Stubborn Lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Stubborn Lab

Postby wrestleduck » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 am

Well I got this 10 month old lab and he refuses to retrieve. I threw the dummy a lot for him in the water and he brings it back perfectly, but now all the water is frozen up here in Minnesota. When I throw the dummy on land he will run to it and stand by it or he will run away with it almost trying to piss me off it seems. I'm not sure if maybe neutering him will make him listen better or what. Any help is greatly appreciated!
wrestleduck
hunter

Re: Stubborn Lab

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:31 am

First of all neutering is not a fix all, that is all I will say about that.
It sounds to me that he doesn't know what you want, dogs don't think like humans and purposly try to piss each other off.
How about a little training. Get a good book or vidio a start there. You could possibly join a retriever club .
Teach Train Test and Hunt
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 am

Force Fetch wrote:First of all neutering is not a fix all, that is all I will say about that.
It sounds to me that he doesn't know what you want, dogs don't think like humans and purposly try to piss each other off.
How about a little training. Get a good book or vidio a start there. You could possibly join a retriever club .
Wayne

Sounds like good advice.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dogyak » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Force Fetch wrote:First of all neutering is not a fix all, that is all I will say about that.
Wayne

Sounds like good advice.
X3
dogyak
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:12 am

Where are you located, OP? There are a lot of clubs and resources in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby wrestleduck » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you!
wrestleduck
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Good sound advice from all if 'ya ask me.
While it's good your pup retrieves in water, you really should not make the place, (water), that pup is willing to retrieve, the place that becomes the ONLY place it'll retrieve. It's not on pups' terms...it's not negotiable and up for debate.
Decide on some good training material and establish some goals.
Get things squared away on land first.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frydaddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I agree the dog isn't sure what you want for some reason. I trained my dog for almost a yr before I joined a retriever club. first traing day they where throwing marks for young dogs so im thinking she has got this. bird boy threw a bumber I sent her and like a rocket she went straight to it. took a wiff looked at the bird boy and ran over to him and rolled over on her back. embarrassed the crap outta me. so I asked what to do and it was back to what I thought we knew. basic obiedence ,FF and a lot more work with the help of people who could show me rather than me just read what to do. no matter if your going to run test or not im a total beliver in retriever clubs.
frydaddy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum