German Spaniel?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

German Spaniel?

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 am

So my buddy wants a versatile dog for upland and waterfowl and for some reason doesn't like labs. He really likes Wiem's but is afraid that the being now single and in the army would be detrimental for that breed with having to go to training for up to a month. Plus there's still the potential to get deployed for up to 9 months.

So he found "German Spaniels," which aren't technically a spaniel breed but they look like it. Kind of a GSP with long soft hair. Has anyone here met one? Or know about them? There's a few articles out there, but not a lot of video or first hand hunting accounts.
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: German Spaniel?

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:15 am

Simplepeddler who sometimes posts here, has one that he hunts. Much smaller than most GPSs, though, and, surprise, surprise, very spaniel like. Think he went to the little dogs because he and his boys hunt out of pirogues a lot and have found its size and calm nature good for that.

If he doesn't see your post, you might try PMing him or search this forum for "Wachtelhund," which is what most call them. (You were, in fact, the first I've heard call them "German spaniels". And, if memory serves, Simplepeddler leaves out the "Deutscher" part of their name when speaking of his.) He's posted several hunting pics and some information about his.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 am

Awesome, thanks, I'll look him up.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:33 am

Rick Hall wrote:Simplepeddler who sometimes posts here, has one that he hunts. Much smaller than most GPSs, though, and, surprise, surprise, very spaniel like.

Rick, interesting as I've seen all of two wachtelhunds and both of 'em easily exceeded 50 pounds. So "much smaller" would be relative - I've always thought of wachtels, surprise, surprise, as a bigger Boykin. The breed standard says 44 - 66 pounds, which would make even the smallest within that standard almost twice the size of my Boykin. Then again, I've had a Boykin that ballooned over 50 pounds too.

But no matter how you cut it or put it, wachtels are an intriguing breed for the varied (and hardcore) work they take on.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

Oh, well. My impression from both Simplepeddler's photos and commentary was of an appreciably smaller dog than most GSPs I've been around. GSPs, as a whole, but particularly the Deutch-ier ones, have been the largest of the pointing breeds I've gunned over.

(Almost wrote "among the most ponderous of pointing dogs" and started a real dust up.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Rick Hall wrote:GSPs, as a whole, but particularly the Deutch-ier ones, have been the largest of the pointing breeds I've gunned over. ... (Almost wrote "among the most ponderous of pointing dogs" and started a real dust up.)

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Now back to them wachtels, Rick - funny thing (for me, anyhow) is that lots of folk seem to think they are same as the Grosser Munsterlander (Large Munster) and almost same as the German langhaar (longhaired pointer). Which would be a funny thing (for me, anyhow) for a flushing spaniel to be. Simplepeddler, help us out here.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby polmaise » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Jimmy82 wrote:So my buddy wants a versatile dog for upland and waterfowl and for some reason doesn't like labs. He really likes Wiem's but is afraid that the being now single and in the army would be detrimental for that breed with having to go to training for up to a month. Plus there's still the potential to get deployed for up to 9 months.

So he found "German Spaniels," which aren't technically a spaniel breed but they look like it. Kind of a GSP with long soft hair. Has anyone here met one? Or know about them? There's a few articles out there, but not a lot of video or first hand hunting accounts.

Weimaraners take about 14 years to train :yes: So your buddy would have a real big problem in a month :tongue:
Any other breed in the world including a spaniel from any country origin takes more than what your buddy is looking for in 'Versatile' .unless he just wants it to take a 'Bratwurst' on return from 'Active' :smile:
polmaise
Newb

Postby Griffdom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Based on reading alone, the DW or Getman Spaniel appears to be the most versatile flushers going. The folks I've talked to who have them claim that they are excellent trackers and are carefully bred for such. Also, in Germany they must be loud on a fresh track, making them more useful for rabbit and other fur. They have also been used in Germany to bay hogs. They are also said to be excellent for waterfowl and flushing upland birds too.

However, is your frien sure he wants a flusher? You said he wants a weim pretty bad. There are other less demanding versatile breeds that he might take a look at that also point. He might check out the small munsterlander, which could serve him well pointing his upland birds and retrieving his waterfowl. They are also known to be excellent trackers in case he deer hunts.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 am

The training for a month is not the dog, we often have to go to training in the field. We're infantry grunts. Sometimes a week, sometimes a couple weeks, sometimes up to a month. We've heard that Weims can have separation anxiety issues being apart from their owners. His computer is inop at that moment, but I'll poke around about the other breeds. I've come across their names before, but never met them in person.

I had to explain the difference between a flusher and a pointer to him. He had almost exclusive exposure to pointers growing up. Probably why he doesn't like labs. He says he can deal with a flusher after I explained that they work a little closer than a pointer and you have to be able to control them when they get birdy. But I'll still bring up the other breeds.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum