More potty training issues!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

More potty training issues!!

Postby mr.green » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I know I posted this before but I'm beyond frustrated and I realize that's a sure sign I'm doing something wrong. My dog is coming up on 4 months and she will still pee in the house. Scheduled water and food. Out every hour. Makes it through the night in her crate. When we go out she responds to potty command and goes to her spot. But between 2-6 she will squat and pee randomly. I can take her out and she will pee. Come inside and no sooner than she walks through the door....you guessed it, she pees. I get home from work at 3:30 but someone is home with her all day. Does anyone have any suggestions short of a bladder infection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.green
hunter

Re: More potty training issues!!

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Bleach the piss out of your house
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 am

What is she doing between 2-6 when the mistakes are happening? Is she loose in the house playing with someone? Laying quietly sleeping? Until a pup fully grasps the whole idea of where doing there business is acceptable and where it is not, with some pups you have to work harder / more often in getting them out the door. If she is playing during that time, as soon as that play stops take her outside. If she's laying quietly sleeping, as soon as she wakes up take her outside.

Is sounds as if she understands that the kennel is out of bounds but the house is not. Depending upon who's in charge during the afternoon, she may be giving small signs like a walk past the door to go out or even just walking toward the door ... No whimpering or whining. Also, are you using the same door to take her out all the time, so that there is no confusion as to where in the house she should be alerting someone to take her out? If you are allowing her some freedom in the house, you (or who ever is in charge) will need to watch her like a hawk so that this does not become the norm vs a mistake.

As was also mentioned, there is the potential of a bladder infection, but if she is making it through the night I would think that this is not the case.

We just went through this recently with a pup, tested for a UTI, not the issue. He just seemed to be a slower learner for housebreaking and we ended up watching him like a hawk and wearing a path in the floor in getting him out the door as soon as he made a move towards the door. Even went so far as to pick him up to get him out the door ASAP and not give him the opportunity to stop part way there. Took a little longer than the norm, but we got there and you will too!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 am

I will say that bladder infections are much more common in females and sometimes hard to diagnose. My female chocolate had them pretty bad as a pup, she had the same issues. She could hold it while she was asleep but once she was awake it was the same issue, she would pee randomly with no warning as if she could not hold it. I took her in and sure enough it had come back. The general antibiotics were not getting rid of the infection. The vet took a sample and grew a culture to treat it accordingly, haven't had an accident in the house since the last round of antibiotics and ph reducer. Make sure and get this ruled out because if a bladder infection is left untreated it can work its way back to the kidneys. Best of luck.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby mr.green » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks. I'll get her to the vet asap to rule out uti. I use the same door and have three kids so watching like a hawk is tough during that time of day when they all come home from school. I just can't figure out her peering outside, walking in, and peering minutes later on the floor. Thanks again. Hopefully persistence will pay off.

mr.green
hunter

Postby Collin_CS203 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 pm

I've heard on here that frequent and no warning accidents could be a sign of diabetes. Don't take my word on it but it could be something to check into

Collin_CS203
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Collin_CS203 wrote:I've heard on here that frequent and no warning accidents could be a sign of diabetes. Don't take my word on it but it could be something to check into

Collin you are absolutely right and I forgot that I had to test Sadie for that also.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby KJV » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. I think Dakota kinda has it pegged. Stubborn dog. Stick with her and have the vet tests done just to be sure. Our Chessie has an occasional accident, usually when super excited, equates to a mere drizzle. Getting her to this stage has needed constant input from the family. Stick with her, you'll get there.
KJV
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum