another new puppy questions thread...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

another new puppy questions thread...

Postby bkaufmann » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:39 pm

so as you can gather from the title, I'm getting a 14wk old chocolate lab from a reputable trainer/breeder in my area.

and I've been doing my research but I still have many questions.

first of all, what supplies do I need?
I plan on buying multiple books/dvds to get some knowledge to help me. What are some that you would recommend??

I also intend to get some pigeons to help me training. If I get pigeons do I also need to get a hand held launcher for the dummies?

as far as supplies for training I have ordered multiple bumpers, including a couple mallard ones, a pinch collar, a whistle and some leads when I can find out how many/what different lengths to buy. I'm really hesitant about buying an E collar because I am un experienced and this will be my first bird dog.

my big question is, what am I missing?

thank you all very much in advanced.

Ben
bkaufmann
Newb

Re: another new puppy questions thread...

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Many folks on here will offer you opinions.

One thing we will all agree on is that the e collar is way down the list of things you need to worry about. Your pup is going to be a puppy for a long time. Do not rush your training. Be patient with pup. Some things they will learn in two days, other things will take forever.

Good luck friend. They are only pups for a short time.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby bkaufmann » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:51 pm

I also forgot to mention, at 8 months I am taking my lab back to the trainer to work with her for two months.
bkaufmann
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:26 am

I'd ask the trainer. He knows you, the breeding, and what he plans you to have done with the dog when you take it back.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Hunting Dog Forum