Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: Duck dog/ Rabbit Dog

Postby BigBurk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 pm

My basset hound is a well rounded hunting dog, rabbits and upland birds are his area when he gets taken out into the field but have used him for geese a few times. Pretty funny watching a basset dragging back geese almost as big as him. My waterfowl dog isn't a normal breed one would use but despite being a Newfoundland retriever/great Pyrenees he's became an awesome waterfowler, he was originally bought for guard dog/ coyote hunting but has became a well rounded hunting dog. It's all in the training, having one dog that can hunt multiple game is a great bonus for both you and the dog
BigBurk
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:32 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
sharris wrote:I don't let my dog chase anything in the yard, including squirrels, rabbits, cats and deer. I've seen too many dogs get hit by cars to allow it.

Rick- What exactly happened to the rabbit? He just toppled over unexpectedly for no reason?

Rabbits shock very easily.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 am

Rick Hall wrote:Exactly that. Just fell over kicking. Wish I had it videoed, was like a seizure or heart attack. Or maybe he was already near death from something. You can safely bet I didn't handle, much less chance eating, it.

Pretty crazy stuff. Like you stated, perhaps that bunny was on the verge of a cardiac event and the presence of the coyote was the final blow.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby copterdoc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:27 am

HNTFSH wrote:...Younguns' can't resist a field mouse but as they grow older I want woodied up reactions to birds not anything else.....
My now eight year old HRCH UH MH still loves him a field mouse or two when hunting upland.

I don't begrudge him a well earned snack, when he works so hard for me, and follows my silly Human rules without signs of complaint.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 am

copterdoc wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:...Younguns' can't resist a field mouse but as they grow older I want woodied up reactions to birds not anything else.....
My now eight year old HRCH UH MH still loves him a field mouse or two when hunting upland.

I don't begrudge him a well earned snack, when he works so hard for me, and follows my silly Human rules without signs of complaint.

Always let a young guy till 2 mouse if he chooses, for fun. Seems more mousing near the duck blind than training fields. But after they've been trained off fur and are purposeful in seeking birds, can't recall having to correct them off mice. They just don't care. I can read the body language on a rabbit but the hunt don't ensue.

Remember a few skunk and possum pointed by friends dogs. Skunk-wise lucky to have avoided a stink outcome.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am

I agree. My pup used to mouse up a storm. Now she runs past rabbits and mice with hardly a look. We went for a long walk last night. Close to sunset the mice were everywhere feeding and moving about. In some spots I could see a dozen or more moving around. She just watched them running around and would move past their holes and give them a quick sniff. She is just past two years old and has figured out that birds are her target.

She spent a good part of the walk going on point while looking at ducks in the flooded creek we were walking along. I may just have to start working on pointing training with her and see if it develops enough to turn her into a pointer.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum