Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby RCLCJR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm

My dog Blake is definitely getting bored since the season went out, he caught a rabbit tonight. Anybody else have a dog that is just a stone cold killer?? haha
Attachments
Blake Holding Rabbit.jpg
Blake Holding Rabbit.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 710 times
RCLCJR
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39 pm


Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Ha. Taz has killed 4 rabbits and a coon in my yard, another coon and a jackrabbit while pheasant hunting. Very cool pic.
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby RCLCJR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 am

Force fetch works wonders.... ha
RCLCJR
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby ibedamn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 am

I have a good friend that owns a male black lab that's hell on everything. From nutra, rabbits, his favorite are house cats, and even a few cottonmouth water moccasins. He also been bit several times and has almost died.

My dogs seems to always be on the hunt, but never seems to catch anything except what I've shot. She does help carry any critter I have caught in my traps. But, they are already dead.

Image
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 am

Not as much fun I suppose but I train off all but birds. Dog works for me. Younguns' can't resist a field mouse but as they grow older I want woodied up reactions to birds not anything else. Includes deer chasing.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 18870
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am

Bella is so focused on birds she will jump a locked up rabbit to keep looking for birds. Our last upland hunt in eastern Washington late last season we got into a ton of cottontails. My buddies dog would point them just like a bird and Brian shot his limits every day. I worked to scratch out one or two a day. The rabbits would bolt just as Bella approached or after she ran over / past them. I learned to watch her head. She would turn it and look at the rabbit for a millisecond as she went hustling by. The only times I could shoot is when she was running diagonal to my path and the rabbits postition and would quickly clear the area. If the rabbits bolted instead of holding I had no shot.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 am

I broke Taz from chasing while in the field, but anything coming in the yard is free game. The jackrabbit and first coon were in cattail sloughs. All i heard was a bunch of racket, expecting birds to flush out, instead he retrieves me a coon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby sharris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 am

I don't let my dog chase anything in the yard, including squirrels, rabbits, cats and deer. I've seen too many dogs get hit by cars to allow it.
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm

RCLCJR wrote:My dog Blake is definitely getting bored since the season went out, he caught a rabbit tonight. Anybody else have a dog that is just a stone cold killer?? haha

I have a 70 pound Airedale Terrier bitch that love's people and children, But is death to coon's cat's, possum or any furred varmint's that cross her path. And she retrieves duck's and geese.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Yesterday I was walking Nelli my 3 month old pup through the woods with no leash. She was about 10 yards ahead of me, when I got to where she was there was a big grinning oppossum not 5 feet from me and her. Luckily she didn't notice it, I doubt it would have turned out very good for her.
User avatar
ChasinTail
hunter
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

sharris wrote:I don't let my dog chase anything in the yard, including squirrels, rabbits, cats and deer. I've seen too many dogs get hit by cars to allow it.


That, for anything apt to lead them into a road.

Though the coyote did ugly one rabbit to death. I saw this rabbit before Peake did and had the camera on it "just in case" when he ignored it as he should, but I like to fell over, too, when the rabbit then toppled over and lay there kicking until I put a heel to its head to end whatever misery their near encounter triggered:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Not that my guys don't sometimes need reminders. A year or so ago I foolishly rolled the camera when I should have been rolling the dog for taking a fit to kill a nutria and shared the video of him getting so into it he then blew off my attempt to end the adventure. What I may not have shared was how many nutrias I then had to "no" him off of to get the notion of a repeat performance out of his head - and I'd want to bet it entirely is, yet. Bad me, bad.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I'm not worried about cars driving through my backyard. He knows the repercussions of chasing anywhere else are bad.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Don't doubt that.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
sharris wrote:I don't let my dog chase anything in the yard, including squirrels, rabbits, cats and deer. I've seen too many dogs get hit by cars to allow it.


That, for anything apt to lead them into a road.

Though the coyote did ugly one rabbit to death. I saw this rabbit before Peake did and had the camera on it "just in case" when he ignored it as he should, but I like to fell over, too, when the rabbit then toppled over and lay there kicking until I put a heel to its head to end whatever misery their near encounter triggered:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Not that my guys don't sometimes need reminders. A year or so ago I foolishly rolled the camera when I should have been rolling the dog for taking a fit to kill a nutria and shared the video of him getting so into it he then blew off my attempt to end the adventure. What I may not have shared was how many nutrias I then had to "no" him off of to get the notion of a repeat performance out of his head - and I'd want to bet it entirely is, yet. Bad me, bad.


Rick- What exactly happened to the rabbit? He just toppled over unexpectedly for no reason?
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Exactly that. Just fell over kicking. Wish I had it videoed, was like a seizure or heart attack. Or maybe he was already near death from something. You can safely bet I didn't handle, much less chance eating, it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Rick was that the video with 'yote in the puddle suspiciously eyeing his tail?
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12423
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 pm

He's on the flotant in a flood canal, but that's the one. What I wouldn't have given to see him crunch that tail:


(And I should have my own arse whipped for how I handled it.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Rick Hall wrote:He's on the flotant in a flood canal, but that's the one. What I wouldn't have given to see him crunch that tail:


(And I should have my own arse whipped for how I handled it.)


:lol3: :lol3: .
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12423
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Exactly that. Just fell over kicking. Wish I had it videoed, was like a seizure or heart attack. Or maybe he was already near death from something. You can safely bet I didn't handle, much less chance eating, it.



Opossum in a rabbit suit? :mrgreen:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Jarbo03
hunter
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: KANSAS

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby ibedamn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Rick you and your dogs remind me of that beer commercial. THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD :lol3:

Please just keep em coming.
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby frydaddy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:08 pm

we have dang squirrels running the top of our 8ft fence. my dog has started chasing them. she even runs and jumps at the fence when I first let her out even if they aren't there. it is like she is trying to flush them out. I have tried the ecollar on her and she stops after the first pump but she goes right back at it when the collar is off. so far it hasn't happened in the field she is all business but at home she goes right back at it. im worried that she is going to re injur her front ankle. she doesn't just jump up she jumps and hits it, she has broken a few boards doing it she is crazy!! im thinking of putting up an electric fence for a month or two. but would also be open to other suggestions.
frydaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 pm

ibedamn wrote:Rick you and your dogs remind me of that beer commercial. THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD :lol3:

Please just keep em coming.


Are you kidding? That cat has women all over him. All we've got is marsh muck.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby ibedamn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
ibedamn wrote:Rick you and your dogs remind me of that beer commercial. THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD :lol3:

Please just keep em coming.


Are you kidding? That cat has women all over him. All we've got is marsh muck.


Then more women need to be reading your post. They'll come around then.
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Dunno. I'm thinking we're lucky Sweet Chereau even feeds us.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby RCLCJR » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm

I see no bad coming from him chasing squirrels and rabbits. We live at a dead end on the lake plus all the critters to chase are in the back yard and towards the woods, no cars there. Also, he is strictly a duck dog and I don't run into a whole lot of critters other than ducks when we are hunting so he knows the difference.
RCLCJR
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests