Too Late To Whistle Train?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Too Late To Whistle Train?

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 pm

I have a 4 year old male lab that I have be hunting with for the past few seasons. He is obedience trained and listens very well. This season I encountered a few instances where it seemed as if he could not hear me when hunting on larger bodies of water. My fault to not training him with the whistle to start with, but at the time, "He did everything I wanted him too". (Big mistake I must say). So my question is, is it too late to whistle train my dog now? I know that it will probably be more difficult as he is older and more set in his ways, but my biggest concern is if this would confuse him altogether.
Thanks for any responses
swampboy91
hunter

Re: Too Late To Whistle Train?

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:03 pm

I've no experience with your situation but suspect he'd be a very odd dog if you couldn't give the whistle you wish to use followed immediately by its verbal meaning and soon find your guy anticipating the verbal commands by acting on the whistles. Then you can use them interchangeably.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mtncntrykid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 pm

You might have his hearing checked. Having guns blast right over a dogs head has been known to cause hearing problems in dog way earlier than expected. An no, it's not to late to teach the whistle.
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:19 pm

I will have his hearing checked for precautionary measures, but I doubt its that unless its just a unnatural occurrence. He vary rarely sits directly beside me (normally 10+ feet away) and when he does its in a blind with a wood dog house off to the side. Thanks for both responses!
swampboy91
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've no experience with your situation but suspect he'd be a very odd dog if you couldn't give the whistle you wish to use followed immediately by its verbal meaning and soon find your guy anticipating the verbal commands by acting on the whistles. Then you can use them interchangeably.

X2
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

If you're not having some birds fall where distance and conditions preclude your dog hearing verbal commands, you're not shooting many.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Rick,
I normally take him in the beaver swamps here in NC so his longest retrieve is 30-40 yards, normally closer. Have never had him on big water until this year.
swampboy91
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

I don't know when or where he's had trouble hearing your voice (or acted as though he did?), I'm just saying there are a lot of conditions that can preclude his hearing even shouts, such as splashing hard through shallows, but a whistle will be heard. Doesn't have to be a way the heck and gone on big water affair.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Yes, I understand! Rick, thanks for the help!! :thumbsup:
swampboy91
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum