full blooded or not?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

full blooded or not?

Postby Delta_Ducker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:33 pm

the guy told me she was a full blooded lab, but im having some second thoughts because of her ears, they look kind of small to me, but i dont know if thats one her traits or what.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Delta_Ducker
hunter

Re: full blooded or not?

Postby mtncntrykid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Delta,
What your going to get on here is comments about how you should have spent a few more bucks and then you would know for sure. Was it worth the savings? Looks are a shot in the dark and least of the worries right now. Make sure he is up on shots and healthy and keep your fingers crossed. Personal opinion is body length and height would worry me more than ears.
Good Luck!
mtncntrykid
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:48 am

These days labs come in all shapes and sizes. As long as you love her, train her and hunt with her like a lab she'll be exactly what you want her to be.
Good luck and have fun.
sgk
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:12 am

How old is that pup? Head seems oddly shaped.

I take it the 'guy' didn't have any papers to show you?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Delta_Ducker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:21 am

shes's 5 weeks old. He told me that both of the parents had papers on them but he didnt show me.
Delta_Ducker
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

Delta_Ducker wrote:shes's 5 weeks old. He told me that both of the parents had papers on them but he didnt show me.

Then it wasnt a full blooded pup then!!

Ive got several gold coins for sale.. I have papers on them but i cant find them right now... Still wanta buy them? HECK NO!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:10 am

Delta_Ducker wrote:shes's 5 weeks old. He told me that both of the parents had papers on them but he didnt show me.

Thanks. That explains the head comment FWIW. Too young to take a pup but that's a different thing.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby rammajamma » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:11 am

I think the more appropriate question would be, and I am assuming a bit here, is why do you have possession of the puppy at five weeks old?

That is way too young for a pup to be taken away from its mother and litter mates.
rammajamma
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 am

rammajamma wrote:I think the more appropriate question would be, and I am assuming a bit here, is why do you have possession of the puppy at five weeks old?

That is way too young for a pup to be taken away from its mother and litter mates.

Good point
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 am

Whoever sold you this dog is either a **** or an idiot most likely both. Not saying your dog won't make but you should do everything in your power to get that pup with its mom for at least 3 more weeks.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 pm

GarDuck wrote:Whoever sold you this dog is either a **** or an idiot most likely both. Not saying your dog won't make but you should do everything in your power to get that pup with its mom for at least 3 more weeks.

You're kidding right? While I don't condone sending puppies home at 5 weeks, our litters are usually weaned by then and do not see their mothers again. Physically, this pup is more than ready to go to a new environment. The problems lie in her mental and emotional development. As long as this pup gets to the vets by 6 weeks for shots and a checkup it should be fine. It could have used a few more weeks with its siblings to help establish her place in the pecking order but what's done is done. The guy has the dog. He was just looking for some input about something that is impossible to tell from his pics anyway.
sgk
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 pm

GarDuck wrote:Whoever sold you this dog is either a **** or an idiot most likely both. Not saying your dog won't make but you should do everything in your power to get that pup with its mom for at least 3 more weeks.
Sounds as if the OP didn't do his homework as well . So many out there who never had a gundog and want one just run out looking for a cheap deal . They believe just because it's a breed of the retriever that it will become the gundog of their dreams . All they ended up doing is rolling the dice of luck without thinking of health genetics or the importance on pedigree of instincts . Yes indeed , the OP went to a crap shoot on this one . Without proper pedigree , you could be setting fire to a big chunk of cash , and suffer through the years of frustration . :no: Also his vet should turn the breeder in , I could be wrong , but most states out there has a law that at least the pup has too be 6 wks or more with a heath cert from a approved vet .
dogyak
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:20 pm

sgk wrote:

You're kidding right? While I don't condone sending puppies home at 5 weeks, our litters are usually weaned by then and do not see their mothers again. Physically, this pup is more than ready to go to a new environment. The problems lie in her mental and emotional development. As long as this pup gets to the vets by 6 weeks for shots and a checkup it should be fine. It could have used a few more weeks with its siblings to help establish her place in the pecking order but what's done is done. The guy has the dog. He was just looking for some input about something that is impossible to tell from his pics anyway.

No he's not kidding . In fact most of the exp people on this site will tell you it's very important part of the pup's early socialization within a pact for balanced behavior . What state are you from sgk , I'll be willing to bet your state has a law . Most state require 8 wks before the puppy can be placed with it's new family .
dogyak
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 pm

I seriously doubt that pup is full blooded lab. It looks very different from any lab puppy I have seen. As mentioned body length and legs are what is telling me it is not full blooded. I have a couple of buddies with papered labs that have small ears.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Other question is how long have you had this pup???? Did it look different when you bought it... You surely havent had this pup longer than a couple days You didnt notice these issues when you picked up the pup

I bet we never hear from him again..
Last edited by i_willie12 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 pm

[quote="i_willie12"]Other question is how long have you had this pup???? Didnt it look different when you bought it... You surely havent had this pup longer than a couple days You didnt notice these issues when you picked up the pup

I bet we never hear from him again..[/quote]

^ That seems to happen often around here.

If the OP does come back. There is no way of ever telling the dog is pure without papers, and even then its not very difficult to hang papers on a dog.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 pm

sgk wrote:

The point is for the lurkers to prevent the same for them.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby buckmeister » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:03 pm

HNTFSH wrote:How old is that pup? Head seems oddly shaped.

I take it the 'guy' didn't have any papers to show you?

My thoughts exactly, head does not look right to me. Hopefully it likes to retrieve.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:07 pm

five weeks old. :no: :no: :no: Please don't toss that pup in a crate and isolate it by itself at that age.
buckmeister
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm

dogyak wrote:
sgk wrote:

No he's not kidding . In fact most of the exp people on this site will tell you it's very important part of the pup's early socialization within a pact for balanced behavior . What state are you from sgk , I'll be willing to bet your state has a law . Most state require 8 wks before the puppy can be placed with it's new family .

You should have read my whole post. I did not disagree that 5 weeks is too early to send a pup home for the same reasons you state. What I disagree with is the statement that the pup should be with it's mom for 3 more weeks. I'm sure most exp BREEDERS on this site will tell you that their pups are weaned by 5-6 weeks and, once weaned, they rarely get to be with mom because,as most exp BREEDERs will tell you, they are constantly trying to suckle off her.
if the pup is 5 weeks and, as GarDuck states, should be with mom for another 3 weeks, that means pups will still be breast feeding at 8 weeks. I don't know about the rest of the exp people on this site but I do not send my pups home until they are weaned.
I live in New York. we do have an 8wk. law and we do send our pups home between 8-10 weeks.
sgk
hunter

Postby loner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Whew! sgk, for a minute there i thought the way you were defending the breeder maybe it was you!
loner
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Wasn't defending the breeder for sure. Selling that pup at 5 weeks was dispicable but the pup is already in delta duckers hands.
I believe he just wanted to know our thoughts on whether the pup was full blooded lab or not.
sgk
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:46 pm

LOL sgk , like loner I thought you were defending the breeder . Sorry if I miss understood . Like I said in one post , I think the OP was looking too get out cheap and found a backyard breeder who claim the parents were both paper dogs and he went on his/her word . Happens so many times all over the USA . Also I believe that the OP don't have a lot of experience with real gundogs as far as training . Bargain shopping for pups is like cheaping out on waders . Buyer beware , all labs are not bred to hunt :huh: . Most litters now are breeding the hunting instincts that are passed down from generation to generation are being lost with poor breeding selection . It's a sad thing . Not too leave out health defects . I do wish the OP luck . Sgk , welcome to DHC !
dogyak
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:42 am

I am no breeder and have truthfully no idea about weening process. I do know however that a great deal of literature has been written on when to separate puppies from the litter and I conflated the litter and mom wrongfully so. Still think the guy who sold the pups is a **** or an idiot... Due to how he said they're full but didn't provide papers and sent pup home at 5 weeks.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:54 am

Delta Ducker:

Quit thinking about full blood or not and start focusing your attention on training yourself to train the dog. Its a real cute pup so have fun but get some good training books and DVD's. I would suggest you get the Wild Rose Kennel DVD, or Bill Hillmanns DVD if you decide to use an e-collar. also Robert Milners book "Retreiver training a back to basic approach" would be a good one for you to start with.

We look forward to seeing some pictures of Greenheads in that dogs mouth!!
buckmeister
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum