Catching pigeons in City?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Catching pigeons in City?

Postby C.J. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

I spoke with the GW and he said have at it since they are a pest. I was thinking of taking a coon trap or fishing net and trying to catch a few while feeding bird seed since these things will literally walk right up to you. has anyone tried this or know of any easier methods?
C.J.
hunter

Re: Catching pigeons in City?

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

I wouldnt do that!!!!!!!!!!! Not against the law but Joe public johnny do gooder will call the cops on you!!

Find some bird traps Buy one then make some others pretty easy to make (coon traps wont work) and start looking under bridges, see if you can get some business to let you on their roof, loading dock, etc.. If you can find them under a bridge at night with a long handle fishing net and flash light you can catch some but you will probably get a visit from the cops too
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 am

While walking the streets of London a few weeks ago I admired how easy catching pigeons would be with a net. Personally I'd do it in low traffic hours. Just be swift and organized.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

I used to work for wildlife solutions. You are required to acquire permission to trap anything on any kind of property owned by either the city or company. As stated, coon traps will not work. We used big cages with seed inside. The doors were just pins that would open into the cage, but could not open out. You could make some with a little redneck ingenuity that will work. If you have permission, I'd seek out rooftops out of the sight of the public eye.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby C.J. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:18 am

This will be a very low key out of sight out of mind thing trust me
C.J.
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:19 am

if questioned by the public tell them you are removing them for the city.. :biggrin: NOT dog training city people are wierd
also depends on where you are.. Dont know your % of tree hugger type
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 am

We stuck them in a big bag on the roof. You can bend their wings behing their backs so they can't fly away.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 am

i_willie12 wrote:if questioned by the public tell them you are removing them for the city.. :biggrin: NOT dog training city people are wierd
also depends on where you are.. Dont know your % of tree hugger type

Always helps when you refer to them as "Feral Pigeons'. :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 am

I used to do it in DC. I sat on a bench with birdseed at my feet. They'd fly in and I'd reach down and grab them quickly. Used to get a dozen or so in about 5 minutes. I have videos of it. Hilarious times.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am

i dont know why i didnt think of this before! pull the primary feathers and throw that joker out of a winger instant cripple! sorry back to what was going on ADD kicks in everyonce and awhile (alot).
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm

i was going to do it in baltimore a while back. DNR told me that since they're not a controlled species, they're able to be trapped as long as you have permission from the residence/building owner/etc that you're trapping on. on a whim, i called BPD to ask if there was anything wrong with it (or if there were any laws i was breaking) and had a cop say "leave the **** pigeons alone" and hung up the phone in my ear. that was enough for me to not do it. i pay a kid to catch 25 a time for me now.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Forget the a** PETA wanna be cop. It is completely legal. Just because a cop says don't do it doesn't mean it's illegal. I've caught many that way and had many police people stop just to ask why. Fast and cheap way to do it.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Do you have to worry about diseased pigeons?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:13 am

If you can find them under a bridge at night with a long handle fishing net and flash light you can catch some but you will probably get a visit from the cops too

This is how I do it. I have met many curious police officers, who have a lots of questions, but have never had any problems. I use a net on the end of a pool cleaning pole that adjusts to the height that is needed under any given bridge. You can also get adjustable paint poles and Home Depot that will work. I would guess my net is 24" across. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 at a time. Once they are in the net, I give it a little flip which sends the pigeon over the frame of the net, trapping them inside. If not they will get out before you get them to the ground. You'll develop your own technique. Also the net banging against the concrete and steel of the bridge will cut it pretty quickly. I use duck tape to reinforce where the frame runs through the netting.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum