German Shorthaired Pointers?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

German Shorthaired Pointers?

Postby Bulldog Racing » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:48 pm

I am starting to get over the loss of my Champion Hunting Lab and considering getting another dog.

Obviously looking at labs but considered getting a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Does anyone duck hunt with a GSP?
Bulldog Racing
hunter

Re: German Shorthaired Pointers?

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Bulldog Racing wrote:I am starting to get over the loss of my Champion Hunting Lab and considering getting another dog.

You getting away from ducks up there and going Pheasant and Grouse?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bulldog Racing » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Bulldog Racing wrote:I am starting to get over the loss of my Champion Hunting Lab and considering getting another dog.

You getting away from ducks up there and going Pheasant and Grouse?

No, duck hunting is my passion. I will do some pheasant and grouse.
Bulldog Racing
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 pm

So what then points you too a short hair dog? That also isn't a retriever?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dogyak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Bulldog , yes they can be trained as duck hunting dogs . Had a guy from Orlando who became a member with Northeast Florida HRC who had one that had season passes .I was really impressed myself , but they are not the best swimmers . I see you are from Minnesota , if you are going to do a lot more upland hunting then yes with no big swims . But if you are going too mainly duck and goose , then I would just stick with a well bred Lab my friend . JMO . That pointer can't take a lot of cold water for very long even with a vest . I'm sure where you get deep into the season , that water temp is very cold in your neck of the country . Good luck !
dogyak
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 pm

If you want a v dog for colder weather/water look into the Wirehaired v dogs, such as the pudelpointer, German wirehair, DD, and Griffon.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:55 pm

I have a GSP and a lab, I would not even consider hunting my GSP for ducks...a lab does the job too well. However, I've heard of it being done
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm

I duck hunt with a shorthair (kurzhaar). There are a few recent threads on this topic. Given you're in cold weather country, I wouldn't recommend a shorthair. They just aren't built to handle much cold.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 am

I have a GSP and a lab. My GSP is one heck of a duck hunter and a very good swimmer. The only issue is the cold. I don't hunt him below about 40 degrees even with a vest. He still wants to go but it makes me nervous.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

My uncle goes duck hunting with his GWP's and they do great. However as the above have mentioned I wouldn't recommend a GSP for Minnesota. A lab or chessie seems like a hands-down choice for our climate unless you have other considerations, such as size. I got an American Water Spaniel that so far has been doing very well.
uglymug
hunter

Postby bakerloo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

You could haul lumber with a Corvette, but why would you?
I think of a German Shorthair as a Corvette. Goes fast and looks good. A lab is like a F150. It simply does the work and isn't flashy. :boxing:
bakerloo
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

bakerloo wrote:You could haul lumber with a Corvette, but why would you?
I think of a German Shorthair as a Corvette. Goes fast and looks good. A lab is like a F150. It simply does the work and isn't flashy. :boxing:

Or, you could get a hummer in one of the v dog breeds. It can do some heavy pulling and still do much more.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 pm

bakerloo wrote:You could haul lumber with a Corvette, but why would you?

Or, you could get a 4x4 jeep in one of the wirehaired v dog breeds. :wink:
Griffdom
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 pm

mine do great. look at NAVHDA bred shorthairs, stay away from the show ring mess. 40 degrees and a vest? :huh: thats downright balmy IMO. there are several guys out in your neck of the woods who breed great dogs. we took 12 shorthairs and spent a week in ND for ducks, sharpies, and pheasants last year and the dogs didnt miss a beat in the extreme cold. i duck hunt regularly in the single digits here in MD with no issues. seems like alot of guys here have never seen a well bred shorthair.

DSC_0737.jpg

memphis.jpg

oh, and then after they're done in the blind, they'll go do this the rest of the afternoon. :thumbsup:
indy.jpg
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am

I'm sure a shorthair whose used to the cold can do better in colder temps but when were hunting divers on the coast, it's tough on my dog when it's cold because of the wind and water. Maybe it's cause he's an inside dog, idk but I have a lab for the even colder times. But y'all are right though. A good versatile dog is awesome. Makes my buddies jealous when we spend the morning in a blind then shoot quail in the afternoon with the same dog.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:11 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394118618.009564.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394118644.804878.jpg

Thats what it's about.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:I'm sure a shorthair whose used to the cold can do better in colder temps but when were hunting divers on the coast, it's tough on my dog when it's cold because of the wind and water. Maybe it's cause he's an inside dog, idk but I have a lab for the even colder times. But y'all are right though. A good versatile dog is awesome. Makes my buddies jealous when we spend the morning in a blind then shoot quail in the afternoon with the same dog.

We do the same with Pheasant and a Lab. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

I'm waitin on the day I find pheasant where I live in NC and AL.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:I'm waitin on the day I find pheasant where I live in NC and AL.

Same here on Quail. We've tried hard here in Ohio, transplanted, raised on dog training grounds during nesting season and relocated. Just too cold/harsh and natural cover gone.

I like GSP's. Wish some here would rein them in a bit on public grounds...somehow don't think big wheelin' was designed to bump a flushing dogs bird out of range.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Griffdom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:45 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Bluesky2012 wrote:I'm waitin on the day I find pheasant where I live in NC and AL.

Same here on Quail. We've tried hard here in Ohio, transplanted, raised on dog training grounds during nesting season and relocated. Just too cold/harsh and natural cover gone.

I like GSP's. Wish some here would rein them in a bit on public grounds...

I'm sure it is disappointing when the GSP keeps finding and pointing the birds before your flusher gets to it. On the other hand, I bet the flusher finds more birds when the GSP is pointing them for him to flush. :lol3:
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:30 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

Had five wild coveys within hiking distance of my place just outside Marietta until the back to back blizzard years of '77 and '78 (or 8 and 9?) lost four the first and the last one the next despite or, perhaps, because of my trying to feed them. Tried moving the feed around on top of the deep snow and under tangled cover but think it still made them too predicable to predators. (Wild turkeys feeding in barnyards with cattle.) Never saw another Ohio quail after that.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Had five wild coveys within hiking distance of my place just outside Marietta until the back to back blizzard years of '77 and '78 (or 8 and 9?) lost four the first and the last one the next despite or, perhaps, because of my trying to feed them. Tried moving the feed around on top of the deep snow and under tangled cover but think it still made them too predicable to predators. (Wild turkeys feeding in barnyards with cattle.) Never saw another Ohio quail after that.

That was the main downturn on top of the cover disappearing in farm practice. I worked through both Blizzards with Boones Farm, resin scrape, a 17 year old girlfriend with 36D's and a Ford with positraction. Glad you were trying to be productive.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Those were my pets, never shot, just trained on them. Not that we didn't shoot quite a few more than we told anyone about from bottomland farther up the Ohio and along the Muskingum. I was more secretive about my quail coveys than grouse coverts, and no body ever got to join me when I hunted them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Those were my pets, never shot, just trained on them. Not that we didn't shoot quite a few more than we told anyone about from bottomland farther up the Ohio and along the Muskingum. I was more secretive about my quail coveys than grouse coverts, and no body ever got to join me when I hunted them.

Wisdom makes the same rule these days on Roosters and Ducks.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Griffdom wrote:
I'm sure it is disappointing when the GSP keeps finding and pointing the birds before your flusher gets to it. On the other hand, I bet the flusher finds more birds when the GSP is pointing them for him to flush. :lol3:

Birds here rarely sit. Too highly pressured to sit. Only time we get a sitting bird is on snow covered cover on bright warm day.

So having a pointer runs birds but stop on false points don't help matters. The flushing dog actually works to catch said bird at nice hunter-friendly pace i.e. in gun range. Works better, more birds in the bag. Includes comparison with Griffons :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum