Lepto shot for hunting dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Lepto shot for hunting dogs

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am

What do y'all think about the leptospirosis shot? None of my friends have gotten the vaccine for their dogs and they have never had any problems. I have an 18 week old female choc lab and I'm trying to decide if I should include it or not. Supposedly there have been some problems with younger dogs getting the shot. What are y'alls thoughts?

Here's a little info on lepto:
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease which can affect many animals. It is rare in cats, but more common in dogs. Leptospirosis is a zoonotic disease, meaning it can be passed from animals to humans.

Leptospira bacteria survive especially well in warm, humid areas, and are often found in stagnant water (e.g. ponds). Wild animals can carry Leptospira. Therefore, dogs with a higher potential for exposure to contaminated water and wild animals and their urine are at a greater risk (e.g., living in rural areas, hunting dogs).

Adult dogs, males, and large breed dogs appear to have a higher rate of infection. However, any dog can be exposed, since urban wildlife such as rodents may carry the bacteria. Most infections happen in the summer and early fall, and outbreaks sometimes follow flooding.

Oh and here's a pic of the soon to be great hunter...
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Re: Lepto shot for hunting dogs

Postby sharris » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 am

It's a good choice to give to working retrievers.
sharris
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

sharris wrote:It's a good choice to give to working retrievers.

Our vet agrees as well.

Your pup will need the shot and a booster three weeks later. And yes, there is the possibility of a reaction .... one of our dogs did have a reaction which resulted in a swollen face. If you are concerned about a reaction the vet can give a shot of benedryl prior to adminstering the lepto vaccine.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Foolish not to get it. I had a setter die of it and it HAD the shot; not a pretty way for a dog to die.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Uh...stupid not to. Will your dog be in the water? Could the water have lepto? Ding Ding Ding
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Max4Holly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Have it to my 11 week old pup, no issues. Didn't say anything about to see if the vet would suggest it. Asked if I planned on hunting him, then explained he had a pointer die if it...that's all the convincing I needed
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby AJBilder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 am

Got it on my new huntin pup...all it did was make him tired for a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJBilder
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I think there are more than just a few strains and the vaccine only works with two of all the types.
My GSP had her vaccine and shortly afterwards started to become very largthargic and wobble like she was drunk. Took her into the vet immediately that night at 10:00 pm. She was there for two full days on IVs to flush her system. Paid for every test they could or would do and everything was inconclusive. She recovered fully.
Can't say for sure it was the vaccine but we decided with the vets suggestion not to give her the booster shot. If you google reactions on the Internet, there can be issues with that vaccine.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Tanner01 wrote:. If you google reactions on the Internet, there can be issues with that vaccine.

And that is why I stated that if you are concerned about possible reactions, your vet can give a shot of Benadryl prior to giving the lepto shot.
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:15 am

And that is why I stated that if you are concerned about possible reactions, your vet can give a shot of Benadryl prior to giving the lepto shot.

My dog almost died. What she went through, a shot of of benadryl would not have helped.
Scarey situation. This didn't happen ten minutes after the shot was administered it happened 6 hours. I drove my dog an hour away to an emergency vet clinic. If I waited till morning, I don't think she would have been OK. Her mental state was pretty altered and she was not breathing normal. The dose on that vaccine for a puppy is the same for a full size dog. So a 110lb lab gets the same shot a puppy would get. :huh:
Dogs are more likely to get tapeworms from rodents than lepto
Before a vaccine is given to a dog they can test for lepto in in the dogs, after the vaccine a test will come back as a false positive.
The lepto vaccine may only provide protection for upto 10 months.
Lepto vaccine only protect against two or three strains out of the ten that there are.

My other two dogs had no reaction to the vaccine and we have given it to them with annual boosters, before this happened.
Animal vaccines are not tested to the same level or standards that the FDA would test vaccines for humans.
Learning that the level of protection from this one vaccine is fairly low, does not cover all of the strains,and research shows that the protection may not even last a full year, and with all of the possible sideeffects from reactions, we decided not to give it to my dogs anymore.
My opinion is directly related to the reaction my dog had, lots of dogs have no reaction at all. Who knows, perhaps it was not the vaccine at all and some other thing she got into that caused the problems. When I showed up at the emergency clinic with my dog I brought with me a wad of cash I was saving for my next duck boat. Cost me $1,898.00 for two days of emergency care, would have paid a lot more.
Talk with your vet, they should be able to help you decide if it is the right choice for your pup. They will know if lepto is a real threat or concern in your area. If there is a reaction most times it's very slight.
Your smart getting as informed as you can be.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Tanner01 .... sorry to hear the reaction your dog had to the shot, did you have the benedryl shot before giving the lepto.

Again to the OP if you are concerned about any possible reaction speak to your vet about adminstering a shot of benedryl PRIOR to the lepto vaccine to prevent any possible reaction.
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 am

I never thought about a possible reaction let alone the severity of what we had.
Vet said these are the shots we recommend and I never asked any questions, I will never be ignorant again in regards to that.
Once you start finding out all the details of the vaccine you start to question if it's worth doing.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Tanner01 wrote: become very largthargic and wobble like she was drunk

did you train in the water with your dog that day? reason I ask is this past janurary after hunting came home late and my dog did same thing she even began to dribble urine while she sat there wobblinging. emergency vet could figure it out but kept her over night and flushed her with IV and next day I took her to my vet they did more test and couldn't figure it out either, but both vets agreed they thought it was something she ingested and was viral hence the flushing stopped it. they said it could be in the water or maybe she ate something I didn't see that was rotten.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:24 pm

She was out training the day before. Initial thought was she might have been exposed to blue green algae or something I might not seen her get into. No other dog from the NAVHDA chapter was ill. Emergency vet and our vet both agree that they believe it was a more severe reaction than normal and neither one wants us to do the booster shot. I won't risk it either.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby wraithen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:46 pm

In most places the vaccine only being good for as little as 10 months makes it still highly effective. Reactions to shots happen regardless if the fda was paid off or not. Doesnt matter the species. Dosage for a lot of things are not weight dependant. I weigh more than double my wife yet we get the same dosages for vaccines. Tiders are the important factor for vaccines. 3 out of ten os better than most vaccines. Think about the flu and various viruses with thousands of strains. Not arguing just trying to bring some more rounded facts to bear.
wraithen
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum