German Shorthaired Pointers?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: German Shorthaired Pointers?

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Ahhhh the age old flusher vs pointer discussion. I love working over pointers, but enjoy working over my flushing lab a lot more. Particularly when I have older hunters along who don't always want to hike out there to the point. I can keep the flushing lab close and she pushes them up at the right distance for easy shots for the old guys.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I've owned, loved both and ran them side by side for decades, and the flusher's gonna lose that contest in my book. Pains me to think my old Britt will be my last pointing dog, just can't justify making another settle for what little upland hunting we have left. Rather I made do with flushers than have a pointing dog have to make do with little but a handful of woodcock hunts.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

German Shorthaired Pointers?

Postby wpevey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 pm

I have two GSP I duck hunt the crap out of them. They do fine no issues. Like any dog breeding is key.

ImageImageImage
Imagelast pic that lab was green and my GSP actually got all those birds including a 60yrd blind retrieve.
wpevey
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 am

I have a Wire haired pointing Griffon, a yellow lab and a GSP. This year was the first year duck hunting for the GSP. It was probably the coldest season we have had in years. Once the dog gets wet- any of them they get cold quick. The GSP is the quickest to get cold but quickest to dry out and warm up. The WPG is slow to dry out and once she gets cold is the hardest to warm up. The lab takes more then either will in the cold but he gets just as cold once he is soaked through. He has more body fat and a much thicker coat but if he goes in the water the result is the same after just a couple of more retrieves. My GSP is the best on blind retrieves and pure style, so I used her for the entire season. When it got too cold I just used the boat to retrieve and enjoyed the buddy heater as much as she did. Any dog you choose is better than hunting without a dog even if she is just along for the ride. GSP can be great versatile dogs.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:34 am

Hummer in its recent form is an apt comparison very expensive not the best at off road, or towing, or hauling, or highway travel with family, however it is different looking and will get you noticed if thats what your into. :grooving:
GarDuck
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:39 am

GarDuck wrote:Hummer in its recent form is an apt comparison very expensive not the best at off road, or towing, or hauling, or highway travel with family, however it is different looking and will get you noticed if thats what your into. :grooving:

Always crack up when I see the Hummer Recovery Vehicle items that some folks stick on a Ford, Chevy or Jeep.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby FowlPwrcat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Versatile dog for a versatile hunter. Waterfowl dog for a waterfowl hunter. Not saying GSPs are t good at duck hunting, a lab is just better. Assuming both dogs are well bread
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby Bulldog Racing » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm

I really appreciate all the great advice. I love all the awesome photos of the GSP's duck hunting. I also want a dog that can run along with me during my mountain bike rides in the woods. That's what got me thinking about the GSP. I also find myself upland hunting after duck hunting in the morning and my lab would really get tired and thought the GSP would have more stamina. I really like the advice about the guy that has 3 types and the fact that the GSP would warm up faster. Never thought about that. Plus, once it gets really cold up here, everything freezes up and the duck hunting is over, regardless of what dog you have.

Thanks again for all the great photos and advice!!
Bulldog Racing
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm

[quote="Tanner01"] The GSP is the quickest to get cold but quickest to dry out and warm up...My GSP is the best on blind retrieves and pure style, so I used her for the entire season./quote]

I agree on GSPs being good at blind retrieves. After a heavy quail/ pheasant season my GSP had a very good drive and strong nose so his blind retrieves were very good, but I wouldn't say it was stylish. I never taught him casting, etc, he just knew by general hand signals that he was going the right direction but his drive took over so he found all the birds. A lab though would definitely be better in terms of style.

I will say though, my GSP is NOT the quick warming up type. I got a lab for that specific reason. He has no issue breaking through ice to get a duck, but his endurance in cold weather is not the same as a lab. I figure my GSP will be my early season dove and only dog for upland. My lab will be my primary waterfowl dog.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Bulldog Racing wrote:I really appreciate all the great advice. I love all the awesome photos of the GSP's duck hunting. I also want a dog that can run along with me during my mountain bike rides in the woods. That's what got me thinking about the GSP. I also find myself upland hunting after duck hunting in the morning and my lab would really get tired and thought the GSP would have more stamina. I really like the advice about the guy that has 3 types and the fact that the GSP would warm up faster. Never thought about that. Plus, once it gets really cold up here, everything freezes up and the duck hunting is over, regardless of what dog you have.

Thanks again for all the great photos and advice!!

If you don't mind the beard I'd think living in the conditions of Montana that you would be better served by a Wirehaired versatile such as a pudelpointer, Wirehaired pointing griffon or german Wirehaired pointer/DD. You would have all the things you say you want in a dog and get better cold water tolerance the most GSP's offer.
Griffdom
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum