Dog losing his eye, what to expect?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Dog losing his eye, what to expect?

Postby Cobbhead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 am

Anyone have experience with his dog having an eye removed? My Springer injured his right eye on a retrieve this winter (yes, he did finish the retrieve and bring back the rooster). I noticed his right eye was red upon retrieve. He hard charged into willows after a wingtipped Pheasant, don't know if he got poked in the eye by a stick or struck by the rooster, no scratches/cuts on his eye. Took him to the vet the next day and diagnosis was "trauma induced glaucoma". My vet referred him to an Opthamology vet for treatment. After two months of treatment the vet's advice is: 1. Drake is irrevocably blind in his eye, 2. the glaucoma will stay with him and eye removal is the best option and 3. because he's a working dog simple removal without a prosthetic is the way to go.

I was reluctant to have the eye removed but the dog seems to have discomfort, even with pain pills (tramadol). His partial blindness does not seem to effect his ability to locate/retrieve.

Thoughts?

Steve
Cobbhead
hunter

Re: Dog losing his eye, what to expect?

Postby sharris » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

If the eye is completely blind and causing pain there is no reason to keep it. Dogs do fine with one eye, although their depth perception will be off. You could always go get a second opinion from another opthomologist, although there aren't many of them around so you might have to travel a bit to find one.
sharris
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:06 am

Good luck with the dog. Sorry to hear but am sure birds will be as much fun for it as before! :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

My sisters GSP took barbwire to the face and went blind in one eye. The vet didn't take the eye, but she hunted just fine after the fact. I agree, if it is causing pain it's best to have it out. Best of luck.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum