Sounds like your pup is a big ole bundle of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collin_CS203
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Sounds to me like the puppy needs more attention and more exercise.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:25 am

For some dogs, barking is a self-reinforcing behavior.
Self-reinforcing behaviors do not extinguish by not being rewarded, because they are self-reinforcing.

The dog finds the barking itself to be enjoyable, and thus rewards itself with more barking.

You need to first teach the dog a command that the dog understands to mean "be quiet!".
Then, you need to establish a correction that the dog understands as reinforcement of that command.

Once you have done that, you can consistently correct the self-reinforcing behaviour, rather than trying to ignore it, and hoping it will go away. The longer that you let it continue, the harder it will be to break. And a vocal dog can be a very tough nut to crack.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 am

Negative re enforcement?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 am

copterdoc wrote:For some dogs, barking is a self-reinforcing behavior.
Self-reinforcing behaviors do not extinguish by not being rewarded, because they are self-reinforcing.

The dog finds the barking itself to be enjoyable, and thus rewards itself with more barking.

You need to first teach the dog a command that the dog understands to mean "be quiet!".
Then, you need to establish a correction that the dog understands as reinforcement of that command.

Once you have done that, you can consistently correct the self-reinforcing behaviour, rather than trying to ignore it, and hoping it will go away. The longer that you let it continue, the harder it will be to break. And a vocal dog can be a very tough nut to crack.

Ding Ding

Max4Holly wrote:Nevermind, got bored with bully stick...back to barking. Tried the squeezing muzzle trick....he thought was just a freakin blast..... Moved kennel into living room...got worse...let him run around the living room...ate couch...any other suggestions?

This to me says you have no clue what you are doing. This is not a 5 minute fix. This requires actual work. How much time would you say you devote to training this puppy per day?

My suggestion would be to give the puppy away to someone who wants to devote time to learning and training.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:11 am

OmegaRed wrote:
copterdoc wrote:For some dogs, barking is a self-reinforcing behavior.

Ding Ding

This to me says you have no clue what you are doing. This is not a 5 minute fix. This requires actual work. How much time would you say you devote to training this puppy per day?

My suggestion would be to give the puppy away to someone who wants to devote time to learning and training.

Little harsh there OmegaRed. His post clearly shows he wants to learn how to correct the behavior, not be told that he is a bad dog owner and should get rid of the dog. How about some constructive advice, everyone is a beginner when they start something new, and not all of us know everything.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am

BlkonBlkRS3 wrote:
Little harsh there OmegaRed. His post clearly shows he wants to learn how to correct the behavior, not be told that he is a bad dog owner and should get rid of the dog. How about some constructive advice, everyone is a beginner when they start something new, and not all of us know everything.

Outside of this issue what you'll find is MANY that only deal with problems as they progress with no investment in learning how to avoid them. There's really no excuse for that in my mind. It's the responsible dog owner thing to do. Being new is not an excuse.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:16 am

And sometimes a harsh wake up is more effective. I bet the post above wtn10s was an attention getter
TomKat
Dorothy

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum