Help Finding Miss Right!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Help Finding Miss Right!

Postby bet_black_17 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:24 am

First time poster, :help: but I've read a lot on these forums previously & haven't found the exact info I am looking for. This will be my first duck hunting dog, & a new addition to the family. I want a dog that will be able to switch it on & off from hunting buddy to best friend's hanging out in house. I hunt mostly in North Louisiana on private land, & some in Arkansas on a lease. I hunt 3-4 a week. I have never trained a puppy & I am busy this time of year with our family business & don't think i would have time to fully commit to a pup, so therefore I'm looking for:
1.) A started labrador (female)
2.) Color choices would be Chocolate, Black,& Yellow in that order.
3.) EIC, CNM, OFA Hips, OFA Elbow, Eye CERF
4.) Cost less than $7,500 if possible
5.) Training from a reputable kennel

I am located in Shreveport,LA, but willing to travel to find a dog that will be right for me.

Just looking for a few good kennel suggestions & see if anyone might know where to find a started dog in LA,TX,ARK,MS,OK or further if need be.
Thanks in Advance,
:beer:
bet_black_17
Newb

Re: Help Finding Miss Right!

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:45 am

Retriever Training Forum - Started Dogs

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... arted-Dogs
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:03 am

Hunt test season is just getting underway in here in LA, and they're a great place to watch a mess of dogs work and meet trainers who may have what you're looking for. Here's some info on one coming up in North Louisiana http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/PREMIUMS/2014_Premiums/April_2014/NorthLA_4-5-14.pdf and there will be another with the Central LA HRC in Pineville, if that's not too far for you. May also be some in Ark within ready drive.

I'm a Chessie guy down in SWLA but have run quite a few tests and one trainer whose dogs really impressed me is Bill Autrey. He would be the first fellow I'd want to talk to if I took a fit to buy a Lab and particularly one with some training under its collar: http://www.autreykennels.com/

I'd not mail order any trained dog that didn't come with a reasonable return agreement and would very strongly suggest buying close enough to home to not just get to know the dog before hand but spend time with the trainer learning to handle it properly.

Best of luck with it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 am

GIve me a call. I have a friend that has a nice female he just decided to sell.
919-928-4147.
I have 5 dogs I bred and/or trained in La now,we can make it 6. I also have one that came from La.

Dave
labman63
hunter

Postby bet_black_17 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I will definitely put the hunt test on my calendar thanks for the info.

labman63 I will give you a call tomorrow thanks.
bet_black_17
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum